Unpopular opinions about the parks?

PiratesMansion

Mansion's my favorite ride, and I definitely lean towards the MK/TDL version of the show.

Despite the updates, I don't know that I can definitively say Orlando's is the best one. A lot of the updates WDW did are great and really enhance the experience; THAT SAID, I don't care for the way that the rush you through the pre-ride portions of the show or the "updated" hitchhiking ghosts. While it would be nice if Tokyo would incorporate some of the better updates, the beauty of Tokyo's is that the ride is presented as it originally operated in the states, and therefore doesn't present anything as egregiously bad as the WDW hitchhiking ghosts-and I also prefer the pre-Constance attic. And they don't rush you through the preshows in Tokyo-all things that, to me, are benefits.

So while WDW's theoretically should win on paper, I can also see the case for Tokyo's Mansion as the best one.

Twirlnhurl

Another unpopular opinion: The boats on The Jungle Cruise are not very good ride vehicles. They have very poor sight lines, they are a pain to load and unload, the "middle" seats on the crates suck, and they don't evel look very much like The African Queen (either the boat from the movie or the real one!)

Smugpugmug

Another unpopular opinion: The boats on The Jungle Cruise are not very good ride vehicles. They have very poor sight lines, they are a pain to load and unload, the "middle" seats on the crates suck, and they don't evel look very much like The African Queen (either the boat from the movie or the real one!)
Not to mention that the back of the boat sucks too since the engine is so loud, you can't even hear the skipper. Source: me the last time I rode Jungle Cruise. This was at WDW at least. Unsure if DL has the same problem.

Monkee Girl

Pirates should not have incorporated Depp, goes for all parks in the world. It's a multi billion dollar franchise but they haven't done anything with it since Kingdom Hearts 3.

7 dwarfs mine train is not a worthy successor to the original snow white ride. They should co exist or should have put mine train in Shanghai.

GMR was the heart and soul of Hollywood Studios, and removing it killed a lot of the park for me. Its successor just feels like the short of the stick compared to what Tokyo and even Disneyland California has with track less rides.

Toy Story Land is the worst land in WDW by far. I find it extremely disappointing that the best they could think of was putting big sized things around and call that "themeing"

Dinoland USA is a complete waste of space and just needs to be redone. It's a thematic mess compared to everything surrounding it.

The "renovation" of world of Disney and the Mousegear was a big blow. They look like warehouses compared to their creative counter parts. It's like going to a shopping mall instead of a uniquely themed store.
I started writing a 10 paragraph thesis on how bad the studios is right now...so much rage bait, haha. I just wish they'd shut the whole park down and just ...FIX IT. :(

EpcotMark

Bring Back the Jeremy Irons Spaceship Earth, with subtle updates.

Bring Back Fountain of Nations.

Knock down the American Garden Theatre Stage structures. Was better the way it was nice and open, back in the 80s.

Twirlnhurl

Knock down the American Garden Theatre Stage structures. Was better the way it was nice and open, back in the 80s.
Removing shade structures? That would be an unpopular opinion indeed!

Or do you mean the walls behind the stage? Interesting thought regardless!

CaptainJackNO

I'm not the biggest fan of HM either actually. It's a good attraction, but I think POTC is superior

I mean I think that's just most people expressing that they dislike the current direction of the parks, but being that they still go they are implicitly admitting they are still worth a visit, for them. Keep in mind most of what the parks are even today is reflective of TWDC in the 50s-2000s, not the modern Iger-Chapek era upon which people lament
I agree with most being 50s-2000s, except the new people in charge of WDW do not maintain parks or attractions as they did between the 50s and 2000s. I just got back from my last trip a few weeks ago, and the number of attractions in all 4 parks where effects and major parts of attractions were broken was shocking.

This crew is clueless and careless

tpoly88

Two Unpopular Opinions:

1. A Disney World vacation is still decent value and provides a nice one-stop shop vacation.

2. Galaxy's Edge and RotR are both overrated.

I will now duck down in my foxhole.
we dont stay over at Disney as much and our relatives dont come down much for Disney anymore as the kids have grown. what i dont like is i feel that Star wars land destroyed Hollywood studios and what it was originally about. Used to be my favorite park, now i dont go anymore. hope there is room in the foxhole for one more!

DisneyFanatic12

we dont stay over at Disney as much and our relatives dont come down much for Disney anymore as the kids have grown. what i dont like is i feel that Star wars land destroyed Hollywood studios and what it was originally about. Used to be my favorite park, now i dont go anymore. hope there is room in the foxhole for one more!
I wish something moved in Star Wars Land. If something is going to kill the heart of a theme park, it needs to fill in its shoes as the new heart of the theme park. I’m a Star Wars fan, but the land is just a concrete jungle. I can’t place my finger on it, but I think it’s the lack of movement. It doesn’t feel “fake”, persay, but rather abnaturally dead. It’s sad we didn’t get the drone ships flying overhead too, because in almost every clip from Star Wars there is a ship in the sky.

Anyways, it needs waterfalls and other moving things. The prop ships need moving components as well. The land has the base, but it needs to have life or else it feels too dead and ruins the immersion…

And don’t get me started on smugglers run. The pilot role is fun for the first 2 times or so, but the restrictions on your flight path kills the re-rideablility. Gunner needs something like a joystick to control the guns to make it actually engaging, rather than just spamming the shooting button. The engineer is somehow worse than the gunner. The only part of the ride that the engineer has an implied role, the whole ship gets the role shared. The engineer should have to turn dials and open compartments and what not. Simply pressing 10 buttons is not at all fun. Better to just not activate your chair and pretend it’s Star Tours. A system like the Pirates of the Caribbean game at Disney Quest would be SO MUCH BETTER. That game was engaging for everyone!

Last edited:

Twirlnhurl

I wish something moved in Star Wars fan... . I’m a Star Wars fan, but the land is just a concrete jungle. I can’t place my finger on it, but I think it’s the lack of movement. It doesn’t feel “fake”, persay, but rather abnaturally dead.
... The prop ships need moving components as well. The land has the base, but it needs to have life or else it feels too dead and ruins the immersion
I feel like the portion of Star Wars Galaxy's Edge that works really well is the stretch between the restrooms and Smuggler's Run. A complex, multi level space, complete with robots roasting hot dogs on a spacecraft engine! Most of that stretch is in a partially enclosed shopping street, extremely evocative of a bustling smugglers market on an alien planet.

But the retail and food component of the land are... not in that section. Instead, the retail is inside a series of buildings with no windows and closed doors. Why weren't the shops placed on each side of the shopping street? Disney made themselves a greenfield site in DL and DHS, why did they lay it out so the retail and dining were elsewhere?

I've heard that the rest of the land wouldn't feel bad if the entertainment budget wasn't cut. (Unpopular opinion ahead, to keep this thread on topic:) If your themed land requires live entertainment to succeed, the themed land is a failure.

Live entertainment in a theme park is great. There should be more of it. But Hollywood Blvd and Sunset Blvd are successful themed areas when the streetmosphere is not happening. And even before the recent entertainment cuts, streetmosphere does not run every hour the park is open.

If a themed land requires actors to be successful, that means it will be unsuccessful for large swaths of the day. In other words, it is a failure.

celluloid

Relax, it's not wrong to stay in 5 star resorts and eat the best food. It's expensive to do nice things, to each their own.

Who cares there was a run off issue with a ride vehicle. I don't like the digital ending either, but the facts you gave don't impact the ride. Most things generally work fine.

Most things generally work fine is not the state The Haunted Mansion or much of The Magic Kingdom has been in.

That's why I said not my kind of budgeting. We are amazing food and did some of the best things in the world for 22 days!

Twirlnhurl

Unpopular opinion: if the Bantha ride was built in Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, it would have either been an up-charge or it would have had such low guest satisfaction scores and high maintenance costs that it would not have reopened after covid. I am glad it wasn't built because it is a bad idea for a ride.

GimpYancIent

I wish something moved in Star Wars Land. If something is going to kill the heart of a theme park, it needs to fill in its shoes as the new heart of the theme park. I’m a Star Wars fan, but the land is just a concrete jungle. I can’t place my finger on it, but I think it’s the lack of movement. It doesn’t feel “fake”, persay, but rather abnaturally dead. It’s sad we didn’t get the drone ships flying overhead too, because in almost every clip from Star Wars there is a ship in the sky.

Anyways, it needs waterfalls and other moving things. The prop ships need moving components as well. The land has the base, but it needs to have life or else it feels too dead and ruins the immersion…

And don’t get me started on smugglers run. The pilot role is fun for the first 2 times or so, but the restrictions on your flight path kills the re-rideablility. Gunner needs something like a joystick to control the guns to make it actually engaging, rather than just spamming the shooting button. The engineer is somehow worse than the gunner. The only part of the ride that the engineer has an implied role, the whole ship gets the role shared. The engineer should have to turn dials and open compartments and what not. Simply pressing 10 buttons is not at all fun. Better to just not activate your chair and pretend it’s Star Tours. A system like the Pirates of the Caribbean game at Disney Quest would be SO MUCH BETTER. That game was engaging for everyone!
I absolutely agree with the fact the Gunner stations on the Falcon need to be interactive targeting and shooting activities. With all the video game tech available there is no reason the Gunner stations should be as limited as they are.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom