Unsure who to vote for regarding the Walt Disney Co. Board

fgmnt

In case you haven't noticed - the majority of radio and TV out there isn't owned by Disney :) And those broadcasters aren't going away... and they also sit on huge valuable spectrum too.
Not talking about OTA, talking about the linear cable networks.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Not talking about OTA, talking about the linear cable networks.

Those are just brands and packaging - things that are always going to be rolled up into something bigger - they don't move the needle here. They are just bundles of content to be bargined around.

It would be more interesting to focus on the idea of 'TV production' and how much Disney chooses to keep and right size... then to worry about how Disney or some future will buy/sell/trade/license the existing content.

Sir_Cliff

I'm not a fan of Iger in many ways but, good god, the people who seem to most dislike him almost make me reconsider.

Who in their right mind really wants to hand power over to people who all evidence suggests will be worse than Iger for the parks because they relish the prospect that we may "get to see Iger brought to his knees in disgrace"? It's the epitome of cutting off your nose to spite your face, particularly when you consider the worst case scenario for Iger involves retiring in less-than-ideal circumstances into a life of wealth and privilege I would wager none of the people feeling a sense of victory in his 'downfall' will ever approach in their own lives.

Last edited by a moderator:

Casper Gutman

I'm not a fan of Iger in many ways but, good god, the people who seem to most dislike him almost make me reconsider.

Who in their right mind really wants to hand power over to people who all evidence suggests will be worse than Iger for the parks because they relish the prospect that we may "get to see Iger brought to his knees in disgrace"? It's the epitome of cutting off your nose to spite your face, particularly when you consider the worst case scenario for Iger involves retiring in less-than-ideal circumstances into a life of wealth and privilege I would wager none of the people feeling a sense of victory in his 'downfall' will ever approach in their own lives.
Yup - up until a couple years ago most of my time here was spent complaining about Iger and arguing with more positive posters like Penguin. I still think Iger has been very bad for the resorts. But the sheer, disproportionate wrath directed at him, the refusal to place him in the broader corporate context, and most of all the willingness to burn Disney down to somehow harm him is shocking.

Iger is bad. The thing to do is to study him and determine exactly HOW he’s bad and WHY he’s bad. Is he uniquely bad or a symptom of a larger problem (it’s the second one)? Most importantly, we need to discuss, realistically, the very specific circumstances in which he might be replaced by someone better. Those circumstances do NOT include empowering people who are much, MUCH worse then Iger in very similar ways.

Last edited by a moderator:

WoundedDreamer

What a sad and pathetic way to live life.

But Iger's ego is paramount. He doesn't care about the money or the privilege. He cares about the love and access that being Walt Disney Co's CEO brought him. And that's what makes this so sweet. Icarus flew too close to the sun. Him facing his comeuppance is what I've been waiting a decade for. The tale has its conclusion. The barbarians are at the gates. The King, despite his best efforts, cannot stop the invaders. He has fallen from one of the most respected CEOs in history, to nothing more than a cautionary tale about hubris. The man who milked the creations of individuals far better than him will now face his due.

The bad guys don't win forever. There's nothing that makes me happier to see that. So yes, he'll go back to his yacht once this all is over. But he'll have lost glory, friends, and access.

And he wants pity? Pity for the man who backstabbed friends and allies, soaked up the limelight, and destroyed several great institutions, all while wringing every dollar out of me and my family's pockets? No, this is justice. This is the end result of the path he walked.

Quite frankly that is an idiotic position.
The alternative is Iger, someone antithetical to Walt Disney in every way, walking away a hero. It has to be done.

jpinkc

But Iger's ego is paramount. He doesn't care about the money or the privilege. He cares about the love and access that being Walt Disney Co's CEO brought him. And that's what makes this so sweet. Icarus flew too close to the sun. Him facing his comeuppance is what I've been waiting a decade for. The tale has its conclusion. The barbarians are at the gates. The King, despite his best efforts, cannot stop the invaders. He has fallen from one of the most respected CEOs in history, to nothing more than a cautionary tale about hubris. The man who milked the creations of individuals far better than him will now face his due.

The bad guys don't win forever. There's nothing that makes me happier to see that. So yes, he'll go back to his yacht once this all is over. But he'll have lost glory, friends, and access.

And he wants pity? Pity for the man who backstabbed friends and allies, soaked up the limelight, and destroyed several great institutions, all while wringing every dollar out of me and my family's pockets? No, this is justice. This is the end result of the path he walked.

The alternative is Iger, someone antithetical to Walt Disney in every way, walking away a hero. It has to be done.
Yes but they WDC, doesnt have 1 A Creative who could lead, 2 a Financial Person to co-lead with him. We need a Walt/Roy or I would take a Eisner/Wells again. I was never real sure about Eisner, but I do think he loved the WDC.

Prince-1

I’ve read what you wrote and truly considered it and still find your comment sad and pathetic.

WoundedDreamer

You need to seek help.
This hardly fits the diagnostic criteria of any mental illness. I suppose you could say I have an overly black and white and moralistic interpretation of events. But you'll have to forgive me for being a little colorful in writing style. All I'm advising anyone to do is vote for Nelson Peltz. Nothing too pathological in that, right?

peter11435

This hardly fits the diagnostic criteria of any mental illness. I suppose you could say I have an overly black and white and moralistic interpretation of events. But you'll have to forgive me for being a little colorful in writing style. All I'm advising anyone to do is vote for Nelson Peltz. Nothing too pathological in that, right?
You have a very jaded and not entirely factual interpretation of events.

And yeah… I would argue that if you care about TWDC and its history and future there IS something pathological about voting for Peltz. Especially for the reasons you are giving. Literally every thing you dislike about Iger is magnified in Peltz.

Voting in Peltz won’t hurt Iger like you think it will. But it will hurt TWDC and its future.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You have a very jaded and not entirely factual interpretation of events.

And yeah… I would argue that if you care about TWDC and its history and future there IS something pathological about voting for Peltz. Especially for the reasons you are giving. Literally every thing you dislike about Iger is magnified in Peltz.

Voting in Peltz won’t hurt Iger like you think it will. But it will hurt TWDC and its future.
That is all true

But it does nothing to address the egomaniac elephant in the room. No one can trust Iger with a straight face.

The list of reasons is long and quite damning. Because we may like SOME things about his tenure does not negate the problems or give carte Blanche to rule as he sees fit.

He’s scared though…that video is totally out of character. The game isn’t over yet.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m not sure anyone likes Peltz…let’s be honest.

But the problem is the acceptance of status quo…for what?

A new miniland with two things every 15 years? Another bad Star Wars or marvel offering made by people unqualified to handle the material?

No thanks to that too…and by supporting Iger and saying “it could be worse”…that’s exactly what you’re signing up for…it’s all ego driven…there is no hope of “course correction”. He’s the only member of his own cult of personality

peter11435

That is all true

But it does nothing to address the egomaniac elephant in the room. No one can trust Iger with a straight face.

The list of reasons is long and quite damning. Because we may like SOME things about his tenure does not negate the problems or give carte Blanche to rule as he sees fit.

He’s scared though…that video is totally out of character. The game isn’t over yet.
I’m not saying you need to like Iger or his tenure.

Bringing Peltz on the board doesn’t get rid of Iger.

You don’t have to support Iger. But you shouldn’t support someone objectively worse.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m not saying you need to like Iger or his tenure.

Bringing Peltz on the board doesn’t get rid of Iger.

You don’t have to support Iger. But you shouldn’t support someone objectively worse.
He can’t be trusted to leave…and that is unacceptable since he was given the job to CORRECT that problem - along with others.

He’s doing all the same things on a magnified scale now.

That’s the issue. His ego believes he’s the company…and he certainly is not. It will outlive him…so let’s go ahead and get to the next chapter.

peter11435

He can’t be trusted to leave…and that is unacceptable since he was given the job to CORRECT that problem - along with others.

He’s doing all the same things on a magnified scale now.

That’s the issue. His ego believes he’s the company…and he certainly is not. It will outlive him…so let’s go ahead and get to the next chapter.

Again… voting in Peltz doesn't get rid of Iger.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom