Upcoming/Rumored Projects

doctornick

You know, as much a we like to -- correctly -- complain about how stagnant WDW has been, it does look like better times are on the horizon. No, probably not to the extent that we all want to see but at least the recent history of basically almost nothing opening up for years at a time should not be the case. The last decade has been a terrible drought at WDW. It seems like we have the following to expect....

2016: Rivers of Light, nighttime safaris, Frozen ride
2017: Pandora (flying ride, boat ride), new Soarin' film (2016?), Toy Story Playland rides (2016?)
2018: other Pixar rides/additions for DHS (strong rumor for at least Cars stuff)
2020: Star Wars land

Plus, there's been talk of a replacement for Wishes and perhaps a redo for Imagination (ride and movie?). Something is apparently going into Innoventions West in the near future (not getting my hopes up for anything big, but maybe it will be nice).

I'm not saying I'm satisfied with these additions -- I think Disney needs to be more ambitious -- but at least it's better than the pace they've been doing recently.

Skippy

it does look like better times are on the horizon.

It seems like we have the following to expect....

2017: new Soarin' film (2016?), Toy Story Playland rides (2016?)
2018: other Pixar rides/additions for DHS (strong rumor for at least Cars stuff)
2020: Star Wars land

Plus, there's been talk of a replacement for Wishes and perhaps a redo for Imagination (ride and movie?). Something is apparently going into Innoventions West in the near future (not getting my hopes up for anything big, but maybe it will be nice).
Unfortunately none of what I kept in that quote above has actually been officially confirmed. You won't find optimism for the future until projects like that at the very least get officially announced.

Take those out and you have Rivers of Light, Frozen, Pandora (Whatever that eventually is, we don't know yet) and nighttime safaris if you want to count those. And especially with Pandora, it's been a long road.

Dice50

All that would be great!

Stuff we'll learn details about this year

- Details of Frozen ride
- Details of Shanghai Disneyland
- Details of AvatarLand

Stuff there is a decent shot we could hear about this year

- Remake of DHS
- New name
- Star Wars Land
- Pixar Land - new rides
- Star Wars land going in at Disneyland

Things we could hear about in next few years

- Re-do of Epcot
- Re-do of Tomorrowland at MK in both parks
- Random new E-ticket rides at all parks

Chef idea Mickey`=

I would summoned if WDW is to continue to represent itself as Disney World to all other Disney resort's
then instead of copying elements from the other parks, create and combine them in a bigger newer different way.
For example instead of Toy Story Playland, call it "Toy Story Lane " everything there including Toy Story Mania.
Also rather than Car's Land, if it won't be replicated DHS can still incorporate the success by Bringing Radiator Springs Racer's and a smaller scale
Area Sector of Radiator Spring's built closer around the attraction
Differently than in DCA and instead name it "Route US66".:):) Finally do the same for other 2 pixar offerings.:cool:
If Ratatouille were to be in interest instead of it at Epcot.. "Le Rue de Ratoi", Monster University Blvd
These are all street names in DHS.. let it be PIXAR AVENUE..;) @ Hollywood Adventure`s
That way it would be Different from all the other resort style making of lands!
Californian's would still come to experience because they don't have the Pixar Combination as this.x

Respectfully I have to disagree. I'm sure that for a certain generation that behavior is but it's not the future. It much easier to deploy that information to the screens that 75%+ of the population in Disney already has and likes to use than it is to buy and set up and maintain a bunch of TVs they need to walk over to. If its just an app displaying the same information why not do it in your hand, wherever you are? I check Google before I leave for the subway everyday. People are on their phones constantly. There's no overhead other than building an app is they already have a bus tracking system in place.

I respectfully, but deeply, disagree.

I imagine all the lines and maps with constantly updating service and time information available in my hand. "Oh, Splash mountains down/the wait is 75 minutes. We better not leave Tomorrowland." "THE NEXT BUS IS HERE IN TEN WE GOTTA LEAVE THE ROOM!" That sounds a lot more like my life than moseying over to some TV set outdoors and waiting.

If I'm already waiting... What's the point?

I know this is old so apologies! Although most people have SmartPhones you're forgetting about WiFi. Guests from abroad do not exactly use roaming as there is a high fee. It has been two years since my last visit (I'll be there again in October/November) and the level of WiFi was simply shocking. Essentially there was none outside of the hotel room. In Ireland we have these bus timetables, if we can get them here I would expect Disney World to be able to incorporate them.

PhotoDave219

All that would be great!

Stuff we'll learn details about this year

- Details of Frozen ride
- Details of Shanghai Disneyland
- Details of AvatarLand

Stuff there is a decent shot we could hear about this year

- Remake of DHS
- New name
- Star Wars Land
- Pixar Land - new rides
- Star Wars land going in at Disneyland

Things we could hear about in next few years

- Re-do of Epcot
- Re-do of Tomorrowland at MK in both parks
- Random new E-ticket rides at all parks

Yeah, any Star Wars announcement for here on the east coast is extremely unlikely until after the movie is released.

Dice50

Yeah, any Star Wars announcement for here on the east coast is extremely unlikely until after the movie is released.

Hope you're right. I've gotten to the point where I assume this isn't happening anymore or if it is I moved it to the "stuff we could find out in the next couple years" column.

MGMBoy

Hope you're right. I've gotten to the point where I assume this isn't happening anymore or if it is I moved it to the "stuff we could find out in the next couple years" column.

Gonna go out on a limb here and assume that is a VERY long column by now. :)

PorterRedkey

Your exactly right. Iger said the land would be based off the new movies and that comes out December 15. There is no way we will know anything before that.

Iger said it would be based on both the new and old movies. When the old plans were scraped, it was so the new movie plot lines and characters could be included. Since the movie has been filmed and is now in the post-production phase, characters and plot are locked. At this point, I think they have had time to develop their ideas for the new "land" and attractions. I don't think that an announcement is guaranteed before 12/15/15, but it is in no way out of the question.

odmichael

Iger said it would be based on both the new and old movies. When the old plans were scraped, it was so the new movie plot lines and characters could be included. Since the movie has been filmed and is now in the post-production phase, characters and plot are locked. At this point, I think they have had time to develop their ideas for the new "land" and attractions. I don't think that an announcement is guaranteed before 12/15/15, but it is in no way out of the question.
I don't see why they can't announce what they are doing without giving away the plot of the film or revealing certain things. Just show us concept art and if anything is revealing, blank/blurr it out.

Dice50

I don't see why they can't announce what they are doing without giving away the plot of the film or revealing certain things. Just show us concept art and if anything is revealing, blank/blurr it out.

You're right they could and probably would if it was happening but since nothing is leaked, nothing has been shown, and pretty much all leaks from Disney about it have stopped, I've come to the conclusion that it isn't going to happen.

DisneyDad61

Not that I am a rose-colored Disney glasses kind-of guy but in this case regarding a future Star Wars Land at WDW, I disagree that nothing is going to happen.
Look, I get it, alot of us (me included) get pretty upset at times when we see places like California Adventure, Harry Potter, East and West Coast and even Disneyland Paris adding in some pretty spectactular rides and lands of late.
I think it is very easy for us to overlook alot of the work that is being done at WDW, some can be seen (Disney Springs) and some we cant so much (Avatarland). Now, when I am looking at HS and kind of how the corporate culture has been working over the past several years under Iger, he really seems to be a working an elaborate project planner that crosses over all area's of the Disney companies.
That said, I really think that he is pushing the imagineers (along with John Lasseter) to come up with a pretty decent "wow" factor for the new Star Wars land. If you look at the closures now with the backlot tour and some rehabbing or removing of say the "hat", the expansion of Toy Story Mania, I really feel that they are preparing the park (to a lesser degree at the moment) like they are doing with Animal Kingdom with Avatarland coming. I think they are preparing the infrastructure in such a way to prepare for the next expansion which I believe will be at HS.

I know that the "suits" understand numbers and Star Wars is just too big of a culture phenomenon not to capitalize on it going forward. For me, I think that the D23 Expo is going to be where alot of this starts. It's just too perfect of an opportunity with all the incredible Disney fans and press there not to disclose the future plans of Star Wars Land........In this case, I am the optomist in that August 2015 will be the official unveiling of Star Wars Land. Possibly for both Disneyland (taking over ToonTown altogether, possibly Big Thunder Ranch. I just think if you look at things more at a 30,000 ft level, I think it becomes a little more clear that something is going to happen at HS.
My 2 cents..............

Dice50

Short of just wanting it to happen, what evidence do you cite that there are actually plans to make a Star Wars Land? Not trying to be argumentative but I too once thought it was happening until I looked into it and realized Disney has never actually said anything about it except that at one time they were thinking about it until they decided to not move forward with the plans at the time. There is a lot of speculation that they would wait till the movies came out but 0 actual proof of anything happening.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Short of just wanting it to happen, what evidence do you cite that there are actually plans to make a Star Wars Land? Not trying to be argumentative but I too once thought it was happening until I looked into it and realized Disney has never actually said anything about it except that at one time they were thinking about it until they decided to not move forward with the plans at the time. There is a lot of speculation that they would wait till the movies came out but 0 actual proof of anything happening.

The only thing Iger has said about Star Wars in the parks is....

“a fair amount of design and development (taking place by the company’s Imagineers) to greatly increase ‘Star Wars” presence in multiple locations around the world….The plans are ambitious so it’s going to take some time for them to be built and opened.”

What this means for each individual park is unknown. I think DHS getting some sort of new Star Wars content is a pretty sure bet, but the devil is in the details, exactly what and when.

Cesar R M

The only thing Iger has said about Star Wars in the parks is....

“a fair amount of design and development (taking place by the company’s Imagineers) to greatly increase ‘Star Wars” presence in multiple locations around the world….The plans are ambitious so it’s going to take some time for them to be built and opened.”

What this means for each individual park is unknown. I think DHS getting some sort of new Star Wars content is a pretty sure bet, but the devil is in the details, exactly what and when.
to resume.. they gave us nothing in real information.
the announcement was way too vague.
They could just add a simple themed bathroom and call it a day by "adding more star wars presence"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom