Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

Timothy_Q

I think everyone is missing the point. It's not about what rides or the quality of rides they're adding (although that's obviously important), it's about competing on the same level. Right now WDW is the Walmart of theme parks. They're by far the biggest, they offer far more and all at the lowest price.
Disney is the lowest price?

s8film40

Disney is the lowest price?
Yes. If a guest assumes one day per park. Disney is as low $85 per day, Universal is $108 per day, Seaworld is $100 per day. Additionally if a guest is spending four days at WDW adding a fifth day to return to the Disney parks can be as low as $15. So this puts the guest in a situation where they have to decide to add on another park for $100+ per person or just add another Disney day for $15 per person. It's hard for other parks to compete with that price. This is the position Universal is trying to get into.

OG Runner

Yes. If a guest assumes one day per park. Disney is as low $85 per day, Universal is $108 per day, Seaworld is $100 per day. Additionally if a guest is spending four days at WDW adding a fifth day to return to the Disney parks can be as low as $15. So this puts the guest in a situation where they have to decide to add on another park for $100+ per person or just add another Disney day for $15 per person. It's hard for other parks to compete with that price. This is the position Universal is trying to get into.

You realize it also works the other way around. If you are staying at Universal and decide to spend a day at the Disney parks, say
using a Park Hopper Pass, (personal experience), it can cost you over $160.00 per person, for the day.

Timothy_Q

Most expensive Annual Pass
WDW: $1000
UNI: $510
SeaW: 215

Cheapest Annual Pass
WDW: $900
UNI: 270
SeaW: $130

Tom Morrow

Not sure where you guys are getting your numbers.

A one day, one park WDW ticket starts at $109. The most expensive WDW AP is $850. The cheapest is $320. For non-Florida residents, the cheapest AP is $750.

A one day, one park UNI ticket starts at $114. The cheapest annual pass is $305 (the "seasonal" pass) with the cheapest annual pass at $355. The most expensive pass is $560.

A one day SeaWorld Orlando ticket is $80. The cheapest annual pass is $131 and the most expensive is $360

OG Runner

Not sure where you guys are getting your numbers.

A one day, one park WDW ticket starts at $109. The most expensive WDW AP is $850. The cheapest is $320. For non-Florida residents, the cheapest AP is $750.

A one day, one park UNI ticket starts at $114. The cheapest annual pass is $305 (the "seasonal" pass) with the cheapest annual pass at $355. The most expensive pass is $560.

A one day SeaWorld Orlando ticket is $80. The cheapest annual pass is $131 and the most expensive is $360

I purchased a one-day park hopper pass ticket in May of 2018. Went to breakfast at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, then
went to Animal Kingdom for half day, I then took a bus to Epcot for the afternoon. Unless you are stating the Disney
overcharged me. My figures are accurate.

s8film40

You realize it also works the other way around. If you are staying at Universal and decide to spend a day at the Disney parks, say
using a Park Hopper Pass, (personal experience), it can cost you over $160.00 per person, for the day.
Absolutely, but that's the whole point. In general most people assume they will need roughly one day per park. So the majority of people planning a trip to the Orlando area are looking to go to WDW which at 4 days is a better value. If Universal can transition to the primary destination with more days for a decent chunk of the tourists then they can offer that value and guests either choose to split their time more evenly or choose one or the other as the "add-on". There are always going to be exceptions to this, but it could eventually put Universal and Disney on more equal footing and to me that's obviously what they're trying to do by adding more parks.
Most expensive Annual Pass
WDW: $1000
UNI: $510
SeaW: 215

Cheapest Annual Pass
WDW: $900
UNI: 270
SeaW: $130
AP's are very different since they mostly target the locals as opposed to people who have a finite time to visit the area attractions. Either way though here's how your numbers work out:

WDW: $1000 - $250 per park
UNI: $510 - $255 per park
SeaW: 215 - $215 per park

Cheapest Annual Pass
WDW: $900 - $225 per park
UNI: 270 - $135 per park
SeaW: $130 - $135 per park

Sea World obviously comes out ahead and it's no surprise since they've been targeting locals more since they've pretty much lost the battle with Disney And Universal over the tourism market. Universal still has the most expensive annual pass, but the prices are mostly the same with Universal offering broader range as they're still trying to capture the local market. Disney obviously doesn't care as much about the local market since they're in it for the big vacation dollars. So these numbers as well seem to highlight where these parks are and what Universal is trying to do here.

Tom Morrow

I purchased a one-day park hopper pass ticket in May of 2018. Went to breakfast at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, then
went to Animal Kingdom for half day, I then took a bus to Epcot for the afternoon. Unless you are stating the Disney
overcharged me. My figures are accurate.
I wasn't commenting on your $160 figure.

Absolutely, but that's the whole point. In general most people assume they will need roughly one day per park. So the majority of people planning a trip to the Orlando area are looking to go to WDW which at 4 days is a better value. If Universal can transition to the primary destination with more days for a decent chunk of the tourists then they can offer that value and guests either choose to split their time more evenly or choose one or the other as the "add-on". There are always going to be exceptions to this, but it could eventually put Universal and Disney on more equal footing and to me that's obviously what they're trying to do by adding more parks.

AP's are very different since they mostly target the locals as opposed to people who have a finite time to visit the area attractions. Either way though here's how your numbers work out:

WDW: $1000 - $250 per park
UNI: $510 - $255 per park
SeaW: 215 - $215 per park

Cheapest Annual Pass
WDW: $900 - $225 per park
UNI: 270 - $135 per park
SeaW: $130 - $135 per park

Sea World obviously comes out ahead and it's no surprise since they've been targeting locals more since they've pretty much lost the battle with Disney And Universal over the tourism market. Universal still has the most expensive annual pass, but the prices are mostly the same with Universal offering broader range as they're still trying to capture the local market. Disney obviously doesn't care as much about the local market since they're in it for the big vacation dollars. So these numbers as well seem to highlight where these parks are and what Universal is trying to do here.
Your numbers are way off dude, please check the official websites.

s8film40

Your numbers are way off dude, please check the official websites.
Those weren't my numbers. Here's what I found though:

WDW Platinum Pass: $849 - $212.25 per park
WDW Weekday Select: $319 - $79.75 per park

Universa 2 Park Premier: $559.99 - $279.99 per park
Universal 2 Park Seasonal: $304.99 - $152.50 per park

SeaWorld Gold: $215.88 - $215.88 per park
SeaWorld Bronze: $131.88 - $131.88 per park

So yeah that puts Universal as the most expensive followed by SeaWord and WDW the cheapest.

Timothy_Q

Crosspost from IU forums on what I think this park will be like. Interested to hear this forums predictions compared to the other.

Nintendo:
  1. Mario Kart E-Ticket
  2. Yoshi Omnimover
  3. Donkey Kong Mine-Cart Coaster (same as the old concept, but with added capacity and stability)
  4. Legend of Zelda E-Ticket water-ride
  5. Legend of Zelda puzzle-theater
  6. Play areas dedicated to Mario, Donkey Kong, and Zelda
  7. Bowser Jr mini-attraction
DreamWorks:
  1. HTTYD family thrill-coaster (launched flyer)
  2. Shrek E-Ticket (trackless, similar to RoTR but less thrilling)
  3. Trolls D-Ticket boat ride
  4. Kung Fu Panda E-Ticket and land from Beijing
  5. Two flat rides
  6. HTTYD show
  7. Parade featuring all IP's
  8. Play areas for Shrek, KFP, Croods
Fantastic Beasts:
  1. Ministry of Magic E-Ticket
  2. Newt's Briefcase family E-Ticket
  3. Interactive wand displays
  4. Street entertainment
Monsters:
  1. E-Ticket Drop-Tower dark-ride hybrid
  2. Year-round HHN haunted house from Hollywood
Various:
  1. WaterWorld show
Getting back on topic

This is a great list.

I think it might skew too much towards the cartoony side tho, with so much DW and Nintendo.
Even tho I would love this park, I imagine Universal might want more variety?

What are other live action properties that are rumored for this?

TwilightZone

Crosspost from IU forums on what I think this park will be like. Interested to hear this forums predictions compared to the other.

Nintendo:
  1. Mario Kart E-Ticket
  2. Yoshi Omnimover
  3. Donkey Kong Mine-Cart Coaster (same as the old concept, but with added capacity and stability)
DreamWorks:
  5. Two flat rides
  6. HTTYD show
Fantastic Beasts:
  4. Street entertainment
Monsters:
Various:
  1. WaterWorld show
We already got nintendo world confirmed from the Japan construction, and I don't think it will get too much bigger for Florida, other than the nintendo IPs going into other parks.

lebeau

Monsters:

The World that intrigues me the most is the one the Universal monsters will end up in. If it were up to me, it would be a Spooky World featuring not just the monsters but also Beetlejuice, Scooby Doo and heck why not throw the Ghostbusters in there.

What I really want is Universal's answer to the Haunted Mansion. I could imagine a trip through the Deetz's house complete with after-life and model town. Or a Scooby Doo haunted house. Or Dracula's castle featuring all the classic monsters. Basically I want a family-friendly dark ride with a creepy tone similar to the Mansion and of equal scope.

If the Ghostbusters show up, I could see doing something Toy Story Mania-ish. But of all the different properties that could end up here, that's the one I am least interested in.

The possibilities for Scooby are just limitless. If Universal is looking for a kids' area, Scooby Dooby Doo it up.

If Beetlejuice doesn't get a ride of his own, I hear he has experience with stage shows.

I wouldn't mind a Tower of Terror ripoff if it was done with an equal level of showmanship. If it's just Dr. Doom all over again, no thanks.

Nintendo? DreamWorks? Fantastic Beasts? That stuff's all okay I guess but I want the monsters!

Last edited:

ThemeParkTraveller

I think it might skew too much towards the cartoony side tho, with so much DW and Nintendo.
Even tho I would love this park, I imagine Universal might want more variety?

What are other live action properties that are rumored for this?

Jurassic World was also being discussed previously, which is not surprising as it is Universal's highest grossing film. I think the main concern is there being too much overlap with Jurassic Park at IOA. But a proper Jurassic World area would still be a spectacular addition to Orlando if concept art from Beijing is any indication.

smx1vpwt28l11.jpg

BubbaQuest

Nintendo:
  1. Mario Kart E-Ticket
  2. Yoshi Omnimover
DreamWorks:
  5. Two flat rides
  6. HTTYD show
Fantastic Beasts:
  4. Street entertainment
Monsters:
Various:
  1. WaterWorld show

I'm kinda bummed there is nothing about a possible Rankin/Bass attraction (Santa Claus is Coming To Town, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, etc). I realize these are considered seasonal, but I'd go on the Rudolph and Frosty attraction anytime of year :)

The "DreamWorks" land seems kind of limiting. I really like the idea of a Scooby Doo attraction, and where does Illumination (Despicable Me) stuff go? Definitely seems better to have a "spooky" area that could incorporate classic, modern, and animated monsters in one area -- fingers crossed for TrollHunters!

And with a full-time haunted house, does HHN expand to three parks? Or maybe the third park has a dedicated HHN area/event so the other two parks don't have to close early during Halloween?

Animaniac93-98

I'm kinda bummed there is nothing about a possible Rankin/Bass attraction (Santa Claus is Coming To Town, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, etc). I realize these are considered seasonal, but I'd go on the Rudolph and Frosty attraction anytime of year :)

Me too! They could do a whole Holiday World based on Here Comes Peter Cottontail, Mad Monster Party and others.

And with a full-time haunted house, does HHN expand to three parks? Or maybe the third park has a dedicated HHN area/event so the other two parks don't have to close early during Halloween?

Islands of Fear didn't last long because it just cannibalized business from HHN at USF. Doubt any new park will host the event.

Animaniac93-98

The World that intrigues me the most is the one the Universal monsters will end up in. If it were up to me, it would be a Spooky World featuring not just the monsters but also Beetlejuice, Scooby Doo and heck why not throw the Ghostbusters in there.

What I really want is Universal's answer to the Haunted Mansion. I could imagine a trip through the Deetz's house complete with after-life and model town. Or a Scooby Doo haunted house. Or Dracula's castle featuring all the classic monsters. Basically I want a family-friendly dark ride with a creepy tone similar to the Mansion and of equal scope.

If the Ghostbusters show up, I could see doing something Toy Story Mania-ish. But of all the different properties that could end up here, that's the one I am least interested in.

The possibilities for Scooby are just limitless. If Universal is looking for a kids' area, Scooby Dooby Doo it up.

If Beetlejuice doesn't get a ride of his own, I hear he has experience with stage shows.

I wouldn't mind a Tower of Terror ripoff if it was done with an equal level of showmanship. If it's just Dr. Doom all over again, no thanks.

Nintendo? DreamWorks? Fantastic Beasts? That stuff's all okay I guess but I want the monsters!

I agree with every line in this post. If "Spooky World" were its own gate, it would be my favourite park in Orlando.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom