Updates on Kilamanjaro Safaris Refurb?

steve76

Original Poster
Does anyone have any updates on the reworking of the Kilamanjaro Safari final showscene? The initial announcement said that work would start in the spring and be completed by fall (with the attraction staying open during that time). I haven't really heard anything since - have they started yet?

I'm sure they'll do a great job, hopefully it will be complete when I visit in September. I'm curious as to how the new Zebra scene will fit in (with backstage access etc.), and how they'll manage having an operational attraction go right though the middle of the construction site. Can they re-route the vehicles, or will they just be driving through a tunnel of construction walls?

emcclay

A couple weeks ago, we did not see any zebras at all. Our safari guide did not stop by Big Red, either. She pointed him out and sped by.

I_heart_Tigger

Yesterday we did not stop at Big Red, poachers were barely mentioned. The baby elephant was pointed out in the end but we didn't really have a storyline to go along with it.

Also, didn't the bridge used to move and shift so it seemed like you were going to fall in? We just sped right over it.

But on a good note, the giraffes stopped our vehicle, one stayed in front of it, keeping it from moving while two others came down each side looking into the vehicle and the male lion was awake.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Also, didn't the bridge used to move and shift so it seemed like you were going to fall in? We just sped right over it.
Thats sometimes a mechanical issue, sometimes operational where it doesn't have time to reset after the jeep infront. A semi hidden signal lets the driver know what to expect.

nepalostparks

Yes, work has begun. After going through the "busted" gate off of the reserve, there is brand new sod (grass) that has been installed in several areas on both sides of the ride path in several spots, including all around the poachers camp (although most if not all of those show elements were still there). Our driver did the usual spiel about the poachers. Little Red was not moving in the truck.

The zebras are visible - but barely. Just past the bridge that I_heart_Tigger mentioned, if you look through the clearing on the left up on the hill, they are in that area currently. They were there about three weeks ago, and were there again yesterday.

Tip Top Club

^ The Zebras have been out on that savanna since they were removed from the attraction in 2007.

Yes work has begun on the new savanna, there is new sod around the finale scene, but the script has not been changed yet, so those you who mentioned "Very littler poachers" that's just because your drivers weren't very good. And just to clarify the vehicles have never stopped by Little Red, They may have slowed, down, but I imagine it's just because he's currently not working that they sped by.

Just to clarify on the bridge it is currently not working as well, and hasn't for about a month, but I'm told it may be back in operation within the next two weeks (although as we all know, things change constantly).

The vehicles will indeed be driving through a "Tunnel of Construction Walls" from what I've heard as well (Though if It will be walls, or camo netting, or something I'm unsure, the person I spoke to was unsure as well). I would imagine that as the road gets repaved (because the new savanna won't be quite as twisted as the poacher scene) the vehicles will slowly change their route as the area around the road is re-landscaped.

dreamscometrue

We did KS 3 times in one day about a month ago. The bridge rocked on 2 of our 3 rides. When I asked the CM why it didn't the 3rd time, he said they were "backed up" and had to keep the jeeps moving (or something like that). Anyway, my interpretation was that it was not mechanical, but an issues with capacity or vehicle spacing or something.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
The bridge doesn't always rock. As someone pointed out, it's not mechanical, but operational. When there are a lot of trucks out on the reserve, they need to keep them moving.

As for the poachers storyline, it's already been minimized from what it used to be and doesn't get more than a couple of mentions in the official script. How much of it you get depends on your driver and how they choose to play it. Some drivers still take it very seriously, others make it more comedic.

RSoxNo1

Yes, work has begun. After going through the "busted" gate off of the reserve, there is brand new sod (grass) that has been installed in several areas on both sides of the ride path in several spots, including all around the poachers camp (although most if not all of those show elements were still there). Our driver did the usual spiel about the poachers. Little Red was not moving in the truck.

The zebras are visible - but barely. Just past the bridge that I_heart_Tigger mentioned, if you look through the clearing on the left up on the hill, they are in that area currently. They were there about three weeks ago, and were there again yesterday.

As others have mentioned, this "clearing" where you can occasionally see zebras is actually looking at a much larger savannah that is not technically "on show". If the zebras happen to be in this section of that savannah you'll see them, but otherwise they'll be hidden.

As for the bridge - again, I can confirm that often times it's a capacity issue where it needs a certain amount of time to reset and during busier times not every vehicle gets the full show.

A couple weeks ago, we did not see any zebras at all. Our safari guide did not stop by Big Red, either. She pointed him out and sped by.

Former safari driver here!!!

We were not allowed to stop by Little Red for ANY reason. We had scheduled stops and if we were to stop by him, the truck behind us would more than likely hit us due to a blind corner. VERY dangerous!!!

EDIT: Just remembered a little story. We had a truck break down RIGHT at Little Red and the truck behind him was going at 11 mph or so (the Governor maxes out at 8, but it will go faster depending on a few factors) and nearly hit him! Could have been VEEEEEERY bad.

We did KS 3 times in one day about a month ago. The bridge rocked on 2 of our 3 rides. When I asked the CM why it didn't the 3rd time, he said they were "backed up" and had to keep the jeeps moving (or something like that). Anyway, my interpretation was that it was not mechanical, but an issues with capacity or vehicle spacing or something.

Also, another reason that the bridge doesn't tilt is when a Wild Africa Trek truck goes over. The bridge is "weight dependent" (for lack of a better term) so the WAT trucks are too light to set it off and then the NEXT KSR truck to go over resets the bridge. The next KSR truck to go over will get the show.

EDIT: Also remembered that if a truck approaches too quickly over the bridge, it will not tilt.

We called that the Island of Misfit Animals. :ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

rct247

Heard an update on the new scene. The last rides that will feature Wilson, the poachers, and Little Red will be sometime at the end of April 2012. Once you pass through the broken gate, normally you will make a right turn and sort of zig-zag around geysers, pass a campsite, and eventually Little Red. That will soon become a straight away and the zebras will be placed on at least one side if not both. This means the geysers will be removed eventually too. Currently, fresh grass/sod has been placed down in the area, but the camp and Little Red still exist. They will be removed in May 2012. The new part of the safari will be called Zebra Glen. The transmission between Simba 1 and Wilson will be removed in that part of the attraction. I'm not sure if the Wilson audio will be affected for the rest of the attraction, but it is possible that Wilson will be removed entirely. Working cast will drive through the construction area and will tell guests about the new addition while construction takes place.

HM GhostHostess

Heard an update on the new scene. The last rides that will feature Wilson, the poachers, and Little Red will be sometime at the end of April 2012. Once you pass through the broken gate, normally you will make a right turn and sort of zig-zag around geysers, pass a campsite, and eventually Little Red. That will soon become a straight away and the zebras will be placed on at least one side if not both. This means the geysers will be removed eventually too. Currently, fresh grass/sod has been placed down in the area, but the camp and Little Red still exist. They will be removed in May 2012. The new part of the safari will be called Zebra Glen. The transmission between Simba 1 and Wilson will be removed in that part of the attraction. I'm not sure if the Wilson audio will be affected for the rest of the attraction, but it is possible that Wilson will be removed entirely. Working cast will drive through the construction area and will tell guests about the new addition while construction takes place.

Thanks for the update.

What a shame. I'm going to miss the geysers and the "chase" at the end. Even though the storyline has been watered down, the twists, turns, and higher speeds at the end of the attraction were always exciting.

Poor Little Red. I guess Disney is letting the poachers take him away after all these years. :(

They better not remove Wilson! It's already bad enough that Miss Jobson got the boot.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Good riddance to Warden Wilson Matua.

The best safaris were the ones where the drivers muted him most of the time, anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom