Upcoming Changes to Test Track?

The Pho

Gotta disagree. Like it or hate it, the car creation is so integral to the new version that the ride would be kinda meaningless without it. I shouldn't need to download a mobile app to get the full enjoyment out of a ride
Is it though? I’d say it’s entirely irrelevant. It has no effect on the ride. The best you get if you’re lucky is your car showing on a screen or two for a few seconds, showing you nothing more than the numbers you already knew when you made it.

Last edited:

Kman101

TT 2.0 is better than 1.0

I quite preferred the first version. Do I think 2.0 "fits" better? Sure. But it's not really an amazing ride by any stretch. It's popular because it's thrilling and fun for a few minutes. It should have been an addition and it'd be fine.

It just lacks. Much like Soarin' and Mission Space do. They aren't fully fleshed out pavilions, just fun thrilling rides. Nothing wrong with that, either, but for me that's why I've never sung all of their praises like some do.

Is it though? I’d say it’s entirely irrelevant. It has no effect on the ride. The best you get if your lucky is your car showing on a screen or two for a few seconds, showing you nothing more than the numbers you already knew when you made it.

I agree. I think it's a waste of time. But many seem to just love it. I don't get it.

Little Green Men

I quite preferred the first version. Do I think 2.0 "fits" better? Sure. But it's not really an amazing ride by any stretch. It's popular because it's thrilling and fun for a few minutes. It should have been an addition and it'd be fine.

It just lacks. Much like Soarin' and Mission Space do. They aren't fully fleshed out pavilions, just fun thrilling rides. Nothing wrong with that, either, but for me that's why I've never sung all of their praises like some do.

I agree. I think it's a waste of time. But many seem to just love it. I don't get it.
I find TT 2.0 more complete as a pavilion than 1.0 with the queue and post show area. The original post show was essentially the show room and one small side exhibit. The new version has Atleast 4 exhibits plus the show room

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Move the "create your own car" To Disney park play app. So you dont have to wait on the screens

Especially with the concept being so inconsequential to the ride and "storyline".

Still a slightly better version to the original TT though. Just wish the "create your test car" premise was better utilized within the ride.
(and maybe the optional buy your custom car souvenir)

Last edited:

tomast

Wow. I think that feature is the coolest thing in Future World.

I agree that the rest of the ride needs work, but the design part of TT is awesome!
My car is always a generic violet futuristic style. like all the others that ride with me. So guess who got the best raking on every "test"?? yeah! the violet car, mine? yours?? no idea...

JWG

The create your own vehicle component is so important that when there's no line (I know rare), I've completely skipped that portion of the queue (i.e. just walked straight through the room), to keep moving toward the ride. It's great for breaking up the wait and making the line seem shorter, but it's completely unecessary to the ride. Heck, I've gone through when the time limit has been so short you don't have time to really create the care before time runs out. It's purely a line management tool.

montyz81

I find TT 2.0 more complete as a pavilion than 1.0 with the queue and post show area. The original post show was essentially the show room and one small side exhibit. The new version has Atleast 4 exhibits plus the show room
I'd have to say of all the versions, WoM was the most complete version. I just watched @marni1971 s tribute to WoM and boy was it a well-told story, something neither TT 1.0 or 2.0 could say. The amount of detail and thought that went into WoM was truly amazing. If Disney were smart, they would have included the original outdoor track (or some version of it that could hit high speeds) first imagined in the 1978 WoM concept with an updated version of WoM. The updated WoM could have included the history of motion along with the history of auto racing with LM or Mater narrating. Would be a very involved ride and include every element that makes both Epcot purists and new to Disney parkgoers happy, IP, Learning, Fun. Ok, my pen is now down on armchair Imagineering.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Armchair upgrade to this attraction: Make it a game! Based on points awarded during each test; ranked against other custom cars in your "design group". Winner declared at end of Speed (Errm.. POWER test) The end goal is to make the attraction more interactive with a better tie-in to the custom car design storyline.

1) EVERY member of the Design Group creates their ideal custom vehicles. If not created one will be chosen.

Example:
Name of Group = FamilyCars Mfg (applies to everyone in group)
Name of Creator = Mom (or Alice, etc)
Name of Vehicle = Peacekeeper

2) Sim Car is unique to the Group. Sim Car for (FamilyCars Mfg) now boarding. Prepare for Testing.

3) During each Test: Points are awarded based on performance of vehicle at each stage. A number system ranging from 1 - 10 points.

4) Winner = highest points accumulated during test.
a) Optional* winner can be chosen beforehand. Useful for helicopter parents, Billy celebrating his 9th birthday, etc)

Power Test Scene @ Breakaway Doors:

This entire scene would be recreated to first appear as a giant results board showing current rankings before final test. The scoreboard rises to reveal a tunnel. (tunnel looks identical to "Road Test" tunnel with similar digital landscape) Tunnel visuals adjust as vehicle approaches. (Squinching to creating depth perspective) As vehicle nears tunnel's entrance the visuals scatter like dematerializing pixels as the doors open. After Power Test (outdoor portion) the final results for the Design Group are posted declaring the winner!

//You too can be a winner in the all new Chevy "insert name of Chevy vehicle here"// lol

5) At exit: the Design Group has the option to purchase a model of their custom vehicles in the gift shop. Incentive to upcharge experience: Test Track Winner can purchase his or her custom vehicle at a discount for being the "Best-Designed" in their group.

Last edited:

MattFrees71

I'd have to say of all the versions, WoM was the most complete version. I just watched @marni1971 s tribute to WoM and boy was it a well-told story, something neither TT 1.0 or 2.0 could say. The amount of detail and thought that went into WoM was truly amazing. If Disney were smart, they would have included the original outdoor track (or some version of it that could hit high speeds) first imagined in the 1978 WoM concept with an updated version of WoM. The updated WoM could have included the history of motion along with the history of auto racing with LM or Mater narrating. Would be a very involved ride and include every element that makes both Epcot purists and new to Disney parkgoers happy, IP, Learning, Fun. Ok, my pen is now down on armchair Imagineering.
Great idea. They could have kept some of the iconic WoM scenes (like the traffic jam or train holdup), but changed the track system and track itself to have more thrilling elements and be able to go faster at certain parts. Then have the climax being the outdoor track portion and then end going through the original futuristic city from WoM.

TrojanUSC

I enjoyed this ride so much more when the pre-show was the two people talking to us about the different driving conditions we would experience. When the queue line actually consisted of things you would see inside a car assembly plant.

And when the ride had real effects, props and told a cohesive story that anybody could understand?

Railfan Andrew

I suppose so, but everything had a purpose. In the 2012 refurb they really did remove a lot. The down-ramp after the initial hill climb used to be testing the "rough road surfaces" with Belgian and German blocks (that's the part where OnStar kicks in). The two short sequences where you speed up and spin-out used to be antilock brake tests that had all sort of physical pieces that resembled a testing ground. The three rooms that are now the efficiency test which is just a mirror and a projection, used to have actual heat lamps, chillers and mist to simulate corrosion and weather effects. The hairpin turns and close call with the truck were the same, and in 2012 just got blue lights to outline the trees and truck.

The entire final indoor scene before the "power" test used to be a barrier test and have an actual car that would crash to simulate what you were about to do. It at least told a story throughout. Doesn't mean one's better than the other, I just preferred the original to today's Tron-like aesthetics.
It is kinda nice not getting blasted with heat lamps though. If I had to, I would have gone on the original one more time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom