News UP! A Great Bird Adventure Getting A Rewrite

RSoxNo1

I’m not sure when the different rewrites happened, I love the old flights of wonder show and saw it a couple times per trip. The new show I saw twice and said never again but I was walking by the theatre and a show was just starting so I went in. I was pleasantly surprised! They basically fixed it as far as I’m concerned. One of the old guano joe guides was a wilderness explorer leader... (the amazing former adventures club / Gus the bus driver / officer Peabody) -this worked wayyyyy better than the random cultural guide. Also more birds and better pacing. I still liked the old show better but this is fine.

At least they knew the show needed help and fixed it.
This was a few months ago, it's better but still not 50% the show that Flights of Wonder was. They're still faced with the problem of pre-recorded lines from Dug and Russell. They also take too long before the actual birds come out and do the demonstrations.

If they're insistent on keeping UP characters in the show, they need to eliminate Russell. He's one of my favorite Pixar characters of all time, but he simply doesn't work as a talking character that can't change his facial expression.

TrainsOfDisney

This was a few months ago, it's better but still not 50% the show that Flights of Wonder was. They're still faced with the problem of pre-recorded lines from Dug and Russell. They also take too long before the actual birds come out and do the demonstrations.

If they're insistent on keeping UP characters in the show, they need to eliminate Russell. He's one of my favorite Pixar characters of all time, but he simply doesn't work as a talking character that can't change his facial expression.

Oh I totally agree flights of wonder was better. But this worked ok for me. I do think even more of Russel should be cut, but it’s a better balance now.

Yesterday the show started with an owl before any characters came out, is that the way it’s been? I thought that helped get the show rolling as well (similar to the original when miles would do his tricks before Joe came out).

John park hopper

The old show was so much better we always made it a point to do. Saw the new version yuck!!! Do a rewrite and incorporate Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds" where Doug is attacked by the birds at the end would improve it 100%

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

I saw the show yesterday and the Explorer's leader was the Streetmosphere/Adventurer's Club Alum who played Emil Bleehall...He made the character better as he knows how to get a crowd going..
percival_body.jpg

Lirael

Definitely not sad to see them go. I saw it last time I was at AK and for the first time I felt like the show was a waste of time, too much focus on IP, too much time wasted having the characters interact between each other without birds anywhere. I was bringing along a Disney First Timer and I wish I had done more research in the changes before going in.

I also doubt there are any hardcore UP fans who feel like this removal is sad: as much as it detracted from the birds, it also didn't have sufficient material to make it a cool UP show that happened to have live birds.

TrainsOfDisney

I saw it last time I was at AK and for the first time I felt like the show was a waste of time, too much focus on IP, too much time wasted having the characters interact between each other without birds anywhere.

Did you see the version with the Cultural representative co-host or the Wilderness Explorer co-host?

Lirael

Did you see the version with the Cultural representative co-host or the Wilderness Explorer co-host?
It was September 2018 last I saw (was going back this year but... here we are), I think it was Wilderness Explorer co-host since I vaguely remember some semblance of a plot about the characters joining the explorers, but I can't be certain because I definitely wasn't paying enough attention or enjoying the plot so I didn't retain details.

TrainsOfDisney

It was September 2018 last I saw (was going back this year but... here we are), I think it was Wilderness Explorer co-host since I vaguely remember some semblance of a plot about the characters joining the explorers, but I can't be certain because I definitely wasn't paying enough attention or enjoying the plot so I didn't retain details.

I’m not sure about the timeline but the first re-write with up had a “cultural representative” as the co-host and it was terrible. Really awkward to watch.

The last time I went there was a “Wilderness Explorer” guide who was played by one of the actors who used to do Guano Joe - it was much better. Way less time with the up characters and less awkward.

Lirael

I’m not sure about the timeline but the first re-write with up had a “cultural representative” as the co-host and it was terrible. Really awkward to watch.

The last time I went there was a “Wilderness Explorer” guide who was played by one of the actors who used to do Guano Joe - it was much better. Way less time with the up characters and less awkward.
What I remember is this: I think the face actor started chatting, then UP character's came along and started explaining how the got there and why, face actor explained who he was, I think there was something in the script about a bird stealing/breaking something as well. Oh yes, actually I recall two women as face characters along with the UP ones. More than the words, what really stayed in my mind was the feeling of time passing and the skits not ending.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom