Update you'll like

walt-sent-me

Original Poster
We just got back home from a five day visit to WDW. Talked with several cast members (who do not know each other - some whom we know personally, others at first greeting) and got similar stories. Attendance seemed fairly normal, reservations normal at the resorts, too, and no one is talking about cuts. I'm not suggesting that they are replacing folks when they leave, though cast members seemed to be sticking around right now because of the economy, but Disney is not axing people at the moment. When we checked into our resort I asked the cast member if they had been busy. She told us yes, and that people who were trying to extend their stays were just not being able to because the resort did not have rooms available. I like it. Another cast member friend said that he was told there are more training sessions ahead where he works. Overall, seems that Disney keeps waiting for guests to stop coming because of the sour economy, but the lull keeps resisting. Resorts are at 80% occupancy; not a total delight for Disney who would like better percentages, but still at this rate they are not doing poorly. Dinner reservations were nearly impossible (unless late), esp at EPCOT where there are 3 candelight shows. THREE! Last time we were there for this event there was only one, two at the most. Seats were filled with dinner package folks. Ching-ching. Saw lots of 1st Time pins on folks. Last night we dropped off our three children (adults) at DTD. The parking lots were full. We asked ourselves how this could be - Christmas eve and all of those people out shopping at DTD. Just amazing. Wait times for the popular attractions were beyond standing in line for standby. Fastpasses for the regular popular attractions were gone in just a few hours time. Had a great time....loved being amongst all the people - all who seemed to be having a great time. We have no complaints at all. Except for the one employee yesterday, whom I will call the Grit Girl, who said "WE ARE NOT OPEN" when I approached her to ask when the line would be open at the food court for breakfast. "Yes, it is apparent you are not open," I said...."And that is why I am coming to you to find out when you would be." This was the first encounter of the day for us. Not a magical way to start the day. She's forgiven. But I didn't go back for grits out of protest at the time. Merry Christmas all.

Duckberg

Good BUT 2009???

Thanks for report good to hear
observations, HOPEFULLY that
will continue. BUT how the 2009
numbers start shaking out staring
in January on will be key :cool:

Remember WDW employs 60K+
people & with BAD 2009 retail
#'s expected across the USA :dazzle:
time will TELL!

Duckberg :xmas:

marcriss

We got back from a 10-day stay at the Yacht Club on the 16th. From our perspective there have definitely been cuts.

There were fewer turnstiles open at the park entrances and fewer CMs at guest services, there were no "suits" to be seen anywhere so when backups occurred no new lanes were opened.

The restaurants all seemed to be short on wait staff leading to harried staff and largely absent waiters. There were also longer waits to be seated at the restaurants while tables sat empty. (Seated 45 minutes past seating time at 50s Prime Time Diner, 30 minutes to get food when seated, food was old, cold and bad, and waiter was barely there).

Housekeeping was spotty (late cleanings/room service trays in the hallways for hours, no new towel animals the whole 10 days).

Rides were understaffed (Pooh/ Barnstormer) leading to people having to line themselves properly (let's be honest, there's a segment of the population that can't handle this task). There were also longer lines at rides because they were not distributing Fast Passes.

We also encountered many un-Disney CMS. I could have been a Cast member based on these CM's attitudes.

And don't get me started on the ticket media! This is the first time we did MYW tickets and we had tons of problems (and many others were too). One CM told my husband it was his finger that was the problem! I had 3 different tickets and my husband 2. They didn't work for entry or fastpasses. The 3rd ticket I got finally had a barcode so I wouldn't need another new one, tell me why I couldn't have gotten one of those sooner, or why they all don't have barcodes?

And if Disney isn't going to be more clear about the DDP and what is included they should just do away with it! I'm sick of having to deal with fallout as people try to figure it out on the fly. Make it clear or kill it!

Disney used to be a pretty frustration-free vacation, and you paid for that. The prices haven't come down and the frustrations have increased. I see things getting worse in 2009. As the parks close earlier lines will be longer, the parks will be more crowded. You will get less and less for your money.

Sorry for the rant.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Just returned from a 9 day stay at POR (14th-23rd). I noticed very few cuts, but I really did think crowds were light. Other than TS(sometimes M)M, nothing had a long wait through the 21st (last day in the parks). That being said, there were certainly enough crowds that the place didn't seem empty, and the free dining offer did its job of filling the restaurants.

Cast members, I thought, were in a very happy, jolly, chatty mood in general. All over property, we ran into CM's really adding to the enjoyment. This was a change from previous visits, in which I had thought CM's were going downhill. Much better this trip (maybe they're worried about their jobs?). Fancy towel animals in the room all the time. CM's giving my son stickers at every turn, and pointing out new gluten-free items to boot. Ride ops doing more than just checking the seat belts -- actually talking with guests and adding to the fun. Waitstaff being pleasant and attentive. Security guards chatting and giving out bus-driver worthy inside tips about the future.

I also noticed plenty of extra fun stuff going on -- stuff that could have been done away with without anybody getting upset. Groups singing holiday stuff in all the resorts. Photopass photographers set up in all the luxury resort lobbies (or at least the three we stopped in at) with portrait lighting in front of the holiday trees. Santa full time at DtD, and you could bring your dog! Campfire program at POR. BBB reps running around the Marketplace offering free sparkly stuff for girls' hair. All in all, I was very pleasantly surprised by the level of service.

So, from what I can tell, Disney is doing a good job of keeping the service level up. Now if they'd just free up some money for capital, we could all be happy.

Edisto Pluto

We got back from a 10-day stay at the Yacht Club on the 16th. From our perspective there have definitely been cuts.

There were fewer turnstiles open at the park entrances and fewer CMs at guest services, there were no "suits" to be seen anywhere so when backups occurred no new lanes were opened.

The restaurants all seemed to be short on wait staff leading to harried staff and largely absent waiters. There were also longer waits to be seated at the restaurants while tables sat empty. (Seated 45 minutes past seating time at 50s Prime Time Diner, 30 minutes to get food when seated, food was old, cold and bad, and waiter was barely there).

Housekeeping was spotty (late cleanings/room service trays in the hallways for hours, no new towel animals the whole 10 days).

Rides were understaffed (Pooh/ Barnstormer) leading to people having to line themselves properly (let's be honest, there's a segment of the population that can't handle this task). There were also longer lines at rides because they were not distributing Fast Passes.

We also encountered many un-Disney CMS. I could have been a Cast member based on these CM's attitudes.

And don't get me started on the ticket media! This is the first time we did MYW tickets and we had tons of problems (and many others were too). One CM told my husband it was his finger that was the problem! I had 3 different tickets and my husband 2. They didn't work for entry or fastpasses. The 3rd ticket I got finally had a barcode so I wouldn't need another new one, tell me why I couldn't have gotten one of those sooner, or why they all don't have barcodes?

And if Disney isn't going to be more clear about the DDP and what is included they should just do away with it! I'm sick of having to deal with fallout as people try to figure it out on the fly. Make it clear or kill it!

Disney used to be a pretty frustration-free vacation, and you paid for that. The prices haven't come down and the frustrations have increased. I see things getting worse in 2009. As the parks close earlier lines will be longer, the parks will be more crowded. You will get less and less for your money.

Sorry for the rant.
Interesting, we just returned from the same resort on the 23rd. Everything was great as usual. During our five day stay the crowds seemed normal as well as the staffing. EPCOT was busier on the 22nd than we can remember for that day in previous years. We had supper out twice and afternoon tea at he GF and all were packed. Service was good and CM's polite. The only problem for us was SE broke down while we were at the apex. We walked down six flights of steps.............interesting.

PhilharMagician

Interesting, we just returned from the same resort on the 23rd. Everything was great as usual. During our five day stay the crowds seemed normal as well as the staffing. EPCOT was busier on the 22nd than we can remember for that day in previous years. We had supper out twice and afternoon tea at he GF and all were packed. Service was good and CM's polite. The only problem for us was SE broke down while we were at the apex. We walked down six flights of steps.............interesting.

Now why can't I ever be that lucky?? That is awesome!

ryguy

I am confused why people think they should have towel animals in their rooms. I don't think Disney promotes this idea. I have been staying at Disney for the last 30 years and only recently have started seeing or hearing about towel animals. I certainly don't expect them, if I see them I think cool, but it doesn't make or break my trip. I certainly don't think less of my maid, her job is to keep the room clean, thats it.
In the last three years I have received them in three different hotels: CBR, WL, and the Poly. My last trip at WL was the best we got new one's everyday, and I did tip the maid (which I never do), because my kids liked it. But that being said, I think it's luck of the draw type deal. If you get a maid who is creative and is looking for some extra money than they make the animals, if not your out of luck. :shrug: I look it at this way, if you complain about not getting it, you might end up ruining for those who do get it. If Disney gets enough complaints they will simply tell there maids to stop doing it. Its not worth all the complaining. Its a little perk thats cute, but it shouldn't bug you if your maid doesn't make you a towel animal. There are worse things I can think of in life.

Loretta

We were there Dec 1st-Dec 6th and found it more crowded than expected. We saw no sign of cut backs and as said before, the cm's were all in good spirits. We had a ball. Our town car driver said they expect a slow down next year. As we were waiting for our driver to come pick us up at the Contemporary a man in a suit (didn't get name) came up to is and asked if we had a good time. I told him how surprised we were that it was so crowded and he said too that they expect a slow down next year because of the economy. They think because most people had their trip already planned and in most cases paid for, they decided to go. Only time will tale I guess.

pixiedust1010

I have to say, as someone who lives in Celebration, that it has been very crowded around Disney for the holidays. Of course, the usual quiet of early December sometimes throws people off but that is completely normal. I was at DTD yesterday and it was probably the busiest I have ever seen it. Getting into the restaurants at Epcot has been nearly impossible (and I've been calling for a few places in January and had no luck) and I can't say I have seen any kind of cutback on service. I am typically in the parks or at least somewhere on property at least once a week and overall I have been happily surprised that people are still coming at seemingly normal rates. Of course, we don't know what 2009 will bring but honestly from what I've seen I really think everyone is blowing it out of proportion!

Jasper Dale

My last trip at WL was the best we got new one's everyday, and I did tip the maid (which I never do), because my kids liked it.

you never tip the maid? wow! we always give our housecleaning people lots of tips. they do such a great job. we just returned from WDW on the 17th, and had a wonderful time.

foslizedtresap

I think we will see more problems in attendance at Disney next year. Right now, although the economy is "bad" it's not as bad as it could get. We have only started seeing effects of the econmomy in the past few months. Currently gas is down, companies like Disney are offering promotions and specials, and people still have money to spend. Some people probably see this window as a time to take advantage of things before they can't afford it. It's true, only time will tell and we'll just have to wait and see what next year brings.

jt04

In the last three years I have received them in three different hotels: CBR, WL, and the Poly. My last trip at WL was the best we got new one's everyday, and I did tip the maid (which I never do)

Huh, you don't tip the maid!?

That is like not tipping a waitress.:veryconfu

Space Mountain

Sorry for the rant.

You were also there during the slower part of December requiring less staffing. After the 19th, staffing was too much especially at the attractions. Some attractions had 2 or 3 greeters at one position along with another 2 or 3 at grouper...Haunted Mansion was even staffed in the Foyer and right after the chambers.

If they were not distributing fastpass the lines would be shorter....

As for the turnstiles, pretty much all of them were being utilized at each park in the morning. Of course as the day goes on, more exit turnstiles open and entrance ones close.

Where did you get your MYW Tickets? Magic Kingdom was also having problems with their turnstiles all weekend.

Dining Reservations (TBL Service) were almost completely full across property at every park location.

Sorry for the rant.

Although it may seem the "suits" are not out, they are, except in Disney they are Business Casual. It may not be cutbacks you are seeing, but instead simply cast members calling off because of the Holiday. CMs are scheduled many many hours this time of year often times over 60 or 70 hours. I worked 80 hours in one week at easter one year. it was shifts I picked up. they have standards that they must keep certain amount of CMs on staff. only in busy times do they require more. it's when these busy times hit that it seems they are under staff, but it's simply that they cannot boost their staffing enough. It's a hard task staffing for the entertainment industry. Trends are hard to track, seasonality rarely mirrors previous years, and staffing is difficult when trying to staff attractions running at 18+ hour days. Between call-offs and Going home sick, it's almost impossible to keep the amount of CMs on staff you need to facilitate all breaks, and be able to make all guests happy.

Disney does it's best to staff the parks as well as it can. They beef up staff, they open up seasonal Attractions, place more food stands, work part time and seasonal CMs. Open up back stage walk ways. But it's simply impossible to keep up with the demand of over 70,000 guests in just one park. especially while preserving the magic and keeping it 100% safe. if an attraction is missing cast members, it's not due to cutbacks, it is due to call offs, breaks and other services that the CMs must get that we as guests simply do not want to see, or know about. But these are humans jast as you and I and they need breaks, food, and they even, yes I know this is TMI, but they even need to use the restroom once in a while. Believe me, they deserve every praise you can give them. They get yelled at for things beyond their control. For not accommodating the guests who think they are better then everyone else to wait in line, For not holding people on pedestals. THey try their best. but they can only do so much.

Don't store your passes near Credit Cards or Phones. I love asking the guests if they do, they tell me no then they pull their pass out of their wallet, which is in their purse next to their vibrating cell. It erases the magnetic strip on the passes and will only cause much disturbances later with the Fast Pass machines and other things. The frustrations over DDP have to do with people purchasing it, not reading it or doing their research or reservations. all the problems you are complaining about and "frustrations" are simply solved with some research and better planning. It's the busy season, and this is what happens. People are very smart but together we are no smarter than a heard of cattle. if you chose to move in the pack, then don't complain.

The friendliness of CMs goes back to Hours worked. I want to come to your place of work after you've been there for 9+ hours and see you smile and be curteous when you're getting yelled at for things out of your control.

If CM friendliness is going down compared to 10 years ago, think about this. 10 years ago, people where more conscious of others. TImes have changed. I was 4 years old my first trip to Disney, my brother was 2 1/2, No stroller. now we have 8 and 10 yr olds in them, and the parents when their kids have to walk. My parents when I was younger wouldn't take us near rides we where too short for, and guess what, we didn't know about them so we didn't cry cause we couldn't ride them. today parents yell at CMs about height limits placed for their children's safety. Everyone today thinks they are better than the next person. Fast pass has added more frustration, not on the guests part, but the CMs part where they have guests yelling at them from standby to let them go, yet the Fast Pass people have waited an hour or two for their ticket, and now waited another 20 in line. want it to be less frustrating? Don't complain about lines, if you don't want liines, go to the Bahamas, not an amusement park, if you don't like technology failing then go somewhere in Lancaster Pa. This is a service company that services over 70,000 guests in one day, not counting the other 3 parks. They have machines that run 20+ hours a day straight, and don't fail. CMs that work 15+ hours to make your magical vacation. and all you have to say is that your ticket didn't work, even though it may be your fault, there where lines and you're food wasn't 100% on par. then you should have asked for a manager there. not complain later when 90% of the people that go have little ot no problems.

If you go there and you have a bad attitude, you are only going to have a bad vacation. Smile, think about things before you complain, just imagine the sheer volume they are serving before you complain later. and if you complain it better fall on ears that can make it better. you don't even give them the chance to fix the problem, you take it in and you bad talk them later.

So those aren't cutbacks you see, but Simply a day in a Business where they can't predict demand 100%.

Personally I love the days they predict 60,000 and only about 40,000 show up. those are the best:)

disneyisbest

I was in WDW at POP Century from the 13th thru the 16th and there were busier than the norm for that time period. I don't really know what the reason was. Just one of those things were people decided to book at the same time I guess. I have been hearing that the big deal so far is that their bookings are down for next year so far compared to the previous year. Somewhere between 10 and 15 percent was the last I heard. Not really sure if that has improved any or not. I would imagine it is starting to with the free days deal.

goodtimes5286

I was in WDW at POP Century from the 13th thru the 16th and there were busier than the norm for that time period. I don't really know what the reason was. Just one of those things were people decided to book at the same time I guess. I have been hearing that the big deal so far is that their bookings are down for next year so far compared to the previous year. Somewhere between 10 and 15 percent was the last I heard. Not really sure if that has improved any or not. I would imagine it is starting to with the free days deal.

$54 a night can really get people in, proving my point. Drop the price a lil, everyone thinks they're getting a deal and people flock to Disney giving them MORE money then they had when there prices were through the ROOF

ryguy

Huh, you don't tip the maid!?

That is like not tipping a waitress.:veryconfu

Really?? A waitress gets paid $2.50 an hour and everyone knows that she makes her money by tips. Housekeepers get paid a regular wage, so unless they do something "extra" why would you tip them?? You don't tip the person who gets you seated on a ride, they get paid the same amount. The only difference is job description they are all doing a service. As I stated I tipped the maid who made the animals because I feel she went above and beyond her job description. In my mind that warrants a tip. I would feel a tip would be warranted if I made a huge mess or my kids barfed all over the place, but other than that no tip is required. I would love to know the percentage of hotel guests who actually leave a tip. I know europeans tend to tip a little bit differently but as a whole do Americans actually leave a tip for housekeeping? I would think that the person who tips the maid is the same person who tips the Kid and the Dairy Queen. Now if that kid made you a item that no longer was available (smore galore) than a tip for you my friend, you just went well above your call of duty.:lol:

MissM

My December observations: I was there two Saturdays in a row; the 13th and the 20th. Both felt busy to me. I was surprised that the 13th was as busy as it was. That day, we hit three parks (Epcot, Studios, MK) and there was a LOT of very FIRM directing going on for crowd control for the Osborne Lights and Wishes. (Which, though both were packed, DID help crowd movement and allowed for easier walkways.)

The buses were also packed because when Love's parents left us at the Studios to catch a bus to MK, we stayed and watched the Lights dance three more times (they dance every 7 minutes) before leaving, walking to our car, driving to MK and arriving just after they got off the bus.

The 20th was, I felt, significantly busier than the 13th but that is probably to be expected. It wasn't New Year's Eve levels, but it was close in just the sheer amount of people around. Cosmic Rays had corrals set up when you walked in the door for flow. They also had CMs standing in front of the exit doors (which have had their outside handles removed) to ensure people went in the right way. Took about 25 minutes in line to get a burger (which was really bad and we wound up getting vouchers to get another meal later on in the day) and it was hover-and-wait seating.

Overall, I didn't have problems with rude or unpleasant CMs; everyone was pretty well normal in their attitude and service. And the parks looked lovely in holiday decorations. (Though there was no PhotoPass photographer in the Grand Floridian lobby on the 20th which I felt was odd and a bit of a bummer since they didn't have the set-up for easy group pictures like in years past. Ironically though, they DID have it set up in Wilderness Lodge's lobby on the 13th.)

I'll be interested to see how things shape up in January and February crowd-wise as I think most people out there this month went on trips long since paid for, rather than splurge vacations. Though, the sales in ALL stores were very brisk due to the sweeping 40% and 50% off sales.

hathawaybrowne

Really?? A waitress gets paid $2.50 an hour and everyone knows that she makes her money by tips. Housekeepers get paid a regular wage, so unless they do something "extra" why would you tip them?? You don't tip the person who gets you seated on a ride, they get paid the same amount. The only difference is job description they are all doing a service. As I stated I tipped the maid who made the animals because I feel she went above and beyond her job description. In my mind that warrants a tip. I would feel a tip would be warranted if I made a huge mess or my kids barfed all over the place, but other than that no tip is required. I would love to know the percentage of hotel guests who actually leave a tip. I know europeans tend to tip a little bit differently but as a whole do Americans actually leave a tip for housekeeping? I would think that the person who tips the maid is the same person who tips the Kid and the Dairy Queen. Now if that kid made you a item that no longer was available (smore galore) than a tip for you my friend, you just went well above your call of duty.:lol:

People have a lot of different opinions on that subject, but I can't say I've ever tipped a housekeeper myself. If there was some god-awful mess that I created I would feel compelled to do so - or I would attempt to clean it myself. It's also harder to tip a housekeeper - do you tip every day? At the end of the week? If so, then how do you know your tip is going to the right person?

Technically you are right, with the way the wages are set up the job is not a "tipped position." But no matter what job it is - if you have extraordinary service, I would feel compelled to tip someone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom