Updates to the Seas Pavilion

RSoxNo1

Even though I love EPCOT and think it was the best theme park Disney has ever built, that's a little misleading since EPCOT was the only other park on property in 1987. By 2007, people could skip EPCOT entirely and still go to three other parks. Of course EPCOT was also significantly worse in 2007 than it was in 1987, but there are multiple factors at work there.
All the other parks rebounded from the opening of Disney's Animal Kingdom much quicker than Epcot. 20 years of disjointed piecemeal additions didn't help the park and come December 5th it is very likely going to be the worst Disney park in the country, if it isn't there already.

Brer Panther

None of which were built when Iger was CEO.

I believe the point was that IP rides from now on will be the rule, not the exception.
Which is why I'm hoping they don't touch the Imagination pavilion until Iger leaves. If Journey Into Imagination With Figment being open for another millennium is the only thing keeping Figment in EPCOT, I'm okay with that.

UNCgolf

All the other parks rebounded from the opening of Disney's Animal Kingdom much quicker than Epcot. 20 years of disjointed piecemeal additions didn't help the park and come December 5th it is very likely going to be the worst Disney park in the country, if it isn't there already.

It's been fighting for the crown of Disney's worst park since the late 1990s. Future World has been a mess ever since Horizons went down and was replaced by Mission: Space, and it's just gotten progressively worse from there. World Showcase is the only saving grace.

MonorailCoral

It's been fighting for the crown of Disney's worst park since the late 1990s. Future World has been a mess ever since Horizons went down and was replaced by Mission: Space, and it's just gotten progressively worse from there. World Showcase is the only saving grace.
If the World Showcase is considered the saving grace, that's really bad...There really isn't anything there of actual substance to experience or see (other than Maelstrom...err...Frozen) that you really can't experience at Downtown Disney...err...Disney Springs. Ok, maybe a couple 360-degree movies and a night show...For taking up half the park, is that really worth the price of half a $100+ admission ticket? And the dining/purchase options, if I had to guess, are even more varied at DD...err...DS with free admission and parking!

Maybe 40-50 years ago, the idea of a bringing a paid "world fair" to a theme park when the world felt much larger and more distant was a great idea...But now in 2019, with how "small" the world has become, showcasing the (mostly outdated) stereotypes of merely 11 countries + apparently a few more soon just feels like a huge, overpriced (for admission) waste of park space.

What they could do there if they demolish all the countries and start fresh...Like what DCA is to DL, or like what Islands of Adventure is to Universal Studios...The bulk of the infrastructure is already in place, the possibilities are endless, and the potential is huge. They could singlehandedly re-shift the main draw within WDW to around what would be the former World Showcase Lagoon in one massive overhaul, but for now, it's time to get excited for...the shoppings and dinings of Brazil.

Last edited:

Timothy_Q

What they could do there if they demolish all the countries and start fresh...Like what DCA is to DL, or like what Islands of Adventure is to Universal Studios...The bulk of the infrastructure is already in place, the possibilities are endless, and the potential is huge.
Or you know, just use the expansion pads available and add rides to every country
Plus the pads for extra countries.

World Showcase could have 13 rides, plus the existing movies

Last edited:

UNCgolf

If the World Showcase is considered the saving grace, that's really bad...There really isn't anything there of actual substance to experience or see (other than Maelstrom...err...Frozen) that you really can't experience at Downtown Disney...err...Disney Springs. Ok, maybe a couple 360-degree movies and a night show...For taking up half the park, is that really worth the price of half a $100+ admission ticket? And the dining/purchase options, if I had to guess, are even more varied at DD...err...DS with free admission and parking!

Maybe 40-50 years ago, the idea of a bringing a paid "world fair" to a theme park when the world felt much larger and more distant was a great idea...But now in 2019, with how "small" the world has become, showcasing the (mostly outdated) stereotypes of merely 11 countries + apparently a few more soon just feels like a huge, overpriced (for admission) waste of park space.

What they could do there if they demolish all the countries and start fresh...Like what DCA is to DL, or like what Islands of Adventure is to Universal Studios...The bulk of the infrastructure is already in place, the possibilities are endless, and the potential is huge. They could singlehandedly re-shift the main draw within WDW to around what would be the former World Showcase Lagoon in one massive overhaul, but for now, it's time to get excited for...the shoppings and dinings of Brazil.

Eh, I don't think the World Showcase is anything like Disney Springs. The World Showcase probably isn't as good as it used to be, but most of the stuff in the World Showcase (both the merchandise and dining) isn't available in Disney Springs. It may not be for you, but I really enjoy the World Showcase (and it's one of my girlfriend's favorite places period at Disney). And I've actually visited half of those countries.

The original Future World was always the biggest draw, but World Showcase was an integral part of the original tremendous EPCOT too,

Epcot_Imagineer

I would say that I wished they treated the inside of the pavilion as well as they treated the sign -- but I believe I very recently saw images floating around of repair being done to the inside of the tanks. I'm appreciating some love finally coming to the Seas. I will never be okay with the god awful ride, but I would be happy with the aquarium itself if it received continual updates and refurbs to the exhibits.

gustaftp

How many actual countries have you visited that are portrayed at EPCOT? I've been to most -- several times. I don't see a whole lot of "mostly outdated stereotypes" being portrayed there. My Oma's hometown looks so much like the Germany pavilion that it is really quite remarkable.

Granted, the people in Germany maybe don't dress that way every day - but they do during Oktoberfest. The World Showcase is about representing and celebrating the cultural heritage and history of those places, which is what makes them unique. Would you rather see a World Showcase with modern glassy buildings that all look similar to each other?

A lot of Americans don't ever leave this continent. And of those who do, a lot of people don't travel to other countries past their 20s. While the internet may have made it easier for people in other countries to communicate, how often do Americans even get a small taste of being immersed in a culture that is different from their own?

Steph15251

Or you know, just use the expansion pads available and add rides to every country
Plus the pads for extra countries.

World Showcase could have 13 rides, plus the existing movies
Yup ,at least they are adding to France and UK,now I feel they need to add a ride to japan,Italy and Germany .I do not think they all need a ride.

Bender123

How many actual countries have you visited that are portrayed at EPCOT? I've been to most -- several times. I don't see a whole lot of "mostly outdated stereotypes" being portrayed there. My Oma's hometown looks so much like the Germany pavilion that it is really quite remarkable.

Granted, the people in Germany maybe don't dress that way every day - but they do during Oktoberfest. The World Showcase is about representing and celebrating the cultural heritage and history of those places, which is what makes them unique. Would you rather see a World Showcase with modern glassy buildings that all look similar to each other?

A lot of Americans don't ever leave this continent. And of those who do, a lot of people don't travel to other countries past their 20s. While the internet may have made it easier for people in other countries to communicate, how often do Americans even get a small taste of being immersed in a culture that is different from their own?

People who rip on EPCOT countries as stereotypes don't seem to understand why they are interesting...

Nobody goes to Germany to see the financial sector of Frankfurt and people in suits going to work at a bank. They want to see Lederhosen, Dirndls and festivals. Nobody wants to see Japanese salary men walking to the train and then to the office then going for drinks after work.

EPCOT is supposed to be a distilled version of unique countries, so stereotypes are sort of the best way to do it. Outside the stereotypes, different nations are pretty much identical in the way daily life goes. Offices, trains, watch TV, etc...Go to anybody in Europe that hasn't been to the US and they think everyone walks around in Cowboy hats, has a revolver strapped to our hip and eats nothing but McDonalds.

trainplane3

Offices, trains, watch TV, etc...Go to anybody in Europe that hasn't been to the US and they think everyone walks around in Cowboy hats, has a revolver strapped to our hip and eats nothing but McDonalds.
I met someone fitting that description in the airport. He had McDonald's, a cowboy hat, and a small revolver strapped to his ankle.

He was a air marshal and was always proud to tell us what he was carrying onto the flight that day.

ppete1975

the festivals and drinking around the world are the only thing keeping them relevant.

It really hurts my soul to say that, but epcot would be a ghost town.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
People who rip on EPCOT countries as stereotypes don't seem to understand why they are interesting...

Nobody goes to Germany to see the financial sector of Frankfurt and people in suits going to work at a bank. They want to see Lederhosen, Dirndls and festivals. Nobody wants to see Japanese salary men walking to the train and then to the office then going for drinks after work.

EPCOT is supposed to be a distilled version of unique countries, so stereotypes are sort of the best way to do it. Outside the stereotypes, different nations are pretty much identical in the way daily life goes. Offices, trains, watch TV, etc...Go to anybody in Europe that hasn't been to the US and they think everyone walks around in Cowboy hats, has a revolver strapped to our hip and eats nothing but McDonalds.

So one could say that the representations in World Showcase are a ... timeless ... portrait of each country? Imagine that... How could they build something timeless in 1982/83/89, when they didn't have a merchandising executive like Bob Chapek telling them to do it???

MonorailCoral

I've been to 4 (USA, Mexico, United Kingdom, France)...And without having been to Canada, I'm pretty sure it may as well be "USA lite". Lord knows I already encounter my share of Canadians every winter anyway. ;)

Yes, I still consider those 4 (and probably 5 ;)) pavilions a waste of paid space. Considering the vast amount of cultural heritage and history of each, a single pavilion can in no way even attempt to skim that surface, and is really futile in trying...other than being forced to play to pigeonholed stereotypes displayed in neat little "packages" to make it convenient for us Americans to reinforce what we think we know about 10 other countries. :happy: I'm actually quite surprised that in this day and age, those other countries still push those stereotypes by sponsoring their pavilions!

Bulldoze them all (including USA), use the space for a world-class (no pun intended ;)) co-theme park, and make Epcot Great Again!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom