Upcoming Changes to Test Track?

Theme Park Nerdo

Original Poster

On the new Epcot entrance concept art, the blue roof at the entrance of Test Track seems to be replaced with a newer more permanent entrance structure, does this mean that Test Track is about to receive some major changes in the near future? Does any insiders know what's going on here?

No Name

If I were a betting man I'd put money on the ride itself not receiving any significant changes in the next few years. They may change the canopy as part of the Future World hub redesign but I doubt it. In 2027 when GM either renews or does not renew, the ride itself may see major changes just as it did in 2012 and 1997. Hopefully for the better.

The original test track was pretty fantastic, the new one is technologically savvy but emotionally dull and story-wise weak.

Acidsplat

If I were a betting man I'd put money on the ride itself not receiving any significant changes in the next few years. They may change the canopy as part of the Future World hub redesign but I doubt it. In 2027 when GM either renews or does not renew, the ride itself may see major changes just as it did in 2012 and 1997. Hopefully for the better.

The original test track was pretty fantastic, the new one is technologically savvy but emotionally dull and story-wise weak.
Ugh, the canopy is so ugly. Just remove that and the building would look better instantly in my opinion. Show off that old "Future World wacky shape" building!

MaximumEd

I don't want this to happen, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a Cars (movie) ride replace Test Track at some point.

Hope that never happens. It wouldn’t fit Epcot at all, not that that is stopping them elsewhere. I just think that the gap from TT to RSR shows how much further the boundary can be pushed with the “slot car” tech. I’d love to see the Epcot version get some love. The design your own car part seems like the worst kind of interactive queue and the indoor part of the ride is a sparsely themed black nothing with some Tron lighting. The music where you enter the outdoor portion and the speed run itself are great. Put that giant show building to better use for the beginning and middle portion. I’d rather walk through an exhibit like space showing the beginning of the auto to the future than the design your own car bit, also.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Hopefully the ride itself will change to be less dull and boring.

Current TT is one of my family's favorite rides. My son loves the make your own car aspect. TT 2.0 is a really good attraction that just needs a little something more to be great. And it's much better than 1.0 was.

The Pho

Personally think it is pretty well executed and a fun part of the experience. Better than just continuing the queue, and much better than some other preshows. e.g. Dr. Stevens telling us to “move around a little”
That part is nice, and the actual designing is pretty great instead of just standing in line. The real problem is that it is 100% irrelevant to the ride you’re getting on. Best case scenario is that a picture of your car shows up a couple times in the ride, but usually those screens aren’t working or synced with the ride so you just see random cars if any.

And the Flight of Passage preshow is definitely worse than just waiting in line longer.

Epcot_Imagineer

And the Flight of Passage preshow is definitely worse than just waiting in line longer.
Interesting... I believe the FoP preshow is the perfect amount of interactive/time-killing/distraction. Yes it's only there to hold you before the next pre-show, but I feel that it works with the story; killing bacteria before a scientific 'procedure'. In all the times I rode it, every guest had fun with it. If it entertains a vast majority of riders, kills time in line, and preps them for attraction, what's the harm?
This contrasts heavily with things like the Soarin' queue and the games of Space Mountain which were there for... what reason?

The Pho

Interesting... I believe the FoP preshow is the perfect amount of interactive/time-killing/distraction. Yes it's only there to hold you before the next pre-show, but I feel that it works with the story; killing bacteria before a scientific 'procedure'. In all the times I rode it, every guest had fun with it. If it entertains a vast majority of riders, kills time in line, and preps them for attraction, what's the harm?
This contrasts heavily with things like the Soarin' queue and the games of Space Mountain which were there for... what reason?
I just really really do not like Dr Stevens. He comes across as a complete idiot. It’s like he was reading the script for the first time while they were filming and has no idea what he is saying. Dr Ogden’s scenes are much better, and the interactive Kinect stuff is great. But Dr Stevens ruins the entire thing for me, and detracts from the overall ride experience.

Last edited:

mccgavin

I may be a bit biased since I have never ridden Test Track 1.0, but I personally think Test Track 2.0 is really enjoyable and a vast improvement from what I have seen. I think that Test Track 1.0 was starting to become dated, and I think Disney was obligated to update it rather than let it sit and rot. I found Test Track 1.0 to be one of the most unaesthetically pleasing rides in the resort with it's warehouse motif, and I completely understand Disney's desires to revamp it.

I feel like the car creation is very unique and fits in with Epcot's vision, as it makes younger children want to ride it over and over trying to make the perfect vehicle. While they could've taken this concept further, it still evokes a layer of creativity and I do admit I've gotten quite invested in this process at times. The only thing I feel that was better about 1.0 was the narration in the ride, but I still think the pros largely outweigh the cons in this scenario.

AJDMB05

I may be a bit biased since I have never ridden Test Track 1.0, but I personally think Test Track 2.0 is really enjoyable and a vast improvement from what I have seen. I think that Test Track 1.0 was starting to become dated, and I think Disney was obligated to update it rather than let it sit and rot. I found Test Track 1.0 to be one of the most unaesthetically pleasing rides in the resort with it's warehouse motif, and I completely understand Disney's desires to revamp it.

I feel like the car creation is very unique and fits in with Epcot's vision, as it makes younger children want to ride it over and over trying to make the perfect vehicle. While they could've taken this concept further, it still evokes a layer of creativity and I do admit I've gotten quite invested in this process at times. The only thing I feel that was better about 1.0 was the narration in the ride, but I still think the pros largely outweigh the cons in this scenario.
It feels lazy to me, similar to the screens replacing actual set pieces and scenes in the descent to Spaceship Earth. You know what your car will score on each test when you build it, it doesn't affect the ride, there's almost no narration, it's just like you're driving through a futuristic GM showroom. 1.0 was very 90s, and needed some updating, but they really gutted out all of the detail that made the original ride interesting and jammed a bunch of screens in there. Where there used to be detail and set pieces, there's just empty space and screens. There's no story, no proper preshow, just get in the car and ride. Maybe for kids there's re-rideability solely because of the create a car thing, but once you figure out the extent of that it loses its appeal.

mccgavin

It feels lazy to me, similar to the screens replacing actual set pieces and scenes in the descent to Spaceship Earth. You know what your car will score on each test when you build it, it doesn't affect the ride, there's almost no narration, it's just like you're driving through a futuristic GM showroom. 1.0 was very 90s, and needed some updating, but they really gutted out all of the detail that made the original ride interesting and jammed a bunch of screens in there. Where there used to be detail and set pieces, there's just empty space and screens. There's no story, no proper preshow, just get in the car and ride. Maybe for kids there's re-rideability solely because of the create a car thing, but once you figure out the extent of that it loses its appeal.
Is there any notable set pieces that were removed? The trees and the truck are still there. Unless I am mistaken, everything else appeared to be a warehouse backdrop

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom