Update: Escape From Tomorrow

lebeau

Maybe that they are concerned. About their name being associated, about lack of their consent, contrary to everything the parks represent, etc.

"It would never happen here" - of course they wouldn't say that.

The minute they say anything about the movie in the media, people become aware of it and it gets released in thousands more theaters than it otherwise would have.

Disney has nothing to gain by giving this movie free publicity.

GrumpyFan

What bothers me is the subject matter brazenly inserted in the Disney Parks context, without authorization. And the subsequent silence.

I haven't seen the film, so I can't really speak to the its subject matter, only what's been written about it. But, from what I understand, it is somewhat of a questionable and concerning content as far as thoughts go by the main character. However, I don't think they cross the line from thinking to doing and actually commit anything heinous or punishable by law, which puts it in kind of an artistic grey area making it difficult to do anything about.

I still think Disney's public silence on this is the best strategy to make it go away. That's not to say they should condone it, but, as big a company as they are, if they launch any kind of counter attack against this film, it will just alert the major media outlets, which just gives it free publicity. Besides, even if they did sue and get it shut down, it could still be pirated and distributed thru the Internet, which has probably already happened anyway. I mean, look around, even though Song of the South hasn't been sold since 2001, you can still find good quality bootleg copies on the Internet and many other places, and this is a film that Disney has control of.

GrumpyFan

Maybe that they are concerned. About their name being associated, about lack of their consent, contrary to everything the parks represent, etc.

"It would never happen here" - of course they wouldn't say that.

I get that you're bothered by this and think Disney should do something, but really, that's just a bad idea.

I'm going to use an analogy here that's a little gross, but I think fitting. If you've ever been on a farm, you'll know how this works.
It's kind of like cow poop. Right after the cow releases it, there's a smell, but after it sets and dries for a while, the smell goes away. However, if someone comes along and steps in it or stirs it, the smell is released again, maybe even worse than before. This is the same thing that's happening here. It's just poop, it stinks at the moment, but it will dry and the smell will go away, IF left alone.

lebeau

What if the movie were to go Blair Witch and make millions (speaking hypothetically)? Would you all still support Disney staying silent?

You're making this out like it's a moral issue rather than a business decision. It's a movie.

If the movie makes millions (which it won't) Disney may have a financial incentive to file suit. For now, the wiser course of action is not to call attention to it.

You're letting an emotional response to a movie (which odds are you have not seen) cloud your judgement. It's not a big deal until Disney makes it a big deal.

GrumpyFan

What if the movie were to go Blair Witch and make millions (speaking hypothetically)? Would you all still support Disney staying silent?

It won't! It's being released in a very limited capacity to theaters and video on demand by a small distributor whose biggest hit/release was a film called The Way, that had Emilio Estevez and his dad, Martin Sheen, in it. It was released to 283 theaters and made just over $4 million. This thing has no actors in it that have any real recognition and it's not even listed on First Showing.net for coming movies, meaning it will probably show on less than 100 screens.

Jimmy Thick

Woah, were are all the people who were calling the film maker a genius?

In all honesty, from what has been written and word of mouth about it is, this film is terrible. Very low grade and lower than a B movie, why on earth should Disney give a royal fart about it when its going to die the second it goes right to Youtube. The only hype this movie got was on Disney fan forums and a couple write ups in the papers and if it was going to catch on, it would have by now. If the public was interested in it, the movie would have blown up the day it premiered at Sundance, it didn't.

There will be no fanfare or cause of celebration, this thing will die and be forgotten soon enough.

Jimmy Thick- Orson Welles and Steven Spielburgh need not worry, but Ed Wood might have to...

Since1976

Disney is treating this with kid gloves, knowing that making a big deal about the movie will just make more people curious to watch it. I'm sure if the film passes a certain threshold of public awareness, Mickey's lawyers will pounce to show vigilance in protecting their IP, lest more people with camcorders decide to do their own guerilla-style films on park property "because Disney let those other guys do it."

lebeau

Woah, were are all the people who were calling the film maker a genius?

In all honesty, from what has been written and word of mouth about it is, this film is terrible. Very low grade and lower than a B movie, why on earth should Disney give a royal fart about it when its going to die the second it goes right to Youtube. The only hype this movie got was on Disney fan forums and a couple write ups in the papers and if it was going to catch on, it would have by now. If the public was interested in it, the movie would have blown up the day it premiered at Sundance, it didn't.

There will be no fanfare or cause of celebration, this thing will die and be forgotten soon enough.

Jimmy Thick- Orson Welles and Steven Spielburgh need not worry, but Ed Wood might have to...

83% approval on RT.

It's not going to make an impact on the mainstream. But the critical consensus is not that the film is "terrible".

"A remarkable piece of filmmaking"

"One wishes a few different decisions had been made, especially during post-production, but no one can deny the originality of a piece that's unlike anything else to play in Park City (or anywhere for that matter) in 2013."

"Escape from Tomorrow isn't awful, but it's the kind of film that makes you wish it were better than it is."

"The acting isn't perfect (which is perhaps understandable under the circumstances), and the film's dream states sometimes try too hard, but Escape From Tomorrow has an otherworldly atmosphere that both hooks and engages."

"One of the most daring motion pictures I've encountered in a very, very long time. ... An emotionally walloping experience that, for all its flaws, I wouldn't have missed for the world."

"The Polanski-like madness clearly stems from some of the very real frustrations that families are met with in the face of overwhelming corporate homogeneity."

tissandtully

It won't! It's being released in a very limited capacity to theaters and video on demand by a small distributor whose biggest hit/release was a film called The Way, that had Emilio Estevez and his dad, Martin Sheen, in it. It was released to 283 theaters and made just over $4 million. This thing has no actors in it that have any real recognition and it's not even listed on First Showing.net for coming movies, meaning it will probably show on less than 100 screens.

Yeah, mostly indie theaters, Landmark cinemas chain. But the big deal for indies nowadays is VOD. I can assure you I'll spend the $7 to watch it on VOD.

GrumpyFan

I think this (pool scene video above) may have been shot off-property, based on the "crane" or above shots, and according to the following piece I grabbed from the Wiki page.

After the location filming, production went back to soundstages for interiors. Some scenes were shot against a green screen background for second unit footage of other locations to be substituted, allowing the use of crane shots.

Jimdalva

Well all this talk made me curious to see it. Then I watched the clip and lost all interest. I was only curious to see WDW. That clip could have been anywhere. Furthermore I hold no ill will towards Disney just because video cameras were rolling in the park.

fosse76

Disney is treating this with kid gloves, knowing that making a big deal about the movie will just make more people curious to watch it. I'm sure if the film passes a certain threshold of public awareness, Mickey's lawyers will pounce to show vigilance in protecting their IP, lest more people with camcorders decide to do their own guerilla-style films on park property "because Disney let those other guys do it."

Disney is unlikely able to do anything. Having not seen the movie, my understanding is that no Disney music or film footage is seen in the movie, so there really can't be a copyright claim. There may be a trademark claim due to useage of Disney imagery, however, as the film itself is satirical commentary, it would most likely fall under the Fair Use doctrine.

MickeyPeace

Here's a clip from the film, anyone know what pool that is?

This scene and many others were shot off property. It's hype that it was all shot in the parks.

Disney responding would be just what the mousey (pun intended) director wants. Free publicity!

Disney should let it quickly fade into obscurity then beef up security in the parks to keep watch for future film makers. Or hire Lou Mongello to direct the sequel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom