Universal vs. Disney

Bairstow

Remember, the competition in Orlando will be more fierce because both resorts want to be the only destination for vacationers. In California (with only two Disney parks and one of each of the others), they're almost codependent to bring people in to California for a full week.

Aren't both of these parks more after the local California day trippers?

JT3000

They're technically competing, since they're the same type of business in the same location, but none of the California parks are all that concerned with reeling in vacationers, at least compared to Florida. They operate largely as regional parks, even the world famous one. So most of the competition is which park will get a local's money on any given day, and many of them aren't even paying admittance, being annual passholders.

Remember, the competition in Orlando will be more fierce because both resorts want to be the only destination for vacationers.

While they've been positioning themselves much more aggressively recently, I don't think there's any actual delusions of grandeur at Universal. They know they won't be most people's main destination, they just want a larger market share and more days on everyone's ticket/hotel stay. I suspect Universal would actually be pretty open to working with Disney if it weren't for their strategy of treating WDW like something out of The Truman Show, not wanting tourists to know there's anything outside its boundaries.

By contrast, the California parks are probably more inclined to work together because a very large portion of visitors to the LA area aren't even there for theme parks. While I find the area to be highly overrated, there are certainly other sights to see, so they will take what they can get.

Last edited:

brb1006

For those that visited Toon Lagoon in the past. Was there ever any merchandise featuring Heathcliff and Sonja? Because I remember noticing Heathcliff on one of the buildings when you at the area.

Jimmy Thick

Booked a two week Disney vacation and four night Universal vacation the same day last month.

So far I've gotten three things in the mail from Disney hyping my upcoming vacation.

Only thing I have gotten from Universal is a confirmation e-mail stating I need to print out my information.

Advantage Disney.

I will admit, Universal's call center workers completely blow away Disney's. Very impressive.

Jimmy Thick- Mmmmmm...Lard Lad donuts.....

erwinalber4

I finally made it out to Universal last weekend for the first time in 5 to 6 years. I just gotta say wow! It was amazing the new attractions since my last visit completely blew me away especially the Gringgotts coaster. The only bad thing is the realization that I actually had a better time than I've had at WDW in a long time. It hurts me to say this because Disney is my favorite place in the world. I'm a passholder and have been for years. With that said, I'm definitely going to be spending a lot more time at Universal especially with Hulk reopening and Kong on the way.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
We just went down for the Marathon weekend. We did Uni/IOA for 3 days and never set foot in a Disney Park, except for when my husband was running through them. My kids and I did set foot in the Epcot parking lot to watch the finish of the marathon though. I felt a small twinge at seeing Spaceship Earth and not going it to eat my way around the world. But we had a great trip and thoroughly enjoyed Uni/IOA. So did the kids. My kids faces when we went into Diagon Alley for the first time were priceless. And my son got to do some Raptor training. Even though he has never seen a Jurassic Park movie he was still in awe of dinosaurs!

My husband did say one thing on our trip that could have come straight from a Disney board. My daughter was nervous heading on any of the indoor rides (she always scared they will go upside down) and after we had been on most of them my husband said. "Haven't you figured out all these rides are the same yet? Get in a car drive to screen, watch, drive to screen, watch."

Jimmy Thick

Very curious.

I just got a free room upgrade to a suite with an email from the VP of Loews hotels. This looks like the kind of email someone who would have had a bad experience would get, why I got it is puzzling but a free suite upgrade? Heck yeah!!!

I have had several upgrades in the past from Disney but since I just got one from Universal...

We will call this one a draw.

Jimmy Thick- Pleasently surprised.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom