Upcoming Paradise Pier Additions/Improvements

sponono88

Original Poster
Here's a list of upcoming projects that will take place in the Paradise Pier area. Some are already underway, others will start later this year

- First up, California Screamin' will undergo a full pressure wash and repainting. It's a big project that will take a considerable time to finish. This project is now underway.

- Maliboomer is slated for removal, process could begin as early as September 7th.
(source: insider67)

- TSMM will go down for refurbishment from Aug 30 - Oct 10 to install gates on the exit side of the station.

- California Screamin CMs recently received new costumes that more accurately convey the new theme of the pier

photo.jpg

- Paradise Garden will be a new area on the west side of Paradise Pier. It will feature two re-themed restaurants and a new outdoor dining area. Paradise Garden Grille, one of the new restaurants, is already under construction -- track the progress of it in this thread: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=596535

- Bayside Brews, a new outdoor beer and pretzel bar, will soon be added to the area next to Silly Symphony Swings. The space is currently blocked off with planters:

952875584_PpheL-S.jpg

- Finally, a new background music loop was added to Paradise Pier last month. You can hear an audio sample of the new music here: http://datelinedisneyland.bandcamp.com/track/paradise-pier-background-audio-summer-2010

Here's a diagram that shows where the two different music loops are playing (one is for Paradise Park, the other for Paradise Pier)

paradiseaudio1.jpg

sponono88

Original Poster
:cool:

Aaand now it's official: Maliboomer closes Sept. 7th. No replacement has been announced yet, but the spot is rumored to become a garden/park area. It is also rumored that it will eventually hold an entrance to a new attraction behind Screamin' (iin Phase 2).

For those who want to get a final scream on Maliboomer, you better hurry. Guests will blast off for the final time September 6, as the attraction will be closed on September 7.

-Disney Parks Blog
It even made the local news, including the reason for its removal: http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=news/entertainment&id=7597308

ANAHEIM, Calif. (KFSN) -- Disney's California Adventure Park is getting rid of one of its thrill rides.

The Maliboomer tower, which shoots riders 180 feet up in the air in four seconds and then drops them, is being removed next month.

A park spokesperson says the ride doesn't fit in with the new vision for the Paradise Pier area that is currently under renovation. The new architectural theme is "a return to the romance and charm of California's oceanfront playgrounds of the early 1900s."

If you want to ride the Maliboomer again before it's taken down, you'd better act fast. The last day of operation will be September 6.

Disney is the parent company of ABC30.
Pretty cool that they're removing an entire attraction because it doesn't fit in with the theme they're going for.. With Mullholand Madness and Bountiful Valley Farm also closing this fall, the next wave of construction is about to begin at DCA.

sponono88

Original Poster
For the first time since the park opened, the California Screamin' scream tubes are being repainted with a new color; blue that will repace the old teal color. This is part of the major repainting project Screamin's is currently going through. The new blue color is similar to the color found in several Paradise Pier CM costumes, like TSMM for example. Looks good so far!

MintCrocodile has an update as well, with a look at the backside of the scream tubes from outside the park

974550021_74FNj-M.jpg

California Screamin' at Disney California Adventure is receiving a new paint job on it's scream tubes. As you can see, the previous color was a teal-ish color. The new paint job seems to be more of a sky-blue. This will be the 2nd repainting of the tubes, but first time with a newer color.

sponono88

Original Poster
Another look at Screamin', pictures from MintCrocodile's update

They've only completed one section so far but even from far away, the new paint already makes a big difference

975506883_azrDy-M.jpg

Closer look

975512671_38Um6-M.jpg

Above the midway games

975517229_QYGgN-M.jpg

The new color matches the colors in the TSMM building, including the main signage, posts, and ironwork

975517795_CXABo-M.jpg

JerrodDRagon

I really love all the little things they ar doing to the park, all the little things along with the Big things are making the park almost as good as DL....almost;-)

sponono88

Original Poster
RIP. 2001 - 2010

4369304475_1f2f6a6c26.jpg

Tonight, the Maliboomer will take its final launch in Paradise Pier. According to some sources, the removal process will take approximately 2 weeks. At nearly 200ft tall, the Pier skyline will be changed once the Maliboomer is gone. Here's a preview comparison shot of the pier Before and After.

4444357845_94588c8964.jpg
59618377.jpg

Today will also markthe last day of operation for Pizza Oom Mow Mow, Reboundo Beach basketball game, and the remaining half of the S.S. Rustworthy.

2748210677_ceae5eb3fd_o.jpg
4352074581_b27418064f.jpg

sponono88

Original Poster
New construction walls around Maliboomer as it prepares for demolition. Classic Mickey and pals make another appearance here - along with official confirmation of what will replace the ride:

"We're planning a lush new park just for you. Stroll on by in Summer 2011."

1001149684_YS4FP-M.jpg

1001150455_zrr3Z-M.jpg

1001150021_6pc7D-M.jpg

1001155229_J3hsQ-M.jpg

^ Love this picture!

1001150861_xozUu-M.jpg

In other news, the repainting of CA Screamin' tubes is now complete:

1001142240_i4s6P-M.jpg

sponono88

Original Poster
The Maliboomer has already been removed from park maps. They modified several parts of the Paradise Pier section, including a new drawing for SSS with a bigger Mickey.

1001205792_bJrco-M.jpg

Epcotbob

It's great to see what they are doing with DCA!

I finally got to visit DCA in December 2008 for the first time, and despite all of the bad reviews I actually enjoyed the park. I thought it really had alot of potential, so it's great to see all of the updates going on.

They were working on World of Color when I was there, now after just seeing the youtube video of the show.......:eek: It might be worth another trip to California just to see it in person!

Yeah! At last i remember the 1st time i saw this and thought what is that doing in a Disney park, then i saw the rest of the pier off the shelf rides and thought hmm:lookaroun It always seemed odd to theme an area of a disney park after the kind of place Walt hated and one of the reasons he built Disneyland. I'm just so glad they are finally putting it right i think even the retheming of old rides has made a huge difference the swings look fantastic and now i want to try them out just for that reason.

sponono88

Original Poster
A couple quick updates:

- Catch-A-Flave is now the Paradise Pier Ice Cream Co. It will reopen later this week.

- The Maliboomer towers are now completely covered in scaffolding. According to insider67, the first pieces of the ride will start coming down this week.

- The P.T Fleas building will be moved to its new location in Paradise Garden tomorrow night. (source FutureImagineer183)

sponono88

Original Poster
Formerly known as Catch-A-Flave, the Paradise Pier Ice Cream Co. reopened last week w/ a new name, new color scheme, and new logo

IMG_7029.jpg

IMG_7015.jpg

IMG_7021.jpg

TP2000

Here's the original look of Catch-A-Flave ice cream for comparison.

3302434687_0d2470eea8.jpg

While only a cosmetic update to what is still just a stucco box, this is an improvement that helps with the new 1920's Pier theme. Interesting that they are moving forward with these small rehabs on the periphery of the larger Pier remodels and reconstruction areas.

sponono88

Original Poster
With the main topper gone, now it's just a matter of tearing down the support columns. I've heard that the process should only take about 2 weeks total.

1028791264_GPsFo-M.jpg

Screamin' repainting continues. The teal-colored track is getting the same blue color they painted the tubes with:

1028798694_aie6g-M.jpg

1028820027_V4GCo-M.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom