Unpopular opinion: preshows kind of suck 90% of the time

jaklgreen

I hate the pre-show for FOP. It also smells weird in there that makes me a bit sick. I can only do that ride once a visit because of the weird smell.

Paper straw fan

The Rise pre show is integral to the experience in my mind- and I’m not always huge on all of these- Mickey and Minnie too to an extent. As a whole they are fine as opposed to just standing there, I can agree that the FoP one really does nothing to me. Wiggle around? Ok whatever. If I’m on these for the first time, then it’s cool, otherwise I’m just looking for a good place to lean while we go thru it.

Chef Mickey

Soarin is pretty bad. They really need more props and visuals. Even if it's just fake terminal airport windows or trip info/flight delay marquees, baggage check area with conveyor belt. Something to break up the monotony. A bit on the nose, but even running chase lights (alluding to runway lights) along the floorboard as you get closer to the attraction would be a nice touch. (or are those there already?) And if there's room, an on theme restroom or gift shop. As for the preshow itself, I always found it humorous.
You know what...you’re exactly right. Soarin has a terrible queue...it’s basically a hallway until they show you a bad video with Joe from Family Guy.

Even that is a bit too comedy for a pre flight briefing. It is just bad and your ideas would be welcomed.

Pepper's Ghost

So is the DMV.
Come on now, @Chef Mickey. Are you really comparing waiting inside in air conditioning for Soarin' to the waiting inside in air conditioning to be treated rudely, and hopefully getting your license renewed? 😁 Think we all know it's not the same. The more apt comparison is waiting comfortably inside for Soarin', and waiting outside sweating, and exhausted for Superman at Six Flags.... no comparison.

Trackmaster

I feel like pre-shows are basically for people who go to the parks once every 10 years. They're fine the FIRST time you see them... or maybe 10-15 years later after you've forgotten everything about the ride, but when you ride again after the first time, its like you're watching a cheesy, terrible YouTube video a second time. They may help to tie the storyline in, but you don't go to the parks to watch little videos. You go to ride. Once you get what they're saying, it gets old.

My proposal would just be to loop the movies that the IP is for on those TVs. It may not really help you for the ride's storyline, but at least it distracts you from having to wait in line and isn't as irritating. Or just play the news, sports, Disney Channel, etc. Something that's not related to the ride that takes your mind somewhere else.

Djsfantasi

This is not POST covid. This is "DURING covid".
Yes some preshows are better than others.
But what ones are better or worse is each person's opinion.
I actually preferred the old TT preshow and don't really care about making a car but my friend loves the interactive aspect of it.
That's awesome, I never knew that.
On the ticket window, is a hand-written note that says, “key under mat”. And it is!

NelleBelle

I'd much rather stand in a bad queue (e.g. Soarin') than stand in an absolutely no-theme/decor queue at amusement parks like Six Flags 🙄. At least at Disney, even if I'm in a bad queue, Disney's usually put something to look at, whether it's plants/flowers, trivia, decor...not just pure metal switchbacks!! Absolutely the worst day I have ever spent at a theme park was our visit to Magic Mountain last December (long story but involved horrendously long lines, incompetence on behalf of Six Flags, and a day wasted riding one ride). Give me Disney any day!

Pepper's Ghost

Have we really run out of other reasons to tear Disney apart? I'm no Disney apologist, or fanboy because I don't excuse all bad decisions. There are plenty of decisions they've made and continue to make that leave me at least scratching my head, and at worst livid like swapping out Soarin' oCAL to SotW. With that said, pre-shows don't even register on the head-scratching list. There are SOOO many other valid reasons to rip Disney.

I'm seeing complaints about how individuals here are claiming to be bored with the pre-shows, but that's because you experienced it a first time at least, or countless times and have gotten sick of them over time. Arguing that "pre-shows are basically for people who go to the parks once every 10 years" is an argument to KEEP THEM. Not everyone is experiencing it for the umpteenth time like everyone on these boards. Many people are seeing it for a first time, or for the first time in many years. A suggestion of getting rid of the pre-shows, many of which explain the ride, causes us to raise a whole generation that in 20 years will complain that Disney rides make no sense because they never got to experience the pre-show. Sure, let's show Disney cartoons or movies while we wait in line. Now we've turned Disney into Six Flags. That's exactly what they do, so just go to Six Flags then. They've got the queue you want! 🤣🤪

If you were bringing your young child for the first time, wouldn't you want them to experience the pre-show so they get the whole story? Or should we just have Disney show it to your kids one time, and then get rid of it for everyone else because your kids have seen it now. So, if you get right back into line, now no one else gets to see it because YOU don't think you should have to see it again. Incredible how we've morphed into a "me" society at warp speed! It's evident EVERYWHERE.

Edit: for poor grammar and misspellings :)

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

And then they fail.
dr.%2Bseeker.jpg

S_0rM-.gif
It does inspire greatness...
MV5BZjQ5MDZlYTItNWExNi00MDVmLWI2ODMtZTllY2QzNjk1ZmFmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzUxODA4MzI@._V1_.jpg

4A763CB2F8DC074265ACE680D3CE7CE4F04C322D

TrainsOfDisney

The queue I hate most at WDW is Soarin'.

It’s very boring. I kinda like the queue in California, the old hanger with aviation history and artifacts.

The best pre show I have ever seen and I could listen to them all day is the Voices of Liberty at Epcot's American Adventure. God bless America! After the singers finish their set, one can come up to chat with them. Disney, please don't ever change them.

I would argue that American Adventure is the post-show for Voices of Liberty :)

I agree. Pre shows are a waste of time and offer nothing of value to the ride. I'm not sure why so many fans fawn over them.

You should tell Disney... they spent crazy money on 3 pre-shows for Rise.

NelleBelle

It’s very boring. I kinda like the queue in California, the old hanger with aviation history and artifacts.
Definitely! I like looking at the old pictures they've got in the hanger. Not sure why they couldn't have done a bit more of that at WDW? But, what I do enjoy in the queue is the MUSIC! Love the theme from the Rocketeer!

I would argue that American Adventure is the post-show for Voices of Liberty :)
We sometimes just pop in to listen to Voices of Liberty if we have other things we're trying to get done. They are AMAZING!

You should tell Disney... they spent crazy money on 3 pre-shows for Rise.
I got nothing for this...we've yet to get to this attraction as it was still under construction at DL when we visited SW:GE :arghh:

MickeyLuv'r

I feel like pre-shows are basically for people who go to the parks once every 10 years. They're fine the FIRST time you see them... or maybe 10-15 years later after you've forgotten everything about the ride, but when you ride again after the first time, its like you're watching a cheesy, terrible YouTube video a second time. They may help to tie the storyline in, but you don't go to the parks to watch little videos. You go to ride. Once you get what they're saying, it gets old.

My proposal would just be to loop the movies that the IP is for on those TVs. It may not really help you for the ride's storyline, but at least it distracts you from having to wait in line and isn't as irritating. Or just play the news, sports, Disney Channel, etc. Something that's not related to the ride that takes your mind somewhere else.

A few exceptions...I love the ones for the Minions. there are like three parts: the televisions ( though they could add some more/new jokes), the 1st indoor preshow, and the 2nd preshow. Since they took away the goggles, they changed the whole goggle part, but that part was funny no matter how many times I saw it. What made it so funny is the it made of fun of all the lame pre-shows,

GRU: "If you are unsure how to put on the goggles, ask a lab assistant, but come on, who doesn't know how to put these things on?"
[while showing a one-eyed Minion trying to put on a pair of two-eyed goggles..and crying until another Minion gives him a one eye goggle. Goggle?]

I've seen the 2nd preshow enough times to be able to recite it, but it too still brings a smile.

"B-banana?"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom