UO's future

Lynx04

Michael72688 said:
I'm kinda hoping Universal makes an announcement some time in May, to take some steam off of Disney's 50th anniversary stuff. However I have a feeling this wont happen. I love Universal, but sometimes they just make some really bad choices, but I guess time will tell
But, when you think of it, Disney's HCOE will increase USF attendence even without adding a major attraction. USF still has the Mummy to play as their new headline attraction and many people have yet to experience it. Having said all that, if USF doesn't have something in the pipelines for when HCOE ends, their maybe a period of lower attendence. I think if the timing is right, they could have a strong performance over the next few years.

Michael72688

Lynx04 said:
But, when you think of it, Disney's HCOE will increase USF attendence even without adding a major attraction. USF still has the Mummy to play as their new headline attraction and many people have yet to experience it. Having said all that, if USF doesn't have something in the pipelines for when HCOE ends, their maybe a period of lower attendence. I think if the timing is right, they could have a strong performance over the next few years.

Thats true I didn't even think about that. This year has been off to a great start, I just hope it stays that way. I will admit while working I talk to a lot of people who are visiting IoA for the first time, and that was just over the past month or so, so I guess they hopefully will continue to grow. I'm hoping though that by the end of the year, or beginning of next there has been some sort of announcement or even construction. They should have planned something to counter E:E.

Ralph Wiggum

Account Suspended
when I go on a solo day I get to interact with people differently when I'm with my family. I've met a lot of people this year in the UO parks and resorts for the first time, and a great majority of them express a 'better than WDW' experience. I think UO is finally coming into it's own, and the currency exchange rate and UK targeted campaign has helped. they're 2 of the best parks in the world. let's hope expansion doesn't come in the way of more hotel rooms.

DarkMeasures

I do think Universal could pull off a lagoon based fireworks show. But I am wondering, wouldn't they need to build sound barriers for the nearby subdivisions?

But I think if Universal stays to something more or less based more on low level fireworks and lazers, a good show could be produced.

On another note. I have had about 100 chances to see Illuminations ROE and I have yet to do so. I am getting pretty mad of not seeing it yet. I guess the band trip next year will be my last chance.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Original Poster
DarkMeasures said:
I do think Universal could pull off a lagoon based fireworks show. But I am wondering, wouldn't they need to build sound barriers for the nearby subdivisions?

Disneyland is surrounded by homes and they don't seem to have a problem putting their fireworks off (although the neighbors don't like it)....

TheOneVader

DarkMeasures said:
On another note. I have had about 100 chances to see Illuminations ROE and I have yet to do so. I am getting pretty mad of not seeing it yet. I guess the band trip next year will be my last chance.

You better go, because it is one AMAZING show. :)

Michael72688

I really think they could pull off a fireworks show. Low level fireworks, lasers, fountains, fire, and lighting effects could be done in the lagoon, while the big, high fireworks can go off around the perimeter of the park.

Ralph Wiggum

Account Suspended
sound barriers and earth berms really won't do it. not to mention UO isn't going to drop the 50k per night budget Illuminations has while the parks continually are in the big red numbers. attractions build your base, not shows. busch gardens has slipping numbers for the past 4 years. Sheikra was a 10+ million build in an effort to spike the numbers. how much talk is there of Seaworld's Blue Horizon's? not much. same as Mystify. I just don't see UO actually retaining people in the parks with fireworks. but I could be wrong. :)

AndyP

Ralph Wiggum said:
sound barriers and earth berms really won't do it. not to mention UO isn't going to drop the 50k per night budget Illuminations has while the parks continually are in the big red numbers. attractions build your base, not shows. busch gardens has slipping numbers for the past 4 years. Sheikra was a 10+ million build in an effort to spike the numbers. how much talk is there of Seaworld's Blue Horizon's? not much. same as Mystify. I just don't see UO actually retaining people in the parks with fireworks. but I could be wrong. :)

Firework shows are normaly not done to pull people to the park but o keep people in the park. Initially maybe people will come to new shows, annual passholders and such, but its more to keep eople in to closing to make more money from food drinks and souvenirs. Disney has set the standard though, but their shows are packed, they are fantastic, and what better way to put people in a good mood and then have the shops open to buy souvenirs of the now 'memorable' day. I hope IoA gets one!!

Michael72688

This spring break they only did fireworks at USF, so IoA numbers at night were really low, we were closing the restaurant early every night because they park was dead by when the fireworks would have started

TheOneVader

Michael72688 said:
This spring break they only did fireworks at USF, so IoA numbers at night were really low, we were closing the restaurant early every night because they park was dead by when the fireworks would have started

So I guess we know fireworks would be good at keeping the people in at night, even if at just one park.

Michael72688

TheOneVader said:
So I guess we know fireworks would be good at keeping the people in at night, even if at just one park.

Yea, and it will bring in more money! I hope if they do one they will do it more often the just about two months out of the year

DarkMeasures

AndyP said:
Firework shows are normaly not done to pull people to the park but o keep people in the park. Initially maybe people will come to new shows, annual passholders and such, but its more to keep eople in to closing to make more money from food drinks and souvenirs. Disney has set the standard though, but their shows are packed, they are fantastic, and what better way to put people in a good mood and then have the shops open to buy souvenirs of the now 'memorable' day. I hope IoA gets one!!

Well that is also why the idea of a lagoon based show at Animal Kingdom has been thrown around. Now that would be a challenge. I mean if a nighttime show is ever made at Animal Kingom, I don't think a single Firework could be used unless it is in a secluded area like Fantasmic.

But it is true. Both IoA and Animal Kingdom suffer from the same problems. Keeping guests in. But both attempts are seemingly different. Disney is out to build several E-rides to contain more guests while IoA, which has already too many E-rides is out to build a nighttime spectacular.

I wonder if both will be successful. (I really do want to be able to spend my time at both for all day. I only was able to do it once at Animal Kingdom because of the heavy rains and the fact that Dinosaur had 0 wait time).

coasterphil

If Universal ever gets around to building another island for IOA I would definitely stay from open till close. As it is now though most people end up staying fairly late, around 7 or so. I can't say the same thing for AK. My family was out of there by 2 and it seemed to be the same with most others.

TheOneVader

DarkMeasures said:
Well that is also why the idea of a lagoon based show at Animal Kingdom has been thrown around. Now that would be a challenge. I mean if a nighttime show is ever made at Animal Kingom, I don't think a single Firework could be used unless it is in a secluded area like Fantasmic.

But it is true. Both IoA and Animal Kingdom suffer from the same problems. Keeping guests in. But both attempts are seemingly different. Disney is out to build several E-rides to contain more guests while IoA, which has already too many E-rides is out to build a nighttime spectacular.

I wonder if both will be successful. (I really do want to be able to spend my time at both for all day. I only was able to do it once at Animal Kingdom because of the heavy rains and the fact that Dinosaur had 0 wait time).

I think Animal Kingdom's problem is the animals. They can't have a fireworks show because the animals wouldn't be too pleased with the loud noises. I suppose you could have a Fantasmic! like show, but it'd have to have a long path way off from the animals.

On the nighttime show issue, wasn't General Electric (parent company of NBC Universal) the sponsor and co-developer of Illuminations up until they bought Universal? I know they sponored it for a long time, but I can't remember the timeframe of the sponsorship. But, if they sponsored and had a say in the development of Illuminations, you know GE can already put on a good nighttime show.

DisneyFan 2000

TheOneVader said:
I think Animal Kingdom's problem is the animals. They can't have a fireworks show because the animals wouldn't be too pleased with the loud noises. I suppose you could have a Fantasmic! like show, but it'd have to have a long path way off from the animals.

I think Busch Gardens has fireworks.. It's only a matter of finding a place far enough away from the animals... The new E:E area could open up new options for a place for the show!

DarkMeasures

DisneyFan 2000 said:
I think Busch Gardens has fireworks.. It's only a matter of finding a place far enough away from the animals... The new E:E area could open up new options for a place for the show!

Isn't Tarzan closing soon? Isn't there room in that area?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom