Update on 2 tragic deaths at WDW this summer...

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Timmay said:
You're right, a person with any kind of disease or illness shouldn't be let out of their house, much less be at a place like Disney World...:rolleyes:

Did I say that anywhere? DID I?

Don't you dare put words in my mouth. :fork:

TiggerBW

is Myocarditis like Pericarditis?

I had the second one - inflamation of the heart - caused from an infection after heart surgery. (for a heart condition I didn't find out about until 2 years ago.)

CTXRover

TiggerBW said:

I had the second one - inflamation of the heart - caused from an infection after heart surgery. (for a heart condition I didn't find out about until 2 years ago.)

Myocarditis is an infection or inflammation of the heart muscle itself, which is called the myocardium. Pericarditis is an inflammation or infection of the pericardial sac that surrounds the heart. Think of the pericardium as a semi-clear plastic wrap that covers and protects the heart. Its possible to have both at the same time, but they are two different problems.

luvorlando

mkt said:
alrighty... keep throwing the flames at me people...

I meant to type "on the ride" and not "at the park"

to those that replied with smilies, just say it.

I apologize for not looking back at what I typed.

mkt said:
Don't you dare put words in my mouth.

And don't you dare tell me what to do. If I want to reply to someone who I think made a post that I consider :zipit: and :brick: worthy, then I will.

If you don't like it, that's too bad.

:kiss:

TiggerBW

CTXRover said:
Myocarditis is an infection or inflammation of the heart muscle itself, which is called the myocardium. Pericarditis is an inflammation or infection of the pericardial sac that surrounds the heart. Think of the pericardium as a semi-clear plastic wrap that covers and protects the heart. Its possible to have both, but they are two different etiologies or problems.

ok thanks for clearing that up! That does sound familiar now. Pericarditis was VERY painful. I guess Myocarditis isn't?

CTXRover

TiggerBW said:
ok thanks for clearing that up! That does sound familiar now. Pericarditis was VERY painful. I guess Myocarditis isn't?

Pericarditis often causes severe chest pain. The pain can be sharp or dull or aching, but it is usually the presenting symptom that the patient first complains about. A person with pericarditis will often notice the pain increase greatly during inspiration, when lying down or even when swallowing. It is very painful, and I'm sorry to hear you had that complication with your surgery. I assume everything is ok now?

Myocarditis though doesn't tend to cause that type of chest pain. If I remember right, chest pain is only reported in 30-40% of patients with it, a good amount, but not the majority. Most patients with myocarditis will simply present with something called a "viral syndrome". Basically fatigue, aching muscles, or basically symptoms of a really bad cold or the flu. It is often this virus that causes the infection of the heart muscle which can cause racing heart beats, irregular heart beats, difficulty breathing and possibly congestive heart failure (when the heart can no longer pump the blood through the body and it and body fluids essentially accumulates in the lungs). It is entirely possible if a good physical exam wasn't done that a person with myocarditis could be missed, it could be missed even with a good listen to the heart if the infection isn't that far along.

CTXRover

Sounds like both cases here were sad and unfortunate deaths. The girl with myocarditis probably felt like crap, without even knowing she had an infection of her heart muscle.

The poor 4 year old most likely didn't even know anything was wrong. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is the leading cause of deaths of young children (mostly boys), especially teens, who just start an athletic sport and their heart just stops all of the sudden during a play. Its possible you've heard of such a story. Unfortunately, especially at this age, hypertrophy, or thickening, of the heart muscle has no symptoms and often times patients with this present with sudden cardiac death, as this poor boy did. It is possible that a heart murmur and/or irregular heart beats could be heard, but it isn't always the case.

Truly sad and my thoughts go out to the families and all other parents who lose their child in any way.

TiggerBW

CTXRover said:
Pericarditis often causes severe chest pain. The pain can be sharp or dull or aching, but it is usually the presenting symptom that the patient first complains about. A person with pericarditis will often notice the pain increase greatly during inspiration, when lying down or even when swallowing. It is very painful, and I'm sorry to hear you had that complication with your surgery. I assume everything is ok now?

Myocarditis though doesn't tend to cause that type of chest pain. If I remember right, chest pain is only reported in 30-40% of patients with it, a good amount, but not the majority. Most patients with myocarditis will simply present with something called a "viral syndrome". Basically fatigue, aching muscles, or basically symptoms of a really bad cold or the flu. It is often this virus that causes the infection of the heart muscle which can cause racing heart beats, irregular heart beats, difficulty breathing and possibly congestive heart failure (when the heart can no longer pump the blood through the body and it and body fluids essentially accumulates in the lungs). It is entirely possible if a good physical exam wasn't done that a person with myocarditis could be missed, it could be missed even with a good listen to the heart if the infection isn't that far along.

Thanks again. Yes lying down was worse with pericarditis and breathing HURT SO bAD! But that was a while ago. I am fine now thanks.
That's so sad that she wouldn't have the warning signs or pains to clue her that something was wrong! I feel so bad for both families. Heart issues are scary and hard to detect. What a shame.

OliveMcFly

rmforney - Well, from what I gather, the young boy's heart condition wasn’t known about, but the girl… yeah, the parents should have know something.

From what the family said in our local paper, they did know of the boys heart condition but, who knows. Yes it's sad but I too am glad Disney isnt responisble.

Timmay

mkt said:
Did I say that anywhere? DID I?

Don't you dare put words in my mouth. :fork:

um, your quote, exactly as stated
so basically, they were both people that shouldn't have been at the park to start with.

My own opinion is you typed what you felt at the time, it is not very hard to see the difference between "at the park" and "on the ride". Nobody put words in your mouth at all, you clearly felt the two "shouldn't have been at the park".

Then...where should they have been...the mall, the movies, an airplane, how about church, or maybe a pizza parlor?

More importantly, since the young boys condition may not have been known (which is what I believe at this point), how can you even say he had no business being on that particular ride. It sure as heck isn't any of my business, or concern, as to the parents action with their own child...I am wondering how it could be any of yours.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
this is what you typed:

You're right, a person with any kind of disease or illness shouldn't be let out of their house

Which is something I did not say.

gbruenin

This was published in today's edition of the Allentown (PA) Morning Call. The child's family live just a few miles south.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Boy who died on Disney ride had bad heart
Sellersville 4-year-old was at risk of sudden death, autopsy says.
By Pervaiz Shallwani
Of The Morning Call

Daudi Bamuwamye, the 4-year-old Sellersville boy who passed out on a popular spaceship ride at Walt Disney World in the spring, died of heart failure, a Florida medical examiner said Tuesday.

An autopsy found Daudi had a condition that caused an abnormal thickening of his heart and an irregular heartbeat.

''People with this condition are at risk for sudden death throughout their life due to abnormal electrical heart rhythms,'' Orange County Chief Medical Examiner Jan Garavaglia wrote in a one-page statement.

''This risk could be increased under physical or emotional stressful situations,'' she says. ''This condition may also eventually lead to heart failure.''

Daudi died after riding the 4-minute Mission: Space ride at Disney's Epcot theme park June 13 in Orlando. The ride spins passengers at twice the normal force of gravity to simulate the feeling of a rocket launch and spaceflight to Mars.

A sign outside Mission: Space warns passengers with heart conditions to avoid it, but it's unclear whether the Bamuwamyes knew about their son's condition. He apparently had it since birth, according to the autopsy report.

Police said Daudi passed out while on the ride with his sister, Ruth, and mother, Agnes.

Agnes carried Daudi's ''rigid'' body off the thrill ride to a nearby bench, where Disney attendants first thought he had passed out but later determined he was breathless and showed no pulse, according to police. Daudi was pronounced dead 11/2 hours later at Celebration Hospital in Osceola County.

The Bamuwamye family learned of the autopsy results Monday night in a teleconference with Garavaglia, according to their attorney, Robert Samartin of Tampa.

In a written statement, Samartin said that while there is understandably ''overwhelming curiosity'' about what happened to Daudi, he and the family will have ''no comment until we have adequate time to carefully review this report.''

The family is mulling its legal options and remains ''crushed by this devastating loss,'' he wrote. The Bamuwamyes could not be reached, and Samartin did not return calls.

Disney officials reiterated their sympathy for the family. ''In regard to the report,'' company spokeswoman Kim Prunty said, ''we believe it speaks for itself.''

Garavaglia's finding that Daudi died of an abnormal thickening of the heart ended a five-month investigation. She also determined the boy suffered no trauma to his body or organs, and an ''examination of the brain by a neuropathologist found no evidence of brain trauma.''

The medical examiner's office conducted pathology tests on Daudi's brain and heart, examined his body and reviewed microscopic slides and toxicology results, Garavaglia said.

Daudi's death sparked a debate whether the ride's height rules, which bar anyone under 44 inches, are restrictive enough. At 3-foot-10, Daudi stood 2 inches taller.

Through Samartin, Daudi's parents, Agnes and Moses Bamuwamye, sent a letter to Disney in September proposing the theme park raise the bar for Mission: Space from 44 inches to 51 inches.

Disney rejected the restrictions because the boy's death had not been conclusively linked to the ride, according to correspondence the Bamuwamyes' attorney provided to The Orlando Sentinel.

Signs at the $100 million Mission: Space, which opened in 2003, warn visitors about the intensity of the ride, which was shut down after Daudi's death but reopened a day later after engineers concluded it was operating normally.

''For safety you should be in good health, and free from high blood pressure, heart, back or neck problems, motion sickness or other conditions that can be aggravated by this adventure,'' a sign says. Signs also warn pregnant women not to go on the ride.

Disney began placing motion sickness bags in the ride, and over eight months in 2003-04, six people over age 55 were taken to the hospital for chest pain and nausea after riding it, although none of them was found to have any serious injuries.

A question raised after Daudi's death that still remains unanswered concerns park employees' response time. A recording of the 911 call shows Disney workers took more than 2 minutes before starting CPR on the child.

A Mission: Space supervisor thought Daudi had simply passed out and didn't mention that the child was not breathing until a 911 dispatcher asked 1 minute, 20 seconds into the call.

About 2 minutes and 40 seconds into the call, a park employee told the dispatcher that CPR was being done by a CPR-certified employee. When a heart stops, brain death begins within 4 to 6 minutes

Asked whether the park investigated the employee response time or could expand on the reported delay, Prunty said Disney was not providing any information beyond its statement.

bamboo7

TiggerBW said:

you had heart surgery two years ago?

PhotoDave219

I dont see where anything was Disney's fault..... RCES responded in an amazing amount of time and did everything humanly possible.

Seems just like the Body Wars death a few years back.... sometimes people just die. Like the old lady on POTC.

PhotoDave219

Julius & Boobah said:
Is there any update on the girl who was really sick after riding TOT?

Last i heard she was in the UK, in a long term care facility, or something like that. I believe she anyurysm or an embolysm.... whichever one is the rupturing of a blood vessel in the brain.

MickeyTigg

PhotoDave219 said:
Last i heard she was in the UK, in a long term care facility, or something like that. I believe she anyurysm or an embolysm.... whichever one is the rupturing of a blood vessel in the brain.

Aneurysm

The Mom

Premium Member
gbruenin said:
This was published in today's edition of the Allentown (PA) Morning Call. The child's family live just a few miles south.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agnes carried Daudi's ''rigid'' body off the thrill ride to a nearby bench, where Disney attendants first thought he had passed out but later determined he was breathless and showed no pulse, according to police. Daudi was pronounced dead 11/2 hours later at Celebration Hospital in Osceola County.

------------------------------------------------------------------

A question raised after Daudi's death that still remains unanswered concerns park employees' response time. A recording of the 911 call shows Disney workers took more than 2 minutes before starting CPR on the child.

A Mission: Space supervisor thought Daudi had simply passed out and didn't mention that the child was not breathing until a 911 dispatcher asked 1 minute, 20 seconds into the call.

About 2 minutes and 40 seconds into the call, a park employee told the dispatcher that CPR was being done by a CPR-certified employee. When a heart stops, brain death begins within 4 to 6 minutes

Asked whether the park investigated the employee response time or could expand on the reported delay, Prunty said Disney was not providing any information beyond its statement.

Is every CM working at M:S CPR certified? If not, the delay in a CM starting CPR was not unreasonable, especially since a cardiac arrest is not the first thing you think of if you see an unconscious child. Middle aged+ person, yes. ;) The response time by the paramedics was incredibly efficient.

As mentioned by multiple posters with medical experience, CPR is not as effective as TV would lead you to believe, especially without a defibrillator (and someone who knows how to use it) handy. It takes more than a few seconds for someone who has performed CPR many times to respond appropriately, nevermind a poor CM who has maybe practiced once in class with Resuci-Annie. Sometimes an untrained person performing CPR can hurt more than help.

Timmay

especially without a defibrillator (and someone who knows how to use it) handy

Well, defibrillators are only good for a certain type of cardiac arrest...ventricular fibrilation, or V Fib for short.(it is not used for every cardiac arrest, like you see on TV). They can also be used to cardiovert a person in SVT...although that is rare.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom