Unversal Newbie

Shere_Khan

Original Poster
Planning a trip to Disney on Oct 2-8th. I have my schedule pretty much full and there is no room for a Universal trip, however I am thinking about adding an extra night so we can have one full day for Universal. I would really like to check out Harry Potter but am also concerned it will still be so new that there will be huge crowds at the HP part of the park.
Never having been to Universal - I have a couple questions.

We only have one day. I know HP is in Islands of Adventure. I feel there is more in Universal Studios that I am interested in but we have to go to IoA for HP. I do like roller coasters but the other two people in my party are not huge fans so I feel like IoA will not have alot we can all do together. Which is the better park? Should I buy the one park ticket for IoA thinking that I will spend most of my day in HP and maybe see some other things? Not sure I want to spend the money on the 2 park ticket because I am not sure if we would see it all in just one day.
How close are the two parks?
What are the must see at Universal Studios that I will miss out on?

How much on average would a cab ride be from Port Orleans to IoA??

I see on the website 1 day is $79. If I buy this ticket on the website I can use it any day I choose right? You don't buy for the specific day?

Where is the Halloween Horror Nights located? Is this a special ticket you need. I just don't want to see any of that so I am hoping it is extra and we will need to leave before that begins.

Any help on the planning of this would be much appreciated!

lilclerk

I enjoy both parks, however I prefer IoA to Universal Studios. The theming there is absolutely incredible and, as fun as US is, it makes a much more enjoyable experience. Plus it has HP and Spiderman, so it pretty much wins for me. We do usually do both parks in one day, but I know with HP this summer it will be impossible, so we're actually taking two days out of Disney to head over there.

I recall paying about $40-45 one way for a cab plus tip from Pop Century, I can't imagine it would be much more from POR. Depending on how many people are in your party, it may be cheaper to get a shuttle through Mears. When we went last December, it was $18/person round trip.

And yes, the ticket you purchase will be good for any day.

I'm not positive about Halloween Horror Nights, but I think they're at Universal and they're hard ticketed, so you might be ushered out earlier than normal, just like MNSSHP.

Planning a trip to Disney on Oct 2-8th. I have my schedule pretty much full and there is no room for a Universal trip, however I am thinking about adding an extra night so we can have one full day for Universal. I would really like to check out Harry Potter but am also concerned it will still be so new that there will be huge crowds at the HP part of the park.

We only have one day. I know HP is in Islands of Adventure. I feel there is more in Universal Studios that I am interested in but we have to go to IoA for HP. I do like roller coasters but the other two people in my party are not huge fans so I feel like IoA will not have alot we can all do together. Which is the better park? Should I buy the one park ticket for IoA thinking that I will spend most of my day in HP and maybe see some other things? Not sure I want to spend the money on the 2 park ticket because I am not sure if we would see it all in just one day.

I see on the website 1 day is $79. If I buy this ticket on the website I can use it any day I choose right? You don't buy for the specific day?

Where is the Halloween Horror Nights located? Is this a special ticket you need. I just don't want to see any of that so I am hoping it is extra and we will need to leave before that begins.

If you haven't already extended your stay at Port Orleans, I would highly recommend booking your last night at one of Universal's onsite resorts, and splurging on 1-day 2-park passes. With your Universal Hotel keycard, you will recieve complimentary, unlimited Express for the day. Express is Uni's answer to Fastpass...The main difference is that Express is something that must be purchased, and there is a gauranteed 15 minute wait or less. While Forbidden Journey may or may not offer Express access, you will be able to skip the lines at nearly every other attraction. Going this route, I think you would easily be able to enjoy both parks in one day =)

As far as must sees at Universal, my personal favorites are Revenge of the Mummy, JAWS, Men in Black: Alien Attack, ET, and The Horror Makeup Show.

The 2 parks are very close to eachother...just a short walk across CityWalk. I unfortunately have no idea how much a cab would cost.

Horror Nights is a specially ticketed event located at Universal.

Anyways, if theres anything else I can help you with, let me know. I've worked for Universal for years, so I'm a pretty good source of information :wave:

Skip

If you haven't already extended your stay at Port Orleans, I would highly recommend booking your last night at one of Universal's onsite resorts, and splurging on 1-day 2-park passes. With your Universal Hotel keycard, you will recieve complimentary, unlimited Express for the day. Express is Uni's answer to Fastpass...The main difference is that Express is something that must be purchased, and there is a gauranteed 15 minute wait or less. While Forbidden Journey may or may not offer Express access, you will be able to skip the lines at nearly every other attraction. Going this route, I think you would easily be able to enjoy both parks in one day =)

As far as must sees at Universal, my personal favorites are Revenge of the Mummy, JAWS, Men in Black: Alien Attack, ET, and The Horror Makeup Show.

The 2 parks are very close to eachother...just a short walk across CityWalk. I unfortunately have no idea how much a cab would cost.

Anyways, if theres anything else I can help you with, let me know. I've worked for Universal for years, so I'm a pretty good source of information :wave:

This is the best advice. I'd go for a one night stay at one of their resorts, if not for the express bonus alone - you're pretty much guaranteed to see every attraction you'd like if you stay full hours, even though the Studios will close a little earlier than usual for the Horror Nights (which are also fantastic, by the way).

I'm hearing Forbidden Journey will not have Express for the summer, but when it will be instated (and it apparently will, given the Express queue installed) is presently unknown. I'd assume it won't be available and recommend you hit Islands of Adventure first, hitting the three Potter rides. After that, you can use your Express to hit any attraction you please with the possible exception of Rip Ride Rockit at the Studios (which also has yet to have Express instated despite the available queue installed).

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask!

JohnLocke

I've never done Universal at that time of year, but I would probably go 2 park/1 day deal their website has. I've been to Universal 4 times, I think, and only once to Islands of Adventure, but it was in it's second year when I went. I'm really looking forward to going back for Harry Potter and re-doing Spider-man, but I think I like regular Universal Studios a little more than Islands of Adventure.

While parts of it, for me, are nowhere near as good as they were in some of its first years, Universal Studios still has a lot of really fun attractions everyone can enjoy. The Mummy's a great ride, and pretty well-themed, and while Jaws and what used to be Earthquake are showing their age, both are still fairly solid attractions. I miss Back to the Future, but the Simpsons ride is a pretty good replacement, and MiB is really great. The Terminator 3-D show may be one of the best in any theme park, though I didn't get to do it on my last visit. E.T. is also still great and is very interesting from the inside queue to the end of the ride. And while I miss the theming and many of the things that went with Hitchcock and Hannah Barbara, Jimmy Neutron and Shrek 4-D are solid, even if they really don't really fit their sections and they could really use Hitchcock back.

My last trip their was early morning around Christmas a year and a half ago and everything in old Universal, including the Mummy, was pretty much a walkon for at least half the day, don't know how it will be in October, but that could be a positive.

hack2112

By the way, if you do have the night and want to experience the absolute pinnacle in both immersion and horror, I would go to HHN (preferably with buying their Express if you're going on a Friday or Saturday). It is my favorite theme park event of the year, and even if you do get too scared to do the haunted houses, the shows are fantastic (and generally not scary, especially Bill & Ted's) and most of the rides are open in the Studios park.

Belle4ever22

YOU HAVE TO GO TO UNIVERSAL/IOA!

I would say that you should absolutely go.

Ok so if you buy your ticket online it does not have to be for a certain day, you can pick whatever fits you and your groups schedule,

Next go for the one day 2 park ticket. I have a pass and my group goes up for the day(usually on a weekday) and we easily go back and forth between the parks at least 3 times. The parks are about 4mins in walking distance. both are connected to city walk and city walk is connected to the parking garage.

Now you have one of two options. Whatever you do get at the gate about 10 till open. First you can go to ioa first and go straight to harry potter and get it done right off the bat. then go to universal and back and forth. Or option two which I think will be better...... Go to universal go to mummy then mib then simpson and you have the big rides done in about 45mins

Last Halloween horror nights is a special ticket event. Universal empty's the park before the event happens.

Mouse Man

Sorry, but once you stay at a WDW resort, you really feel out of place staying at a hotel in Uni. I have done this and the DWF and I both feel we paid for a fancy room that we could have done anywhere. If you want to enjoy UNI but still have the WDW vacation magic, get a room at any one of the WDW resorts and make sure you inform them that you do not need park passes and all that stuff. You can negotiate a good price still have the WDW vacation magic and go and see Uni and be very happy. Now if you really want to stay at a hotel off the Disney propperty, then Stay at The Gaylord Palms Resort. The hotel is unbelievable and the food fantastic. Hope this helps you out a bit, but like I 've said and also experienced I will never stay at a Uni Hotel again after staying at a resort in WDW. There is no comparison at all.

SleepingMonk

...If you want to enjoy UNI but still have the WDW vacation magic, get a room at any one of the WDW resorts and make sure you inform them that you do not need park passes and all that stuff....

I respectfully disagree.

We've stayed at every deluxe resort on Disney property multiple times, including concierge level.

Portofino, Hard Rock and Royal Pacific are smaller but equal or better in quality of service and amenities.

Why would you ever stay at a Disney resort when you're not even going to WDW?

Stay at a Universal resort and get unlimited free ExpressPass to all the major rides, dining and shop discounts, be within walking distance of the parks, etc.....

We can see and ride pretty much everything in one day at both the IoA and US. Since you are going in October, it's a pretty slow time of year, no matter how the Disney crowds are. (We were there the week after you in 2008).

Universal Studios: It has a really cool feel to it. The Mummy is awesome, Terminator, Jaws, Shrek, Jimmy Neutron, can't miss the Beetle Juice show, Twister, ET. This is also where the Halloween Horror nights show is(which is a separate ticket). If you do both in the same day, go here first, it closes earlier and you will miss the crowds that start arriving for the Halloween Horror Nights later in the day.

Islands of Adventure: More variety/themes lands. Suess's landing, Jurassic Park, Marvel, Toon Lagoon. I would say you would need more time on this side of the park, even if you are not too into rollercoasters.

Basically if you want to do both in one day, you can for sure do it. Just get there when it opens and stay untill it closes, and have an idea of what your "must-sees" are. The Halloween Horror Nights won't really affect you, they didn't affect us. And you can always buy they 2 day ticket, and try to do everything in one day, and if you don't you have another day, that, if they still do it, won't ever expire. Our last trip to Universal was an extra day left over from a trip a few years earlier.

Have a great time!

Skip

I respectfully disagree.

We've stayed at every deluxe resort on Disney property multiple times, including concierge level.

Portofino, Hard Rock and Royal Pacific are smaller but equal or better in quality of service and amenities.

Why would you ever stay at a Disney resort when you're not even going to WDW?

Stay at a Universal resort and get unlimited free ExpressPass to all the major rides, dining and shop discounts, be within walking distance of the parks, etc.....

I agree. I've stayed at each of the resorts at least twice (Royal Pacific at least a dozen times by this point!) and they are absolutely on par with most of the Disney resorts; the only three one could argue are superior are the Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge, and Animal Kingdom Lodge due to their sheer scale. That said, the three Universal resorts carry wonderful themes with plenty of amenitites, very nice rooms, great restaurants, well-landscaped walks to the parks, and of course the treasured unlimited express access.

I honestly feel more immersed in the experience when staying at Universal than Disney. See, at Disney, while I may be immersed in the wonderful theming of the resort, I have to leave that bubble, board a bus, and for a time re-enter the real world of networked roads and parking lots before reaching my eventual destination (the exceptions are the Epcot resorts with the Boardwalk access, which I find comparable to Universal). Meanwhile at Universal, you get the completely controlled experience - you're immersed at the hotels, you walk through the Universal-controlled pathway to Citywalk, and you're at the parks, without a blip, with water taxis and bicycle carriages available to those who don't wish to walk.

Shere_Khan

Original Poster
I really appreciate all of the feedback!
I did book an extra night at the same resort in Disney we are staying at. It is just easier for me with the Magical Express back to the airport, and the extra dining credits. Since we are eating at a signature restaurant, this gives us one more restaurant to choose from on the day before our Universal trip.
Still trying to decide between the one park and two park ticket. That will most likely be decided later.

Now just trying to get there from Port Orleans. Looks like Mears might be the best option.
But I was wondering if anyone knew which Disney resort or park is closest to Universal? Or is it not really a large difference? Just thought the closer I could get maybe a cab would work out ok for the three of us.

ScorpionX

If I were you, I would add two extra nights, one for Universal Studios Orlando, and the other for Universal's Islands of Adventure.

Ziffell

If I were you, I would add two extra nights, one for Universal Studios Orlando, and the other for Universal's Islands of Adventure.

Both of these are really good advice!

Also, it's a misconception that IOA is a "coaster park". The park's coasters are among the best and therefore they get a lot of attention. But unfortunately this puts the idea in a lot of people's minds that the park can't be enjoyed unless you're into coasters. There is MUCH more to the park than just coasters. So don't let that stop you.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Sorry, but once you stay at a WDW resort, you really feel out of place . There is no comparison at all.

I agree Uni hotels are excellent and rely on providing a quality of service and accommodation that is far improved on Disney, the reliance on nostalgia and imagined magic may appeal to some, but those of us used to a minimum standard in our hotels do tend to find what is offered by Universal a class above. Express privileges are a genuine perk and the restaurants and near buy night life make it an obvious choice for grown ups.
This trip will be our 10th multiday stay at Universal, and despite enjoying AKKV and the Poly they arent a patch on any of the three hotels at Universal resort.

Walt Disney1955

Ah you're lucky, enjoy it. For sure you have to hit both parks while you are down there. It is well worth the price of admission: I'll list some "can't miss" rides/attractions for you. Try to see it all if you can, but if time is your enemy, don't miss these ones:

Universal
E.T. - The theming for this ride is astounding. This ride gives you the nostalgia and the realism that only a Disney ride has ever done for me. You'll feel right into the movie

Mummy - An amazing roller coaster I thought. Better than Space Mountain at Disney. Don't miss it

Terminator 2: 3-D - Don't miss this one. This is exactly how they should have done the 3rd movie IMO. Again this puts you right into the action and the theming is great

Islands of Adventure
Spiderman - Probably the best simulator ride you'll ever go on

Incredible Hulk - If you are a coaster fan you'll love it. Many people could describe this as the best one they were ever on

Jurassic Park River Aventure - Watch out for a T-Rex on the loose

Ripsaw Falls - If you don't want to get wet, then don't bother. But if you don't care then have fun. A much steeper drop than any other log ride I've been on

Popeye's Bilge-Rat Barges - Again, don't bother if you don't want to get soaked. No, never mind, I meant DRENCHED! It WILL happen. This is a classic white water raft ride and the best I have ever been on

Have not done Harry Potter yet. Enjoy it

Shere_Khan

Original Poster
I wish I could add two more nights, but it is getting up there in price as it is.
I finally have the entire trip booked. Free dining, two tours, MNSSHP, the room and tickets, and flights. So I have not yet bought the Universal ticket and our price is already above what I had originally anticipated.
Luckily with the free dining we won't need to spend a whole lot of money in the parks besides tips and any souveniers we want to buy.
The Universal ticket and cab fare (or mears I need to check on) are the last things. Are the tickets at the gate just as expensive as buying online prior to the trip? I had even pondered maybe leaving it open and seeing how the week goes. But then again, I am serious planner and I am not sure I could stand not having it locked in! :)

This will probably be my last trip in quite a while.
I have went the last three years and stayed at a value so this year we are springing for a moderate. I am planning on trying to get pregnant after this trip and with the supposed price increases I've been reading about I think it is fair to say I won't be back until well after Fantasyland opens.
So that is why I wanted to try Universal, kind of like the last chance to do so for quite some time and I have not been there before in the last three years I have gone.

Just worried about HP crowds since that is the main thing I want to see.
We might go for just a pass to IoA and really make sure we see everything there including HP. I wanted to get back to Disney before Illuminations that night since with my dining and being in different parts of WDW this might be our only chance to do so.
Hopefully you all think I would have plenty of time to get IoA done and still get back to Epcot by 8.

Question on Spiderman. I really want to do it but one person in my party sometimes is afraid of enclosed simulators. Is it similar to Star Tours? Obviously I know it is FAR superior, but I mean, is it where you are in an enclosed car with a screen in front?

Do lines move quickly without the express pass?

Skip

Tickets are generally considerably cheaper when purchased online in advance than at the gate.

I want to say Islands closes at 7-ish, though I might be wrong. If that's the case, getting to Epcot could be close. You might have to leave a bit before closing.

If you want any hope of getting ALL of Islands done (especially Potter), be sure you get there when the park opens, can't stress that enough.

Spider-Man is probably considered by most to be more intense than Star Tours. The vehicle setup is actually somewhat similar to Star Tours with the partially closed simulator-like vehicle, but the vehicle itself moves along a track, with jerks, spins, and simulated drops: in addition, it's all in 3D with some physical effects tossed in for good measure.

At most attractions lines will move fairly quickly without Express: at Islands, Potter may not have Express at all. Dragons'll likely move at a steady pace; Jurassic Park, Poseidon, Popeye, the Seuss rides, and Spider-Man will all move fairly quickly. Doctor Doom's Fearfall, Hulk, and Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls seem to be the trouble rides in slow or inconsistent loading (especially when Express is factored in). I would aim at hitting those rides early in the morning in addition to Potter.

Shere_Khan

Original Poster
Tickets are generally considerably cheaper when purchased online in advance than at the gate.

I want to say Islands closes at 7-ish, though I might be wrong. If that's the case, getting to Epcot could be close. You might have to leave a bit before closing.

If you want any hope of getting ALL of Islands done (especially Potter), be sure you get there when the park opens, can't stress that enough.

Spider-Man is probably considered by most to be more intense than Star Tours. The vehicle setup is actually somewhat similar to Star Tours with the partially closed simulator-like vehicle, but the vehicle itself moves along a track, with jerks, spins, and simulated drops: in addition, it's all in 3D with some physical effects tossed in for good measure.

At most attractions lines will move fairly quickly without Express: at Islands, Potter may not have Express at all. Dragons'll likely move at a steady pace; Jurassic Park, Poseidon, Popeye, the Seuss rides, and Spider-Man will all move fairly quickly. Doctor Doom's Fearfall, Hulk, and Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls seem to be the trouble rides in slow or inconsistent loading (especially when Express is factored in). I would aim at hitting those rides early in the morning in addition to Potter.

Thank you SO much for the advice.
We don't have to go to Epcot, but if IoA really does close at 7, then it wouldn't be too bad to leave at closing and go over there then.
I guess I expected I might not get everything done. If we can get into Potter and do all of that and then see what time is left for other things then I think I would be happy.
I still really need to think about this. I really wish there was more time. I am nutso about Disney so that will take most of the trip with all the plans (tours and dinners) that we have. But I really want to try Universal. I always have.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom