Upcoming vacation

Vacationer1201

Original Poster
I am considering a vacation to Disney World this spring/summer. I haven't been there since 1986 when I was a child. Is it completely different or is there anything that is the same since then? I was hoping it might be somewhat nostalgic. Also, would this be a good place for a couple with no kids to go? or is it more for families? What would be a good place to stay for a couple nights? Thanks,

Figgy1

Premium Member
Welcome aboard and everything has changed! Restaurants can and some almost must be booked 180 days out. You can make fast pass/ride line reservations 60 days out if you're staying on site 30 days off site so RUN do not walk and get a copy of The Unofficial Guide to Disney. That's not to say a last minute trip isn't great for people with or without kids.

Shouldigo12

I am considering a vacation to Disney World this spring/summer. I haven't been there since 1986 when I was a child. Is it completely different or is there anything that is the same since then? I was hoping it might be somewhat nostalgic. Also, would this be a good place for a couple with no kids to go? or is it more for families? What would be a good place to stay for a couple nights? Thanks,
Are you looking to stay on-site, which offers transportation to the parks, to and from the airport, fastpass 60 days out instead of 30, but is expensive, or off site which (typically) does not come with those perks but is much cheaper?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I am considering a vacation to Disney World this spring/summer.
Seems like late spring (after spring break) and early summer are good times to go crowd wise.
I haven't been there since 1986 when I was a child. Is it completely different or is there anything that is the same since then? I was hoping it might be somewhat nostalgic.
While you might recognize the Magic Kingdom and Epcot layouts and attractions, everything else is completely different. There are two more parks now (Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom), many more on-property hotels, Downtown Disney has morphed to Disney Springs, traffic is ten times worse than it used to be, and there's a system allowing you to reserve ride times on up to three attractions up to 60 days out if you're staying on property in standard accommodations, or 30 days out if you're staying off property.
Also, would this be a good place for a couple with no kids to go? or is it more for families?
Couples can still have a very good time together, assuming both like (or at least are open to) a Disney vacation.
What would be a good place to stay for a couple nights?
How much do you want to spend? Under $200 a night, stay in the Values. $350 - $500 a night, stay in the Moderates. $450 to $$$$ a night, stay in the Deluxes.
You can stay in comparable or better accommodations off property, but you give up Disney themeing, proximity to the parks and other attractions, and certain perks like early/late park hours reserved just for resort guests.

Hope that helped! For a very high-level summary of changes, go look here.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

so many options.

Disney is a great place to go without kids. My hubby and I did it all the time. We stay at deluxe resorts and our favorite was/is the Yacht and beach club, mainly because World showcase is one of our favorite areas and we always seem to end the night there.

forget the nostalgia, it is nothing like it was in 1986.

I'd start with a guide book to get a general gist of the parks. was animal kingdom even open in 86??

You might be a little late on getting fast pass so I'd definitely start investigating.

aliceismad

I’d start with the official Walt Disney World site and see what appeals to you. There are four parks, two water parks, mini golf, many onsite hotels, and dozens of restaurants. Once you have some ideas of what you might like, the people here are great about helping with trip planning.

Neither Hollywood Studios nor Animal Kingdom we’re there in 1986, so you have quite a lot of new stuff to see, but there are definitely some things that remain the same (or at least similar).

You might also consider a guidebook.

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Disney is definitely not just for families. I got with just my husband multiple times a year and have a blast! They still have so many original rides (with some modifications) to give that nostalgic feeling while also introducing some amazing new ones!

If you go, I’d stay on property if I was you so that you can experience the extra magic hours and free transportation. You can find hotels at almost any price point!

JIMINYCR

There are some things youll find that have stayed the same to give you a nostalgic feel but many things have changed with the addition and closures of attractions and expansion of lands. Not only are there changes to the parks but also the technology used by guests and need to pre arranging dining and FP+ during crowded times. To get up to speed you should get a guide book, The red & white Unofficial Guide to Disney is the most detailed and comprehensive that will give you all you need and more. Stay on this site to learn how others have managed their trips and get help from experienced guests. DW & I enjoy WDW even more now that DS is grown up and we can do more without having to manage child things. You will see many many adult only couples enjoying the parks & entertainment. The resorts are many and what they have to fooer differs greatly as well as the cost. The guide book can help you see what they are like and onsite you can get differing resort reviews that can help yopu with that decision. DW & I enjoy POFQ because we find its a quieter, more adult type resort than others.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom