Unnecessary harsh treatment of children in public spaces at WDW

ninjaprincesst

Not enough people offer to help. Parenting is overwhelming at times, and help can be so appreciated.

Engage the kid in conversation. Suggest a game. Offer to hold some food or whatever so mom or dad has a couple hands free to talk to the kid. Give a funny comment to mom like "this is why I drink so much coffee" to help diffuse their frustration. If you happen to have purse games bring them out. Or simply ask the parent "is there any way I can help?" because sometimes just knowing someone is willing to help is enough.

This would could use more people who are helpful.
That is just going to encourage kids to act like little demon spawns because there are no real consequences for their actions. Some kids the only way you can reach them is by yelling and spanking. I would much rather see parents trying to do something about their kids bad behavior than just ignoring it. Some kids a light repremand works , some you have to go full tilt crazy on them before they stop.

EngineerMom

So I agree with the parents saying you need to discipline kids when they are doing the act especially young kids. Even my teenager immediately works better, of course now it’s stop x or you’ll be grounded, etc. Saying you should wait until you are back to your hotel is ridiculous.

Could I feel uncomfortable when near a stranger discipling their child sure.

But I have lots more tolerance for a parent disciplining their child in public than I do children miss behaving and parents doing nothing. The examples of kids climbing things they shouldn’t at Disney and the parent does nothing or tells kid to stop but they don’t and the parent does nothing.
I love when I’m on a plane and a kid is kicking the back of my seat, or putting the tray table up and down nonstop. I turn around and their is the parent ignoring their behavior!!! That bothers me!

Goofyernmost

It's interesting that most people here feel a child's temper tantrum should not be tolerated, yet we seem to condone it in the country's leaders.
We have no control over that except every 4 years (for now). We tolerate only because other then extreme violence we have no choice. But, like with many kids, any calm attempt to stifle that behavior falls on deaf ears.

Club Cooloholic

I am not surprised this happens... its a bad combination.. the family is spending a lot of money so they are trying to squeeze in too much in one day, now comes the heat and top that with kids that are totally off schedule (naps, meals and such), all this leads to a melt down down for the children followed by an exhausted frustrated parent. I always watched to see how the kids were holding up and if we had to sit under a tree while they napped so be it, and it was a good mental break for us as well..
This is why we rocked the stroller, could they walk? Sure, and the did most of the time, we would park it out of the way and walk around, then go to it and they would nap while we just walked around.

Tonto

More often than not, when visiting the parks I see a parent (or both parents) scolding their young children (including spanking, shaking, yelling, or some other unruly behaviour) while the kid is screaming at the top of his or her lungs. This type of behaviour is totally unnecessary at the happiest place on earth (DL or WDW). Granted, children CAN be a handful at times on vacation, and yes, sometimes they may deserve scolding, but I don't think the parent should be doing this in public spaces in the parks where everyone walking by can witness it. If at all, I plead with parents NOT to hit their children, but wait until they can get to a secluded area or back in the hotel and then calmly tell their children what they did wrong.

Most kids don't understand what they did wrong, so it's up to the parent to tell them, and remind them that it's not satisfactory to do whatever they did. Most times I think it's a combination of the hot weather, walking long distances, and hunger that makes a kid become unruly. We usually don't interfere because a) it's not our kid who is misbehaving and b) we don't want to be told to mind our own business by the kid's parent. Many of us don't like confrontation, but some of us can't stand the sight of someone berating their kid. The kid is only naturally curious, is a growing human being and of course he or she is going to make mistakes. I just think there is no place for this kind of thing while everyone is watching.
I agree with some of this statement. I will also say that a trip to Disney can be very trying as a parent. Not saying I condone the actions that you mentioned, but I understand.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom