Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

Magenta Panther

A Rudolph dark ride would be a no-brainer. That TV special is over 50 years old, yet brings in stellar ratings every time it's broadcast. Talk about evergreen! (heh heh Christmas pun). In fact, a whole Rudolph area, a la Seuss Landing, would be amazing and a sure favorite. It could have faux ice and snow and even snowfall. You know, the kind of thing a Frozen area in WDW could have had except that Iger/TDO were too stupid to do it. Universal could once again eat WDW's lunch. Year-round Christmas stores exist and do good business. A year-round Christmas ride would be a hit, no doubt. Do it, Universal! A Rudolph area is as sure-fire as it gets.

brb1006

A Rudolph dark ride would be a no-brainer. That TV special is over 50 years old, yet brings in stellar ratings every time it's broadcast. Talk about evergreen! (heh heh Christmas pun). In fact, a whole Rudolph area, a la Seuss Landing, would be amazing and a sure favorite. It could have faux ice and snow and even snowfall. You know, the kind of thing a Frozen area in WDW could have had except that Iger/TDO were too stupid to do it. Universal could once again eat WDW's lunch. Year-round Christmas stores exist and do good business. A year-round Christmas ride would be a hit, no doubt. Do it, Universal! A Rudolph area is as sure-fire as it gets.
I thought SeaWorld currently holds the park rights to the Rankin/Bass version of Rudolph (Outside of Busch Gardens, Dollywood, and Sesame Street for example)?

Last edited:

Rich Brownn

Me too! They could do a whole Holiday World based on Here Comes Peter Cottontail, Mad Monster Party and others.

Islands of Fear didn't last long because it just cannibalized business from HHN at USF. Doubt any new park will host the event.
Actually the designers said it was too difficult to "theme" IOA for HHN. Since it was already so specifically themed it was hard to "de-theme" it so it went back to USF

Rich Brownn

I really do NOT want a Dreamworks land. Dreamworks is SO generic and mediocre and a bunch of theme parks use their IP's already and yes I'm aware that How To Train Your Dragon is actually good.
Since Universal now owns DreamWorks its a given those IPs will be in the new park

BubbaQuest

I thought SeaWorld currently holds the park rights to the Rankin/Bass version of Rudolph?

Definitely a good question. Not sure how the licensing deal was originally set up with Seaworld and Dreamworks Animation. It might have provided them an exclusive theme park license for a period time before Comcast bought out Dreamwork Animations.

I forgot Dreamworks Animations also includes Casper the Friendly Ghost. Not sure if Casper is still relevant in the 21st century, but could be another fun one to include in the "spooky" land!

brb1006

Definitely a good question. Not sure how the licensing deal was originally set up with Seaworld and Dreamworks Animation. It might have provided them an exclusive theme park license for a period time before Comcast bought out Dreamwork Animations.

I forgot Dreamworks Animations also includes Casper the Friendly Ghost. Not sure if Casper is still relevant in the 21st century, but could be another fun one to include in the "spooky" land!
Funnily enough Casper was one of the characters that was going to be featured at Toon Lagoon in during early development of Island of Adventures along with Mr. Magoo. Both are now owned by Universal. In fact the studios park was actually planning on creating a ride based on the 1995 Live-Action film but got scrapped when it failed their expectations.

Last edited:

JT3000

Islands of Fear didn't last long because it just cannibalized business from HHN at USF. Doubt any new park will host the event.

HHN was moved, they didn't run two separate events, so there was nothing to cannibalize. In fact, HHN's rise in (over)popularity began while it was at IOA.

I could actually see them wanting to try out the new park as an experiment. The main deterrent would be a potential lack of venues for the houses. IOA was close enough that it could still utilize USF's soundstages. A new park wouldn't have that option, nor do I see them building enough accommodating structures that would be available for such a use.

Actually the designers said it was too difficult to "theme" IOA for HHN. Since it was already so specifically themed it was hard to "de-theme" it so it went back to USF

I think it had more to do with USF's ability to better handle the increased crowd levels, which have only gotten worse since. Modern HHN at IOA would be a complete madhouse. Thematically, some areas of IOA were awkward, while others actually lended themselves to the event much better than USF's city backdrops. They would have ran out of appropriate themes for those areas eventually, but it would have taken much longer, and HHN tends to repeat itself in cyclical fashion anyway. Regardless of the reason, I doubt we'll ever see the event return to IOA.

SirLink

I have heard from a financial person shall we shay that they may be basing a new ride on a new video game IP outside of the Nintendo deal.

Lintemuthstudios

I have heard from a financial person shall we shay that they may be basing a new ride on a new video game IP outside of the Nintendo deal.

If this is true, it's probably Pac-Man. There was a ride patent filed that seemed to be based off the IP. It also could be Pokemon, depending on what was in the Nintendo deal.

Rich Brownn

HHN was moved, they didn't run two separate events, so there was nothing to cannibalize. In fact, HHN's rise in (over)popularity began while it was at IOA.

I could actually see them wanting to try out the new park as an experiment. The main deterrent would be a potential lack of venues for the houses. IOA was close enough that it could still utilize USF's soundstages. A new park wouldn't have that option, nor do I see them building enough accommodating structures that would be available for such a use.

I think it had more to do with USF's ability to better handle the increased crowd levels, which have only gotten worse since. Modern HHN at IOA would be a complete madhouse. Thematically, some areas of IOA were awkward, while others actually lended themselves to the event much better than USF's city backdrops. They would have ran out of appropriate themes for those areas eventually, but it would have taken much longer, and HHN tends to repeat itself in cyclical fashion anyway. Regardless of the reason, I doubt we'll ever see the event return to IOA.
I did the behind the scenes tour of HHN and we were told the definitive reason was the difficulty of changing the theme, coupled with the inability to do anything with Suess Landing.

DisneyDodo

That sounds unlikely to me. I don't think Nintendo would sign a deal that allows Universal to showcase Nintendo's competitors in the same park.

SirLink

That sounds unlikely to me. I don't think Nintendo would sign a deal that allows Universal to showcase Nintendo's competitors in the same park.

Why would any movie studio sign theme park rights to any major theme park operation when it showcases its competitors in the same park or same resort?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom