Universal Vs. Disney

moink

Original Poster
Okay, lately there has been a lot of issues concerning Disney and Universals popularity. We all have our own opinions and my personal opinion is that Universal although is not a bad park is not even close (and never will be...) to what Disney has to offer. Others may disagree with me and thats okay... Like I said everyone has their own opinion. Now that said...

2004: Nation Wide theme park Attendance.
1. The Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, Fla., 15.2 million, up 8%.

2. Disneyland, Anaheim, Calif., 13.4 million, up 5%.
3. Epcot at Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, Fla., 9.4 million, up 9%.

4. Disney-MGM Studios at Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, Fla., 8.3 million, up 5%.

5. Disney's Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, Fla., 7.8 million, up 7%.

6. Universal Studios at Universal Orlando, 6.7 million, up 14%.

7. Islands of Adventure at Universal Orlando, 6.3 million, up 13%.

8. Disney's California Adventures, Anaheim, Calif., 5.6 million, up 6%.

9. SeaWorld Florida, Orlando, Fla., 5.6 million, up %.

10. Universal Studios Hollywood, Universal City, Calif., 5 million, up 8%

According to Amusement Business Magazine.

I guess we'll just let that speak for itself then.

AndyMagic

Considering Universal has been in Orlando for 1/3 the time Disney has, their attendance is pretty amazing. Also, notice the percentage increases.

moink

Original Poster
AndyMagic said:
Considering Universal has been in Orlando for 1/3 the time Disney has, their attendance is pretty amazing. Also, notice the percentage increases.

the only reason they came to florida is because they saw how well disney did. And still there is no excuse... why are you even on a Disney message board.. you obviously like Universal better. Just go away your getting everybody ed, especially me...

so do you think that universal will one day beat Disney's attendance?

basas

Jeesh...it doesn't always have to be 'one or the other' like many of you are trying to make it out to be. I prefer the Disney parks but also really enjoy my time at the Universal Parks (and go there quite often). Just because someone might like the Universal (or Disney) parks better doesn't mean they don't like the other one.

Indy95

Please. Somebody close this thread. For the love of God. Don't let this start again...it's bad enough at that Comparison Chart thread.

moink

Original Poster
basas said:
Jeesh...it doesn't always have to be 'one or the other' like many of you are trying to make it out to be. I prefer the Disney parks but also really enjoy my time at the Universal Parks (and go there quite often). Just because someone might like the Universal (or Disney) parks better doesn't mean they don't like the other one.

who said ANYTHING about liking one or the other??? I was saying that everyone has their own opinion. The reason I was getting angry was because I read 3 threads and every single one that he was in he was commenting on how Universal was better and seemed to some other readers (i saw from their comments to him) that he was ing them off. He was shoving ideas down everyones throats. Hey I have been to universal as well and it is not bad... I just like Disney better, a whole lot better.

I think using attendance as an indicator of quality does not make sense. If that's the case, then the Mall of America is "better" than Disney because more people go there. And "Titanic" is the "best" movie of all time. And "American Idol" is the "best" show on television. And Tickle Me Elmo was the "best" toy made in 1997.

Some people prefer Disney. Some prefer Universal. Some enjoy both. Why can't we leave it at that and move on?

imagineer boy

Guys, this thread is up there with Gay days, religious issues, and political threads most likely to turn into an arguements. Please close this thread.

Lynx04

moink said:
Others may disagree with me and thats okay... Like I said everyone has their own opinion.

Of course because the question of which one is better is all a personal opinion.

But there is some fact that is not opinion.

I posted this in the other thread:

The reality, Universal will never be able to compete with Disney with attendence. Walt's smart genious to buy as much land as he could paid off. Even USF teaming up with SW and BG will never be able to compete with Disney's attendence, but doesn't mean they can not build great attractions that are on par or better then what Disney has. Disney's attraction are not good because it is Disney, they are good because of the imagineers that work there. And those imagineer can go and work for any other company and create the same attractions that they can create at Disney. Just because they are at Disney doesn't mean tht they magical abilities that they wouldn't have anywhere else. Universal and Disney have the same theme park mentality. Build attractions from a story, and not build a story from an attraction.

This is fact, WDW is too large for Universal to ever win a attendence war, but Universal is not trying to win an attendence war, they are just trying to get a piece of the pie. <!-- / message -->

CTXRover

AndyMagic said:

I hate these threads that create "arguments" between Disney and Universal. There are people on both sides of the aisle that feel passionate that "their" resort destination is better. Threads like this only create unnecessary bickering.

Anyway, as for attendance at UO. I've mentioned this before somewhere, but I'll mention it again. Using the "percent increases" for UO for 2004 as an indication of growth are sort of useless . Why? Because I consider them artificially inflated. The reason is because of a recalculation of 2003's attendance for both Universal parks after a rehaul of Amusement Business Magazines "guesstimate" methods. For the 14% and 13% increases in 2004 to hold up, it would have meant USF saw only 5.9 million visitors in 2003, by far its lowest in its entire history, and IOA only saw 5.6 million. (These re-done estimates were down from earlier estimates of 6.9 for USF and 6.1 for IOA released by AB originally). I just don't believe USF only saw 5.9 million in 2003. There is no doubt in my mind that USF and IOA saw increases last year, just doubt very much it was 14%...probably closer to the 5-8% average seen in Orlando.

As for UO's growth. Remember that USF used to attract nearly at or above 9 million in the late 90's. Although there are a number of factors at play (economy, IOA and AK additions, etc), USF is only attracting 6.7 million now.

Lynx04

CTXRover said:
I hate these threads that create "arguments" between Disney and Universal. There are people on both sides of the aisle that feel passionate that "their" resort destination is better. Threads like this only create unnecessary bickering.

Anyway, as for attendance at UO. I've mentioned this before somewhere, but I'll mention it again. Using the "percent increases" for UO for 2004 as an indication of growth are sort of useless . Why? Because I consider them artificially inflated. The reason is because of a recalculation of 2003's attendance for both Universal parks after a rehaul of Amusement Business Magazines "guesstimate" methods. For the 14% and 13% increases in 2004 to hold up, it would have meant USF saw only 5.9 million visitors in 2003, by far its lowest in its entire history, and IOA only saw 5.6 million. (These re-done estimates were down from earlier estimates of 6.9 for USF and 6.1 for IOA released by AB originally). I just don't believe USF only saw 5.9 million in 2003. There is no doubt in my mind that USF and IOA saw increases last year, just doubt very much it was 14%...probably closer to the 5-8% average seen in Orlando.

As for UO's growth. Remember that USF used to attract nearly at or above 9 million in the late 90's. Although there are a number of factors at play (economy, IOA and AK additions, etc), USF is only attracting 6.7 million now.

Don't forget Disney's attendence are estimates. I am not sure if Universal's are, but one thing is curtain, MK is the mosted visited park, even if estimated.

CTXRover

Lynx04 said:
Don't forget Disney's attendence are estimates. I am not sure if Universal's are, but one thing is curtain, MK is the mosted visited park, even if estimated.

Yes, all figures are the best estimate from Amusement Business Magazine. Therefore, they could all be wrong. The parks themselves never officially release their numbers. Although when questioned, both resorts have indicated that the are in the estimates are in the ballpark of the actual figures.

beauty_Belle27

imagineer boy said:
Guys, this thread is up there with Gay days, religious issues, and political threads most likely to turn into an arguements. Please close this thread.
Gay days?:hurl: sick.Please close this!you will make everyone turn against each other,and I love these people.lol :lol: I think most people on this DISNEY board will prefer disney.like me.I dunno

Brooke

I wish Disney and Universal fans could live in peace! I personally LOVE both parks and think that they are both great in their own unique ways. Just because Disney parks get more attendance doesn't make them better than Universal!

Legacy

beauty_Belle27 said:
Gay days?:hurl: sick.Please close this!you will make everyone turn against each other,and I love these people.lol :lol: I think most people on this DISNEY board will prefer disney.like me.I dunno
I prefer Universal. I enjoy Disney a great deal, but Universal is my fav.

And what's wrong with mentioning Gay Days as a taboo topic. It's an event, and it's also something that we don't discuss. But that doesn't mean that we don't acknowledge it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom