UP for best pic

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Original Poster
UP has been nominated for best picture at the Academy Awards this year. It is also up for best animated feature, and Best Original Screenplay.

The best animated feature is a lock. But I hope it gets a win for one of the other 2 categories. It is my favorite movie of the year by far, with Avatar second.

I also feel that UP is Disney's best effort since possibly the Lion King.

papercut

Michael Giacchino is also nominated for best score for Up.

Speaking of Giacchino... LOST is back tonight!!! :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

MousDad

IMO, Up should be a lock for 3 Oscars: Animated, Screenplay (probably won't win, but it should) & Score (Giacchino's work here is nothing short of sheer brilliance).

And I have one word for a Pixar film being nominated for best picture: FINALLY. Wall-E should have been nominated as well.

SirGoofy

IMO, Up should be a lock for 3 Oscars: Animated, Screenplay (probably won't win, but it should) & Score (Giacchino's work here is nothing short of sheer brilliance).

And I have one word for a Pixar film being nominated for best picture: FINALLY. Wall-E should have been nominated as well.

WALL-E should have won in a landslide last year. There was no movie that was better than it in 2008.

I think I may be the only person in the entire world that liked PatF better than Up. :lookaroun

Yea, probably.:lol:

Its great that they nominated Up, but I doubt it will will best picture. My vote is on Avatar of course.

Avatar doesn't deserve to win bets picture. The movie absolutely blew me away, but a lot of that came from the technical aspect.

My top 3 films of 2009:

1. District 9
2. Up
3. Avatar

Up should win, it was soooo much better than Avitar. I almost feel asleep watching Avitar. With Up, I have seen that movie at least 14 times and still cannot take my eyes off the screen. But does it really matter what we all think? These stupid award shows are nothing but popularity contests, which is clearly evident from Taylor Swift winning best Album at the Grammys. (Granted I love Taylor Swift but she still has some growing to do, where is she to go now?)

Disneyfanman

Misc thoughts:

Up was my favorite movie this past year, and it would be really nice for it to pull an Academy Award for Best Picture, but I really think many of the academy voters skip animated films. Too bad, but that's the reality of Hollywood. I too have seen it many times at the theater and on TV.

It really deserves to win original screenplay and score too. They were brilliant and unique.

Avatar is an event film that has changed the game. Hugely popular and noteworthy due to its technical brilliance, it really deserves to win Best Picture of the year. I loved the movie and it was my 2nd favorite of the year.

James Cameron shouldn't win best director, even though he pulled off something that was unique and daring. That award should go to someone who directed the human elements IMHO. I'm hoping Avatar wins best pic, and his ex wife wins for the Hurt Locker.

Princess and the Frog? Song maybe, but I just wasn't that impressed with the songs. They were nice, and fit the story, but do they really deserve a win? I wish that my favorite, Dig a little deeper, had been nominated.

Is UP the most nominated animated film in history? Picture, Animated feature, original score, screenplay and song?

Will being included in the Best Picture category hurt their chances in Best Animated Feature? It would be crazy if they didn't pull one of them.

And what the heck is The Blind Side doing on the list? I LOVED the movie, (saw it twice), but Best Picture? Sandra Bullock was brilliant though and deserves her Best Actress nom.

Inquiring minds want to know.

BrerFrog

I don't think Avatar should win the Best Picture Award. From a technical standpoint it was flawless, but it lacks a good story and great acting.

SirGoofy

I don't think Avatar should win the Best Picture Award. From a technical standpoint it was flawless, but it lacks a good story and great acting.

I disagree. I think it had a great story. Yes it was archetypal, but the imagination put into Pandora was great.

The writing was really all that needed improvement.

stlbobby

Up got a best picture nomination because they have expanded the field from 5 nominees to 10 this year. They were looking to get a more diverse sampling.

This why Up got a nom and WALL-E didn't. As far as I know the only other animated feature to get a best pic nom was Beauty and the Beast, so from the standpoint of competing at the highest level Up is in a small class. By absolute number of nominations I would assume some other Disney flicks have pulled more, because each song can be nominated individually, giving some movies as many as four nominations in one category.

I wouldn't hold my breath for an Up win tough. While the larger field diversified the films as intended, the votes will still probably go by conventional wisdom. Avatar has the big money and the spectacle going for it, but topical dramas like Up in the Air and Hurt Locker are the Academy's bread and butter.

This being the first year of the expanded field the unexpected could happen.

On an unrelated note--as an OIF veteran, I hope people don't think Hurt Locker is what it is really like over there.

CastleBound

I disagree. I think it had a great story. Yes it was archetypal, but the imagination put into Pandora was great.

The writing was really all that needed improvement.

I'm with you! I loved the story. It had a typical good verses bad storyline, but what movie doesn't? Like you said, the imagination and creativity that was put into creating every detail should give it the win alone.

I thought the acting was great! Especially for Zoe Saldana. She was extremely emotional and her range was amazing. She had some really heart felt scenes. Its good to see that she and the rest of the actors actually acted the movie and it wasn't all CGI work. They did the actual work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom