Universal vs. Disney

CaptainMichael

Thats all interesting and I never said those parks don't do a good job of themeing but it's like comparing spam to a good sirloin, there is a big difference.

Disney parks have so much more depth. Except TL at the Magic Kingdom which has pretty much had it's story layers sand blasted right off. But there are "signs" that is finally turning around.

Have you ever considered being a comedian as a career choice? You're a natural.

:p

:wave:

fosse76

For many people, including myself, getting everything "done" at a Disney park does not mean just riding the rides and seeing the bigger shows. That works at Uni or SF but to really enjoy and take in a WDW park takes days at a minimum each.

So what you are saying is that if I don't know the story behind the Jungle Cruise then I am not enjoying myself? Ridiculous. A park guest does not need to know the back story behind the window glazing at the haunted mansion to fully experience the parks. Most people could care less what the names in the Main Street windows mean. Is it interesting information? Definitely. Is it essential to enjoying or fully experiencing the park? Absolutely not.

For example, there is a web site dedicated to DHS that prints volumes of material every year about all the details and stories behind what makes up the park. You can't possibly get that in a few hours.

Nor in the parks, since most information about that kind of material is alot of behind the scenes background information. I don't need to know how a movie was made to enjoy it.

At other theme parks you can absorb it all in a few hours. Not Disney theme parks.

In your opinion. I don't need to know the story behind Space Mountain to enjoy it. Much of what everyone talks about is background information that isn't apparent while visiting the park unless you take a guided tour. If you need to read an encyclopedia of what it took to build the attraction and the history behind it to enjoy it then I feel sorry for you. Yes, a lot of the information is interesting, but lack of it in no way makes a trip to Disney less enjoyable or unfufilled.

disney4life2008

During my recent trip, I went to Universal Studios and let me tell you- it was HORRIFIC!!! I used to like Universal Studios (during the 90s) when King Kong and other original attractions was there. However, now that park does nothing for me. The whole Universal Orlando concept seems so out of wack. The fact that it takes so long to get to Universal Orlando from parking is horrible - but dealable. I do not like having to walk through City Walk to get to the Studios - both coming and going.

As for Universal Studios, the only attraction that I liked was Simpsons. Its definately one of the better attractions to come to the Universal Orlando (and maybe Disney) in recent years. Otherwise, it is too many locals and FOREIGN TOURIST. The day I went, every line I stood in, everyone was non American. Nothing wrong with that though, it was just a lot of tour groups.

The upkeep of Universal does not compare to Disney. I know there are seagullas at Disney, but the pier area at Universal was just downright disgusting because of the birds. When you come from Disney to Universal, you definantly feel the difference.

The bottom line: For me, Universal is nothing more than Six Flags (but on a larger more expensive scale). There is NO COMPARISON between Disney and Universal.

teebin

The fact that it takes so long to get to Universal Orlando from parking is horrible - but dealable. I do not like having to walk through City Walk to get to the Studios - both coming and going.

As for Universal Studios, the only attraction that I liked was Simpsons.

Otherwise, it is too many locals and FOREIGN TOURIST. The day I went, every line I stood in, everyone was non American.

I know there are seagullas at Disney, but the pier area at Universal was just downright disgusting because of the birds. When you come from Disney to Universal, you definantly feel the difference.

The bottom line: For me, Universal is nothing more than Six Flags

You are a Disney Groupie Mess. "Disney Disney Disney... it is the world! It is my life! It is the best and if anyone tries to say differently I will SCREAM and say nasty things!" (please repeat with a slight, very slight lisp) it just sounds funnier.

At least that is what I read from your comments above.

The UOR parking garages are a GREEN use of land. Plus, they keep my car cool in the summer. Disney plows down 60 percent more acres to build their massive tarscapes lots.

I enjoy CW. It is sparkly and pretty and upbeat and a very good business model.

I love most of the foreign tourists... they are fascinating and interesting both to look at and to talk with. It's my fellow Americans that most leave me gagging and annoyed.

Seagulls? Have you ever dined at Flame Tree Barbecue with all the snowy ibis in the trees. It is a real problem for ak. Half the tables are chairs-on-top at certain times of the year; there is so much ________ falling from the trees. Still I enjoy FTB but dodge the danger trees. :zipit:

Finally: 'Simpsons is great and Uni is Six Flags'. The idea that the simpsons is great, let alone competes with anything at any park is kooky. Six Flags... UOR is so like a six flags... yep... yeah, right. Such an intelligent conclusion.

I am ashamed that I even chose to argue this peep. I must be slipping. :eek:

JROK

During my recent trip, I went to Universal Studios and let me tell you- it was HORRIFIC!!! The fact that it takes so long to get to Universal Orlando from parking is horrible.

Have you ever been to Magic Kingdom? Where you park in a parking lot, then walk 200+ yards to wait for a tram. Then board the tram that takes you on a 5min ride to TTC, where you exit, walk another 300 yards to wait for a monorail/ferry, then board the monorail/ferry and take a 5min trip to the main gate where you get to wait through security to get to wait in another line at the turnstile before you can finally gain access into the park. It takes about 25-35min from the time you park before you're in the park. Then coming back you have to wait for multiple monorails to go by before you get to take that 5min trip back to TTC to wait for multiple trams to go by before you take another 5min trip to your car.

That versus the 15min walk/people mover from a garage to one of two main entrances at Universal?

Not to mention if I want to parkhop to another Disney park during the same day, it'll take AT MINIMUM 30min to get there, where as at Universal it's a 5min walk next door.

Mike 08

I did all four parks in two days flat...and struggled to convince myself back into the parks for my remaining three days because I had already done everything. On the same token...I managed to get two FULL days at both Animal Kingdom and DHS, and had a more enjoyable time because I realized I had rushed the earlier visits (though at the time I didn't realize I was rushing). However, those full day visits included multiple re-rides on attractions that day...and I took my time viewing the animals (at DAK) and walking at a slower speed, browsing shops, snacking more, etc. Not that I didn't enjoy myself the first time. But to claim that you need six or seven days is laughable. If you time the shows right, you could do DAK and DHS in the same day...and then head over to Epcot at night and do the World Showcase. If you get to the MK when it opens, you can be done with that around 3pm at the latest and head over to Epcot and Future World. That's two days right there. But like all things, it depends on crowd levels, but if you make judicious use of the FP System, even on a busy day it can still be done. If you go to Epcot in the evenings, the only attraction with any significant wait is Soarin'. And this is AFTER many of the Future World attractions have closed. I've NEVER been to Epcot in the mornings. I always get more done in the evening. If I get there around 5pm or 6pm, I find that I can do everything by 9pm.

But even if you didn't do it that way, at most you only need one day at each park. If you get to the Animal Kingdom as it opens, you'll be done by noon...and if you chose to head over to DHS or Epcot you could probably get everything done that same day as well. So I would say the maximum number of days needed is four, with the minimum being two.

you said you can get to MK early in the morning and finish by 3 pm the latest. and you call my comments laughable? are you sprinting through the park on a school day and skipping every meal? i dont know. i could spend three hours in tommorowland alone. the line for buzz could be forty five minutes and the line for the speedway is forty five minutes. thats an hour and a half right there. i do move fast though. i guess since i was there during christmas break my view is a bit skewed towards the crowds i experienced but still the idea of fully finishing these 4 parks in less than 5 days is a bit crazy to me. my goal when i go to WDW is to ride every single ride they have. i guess not everyone does that.

rickmusic53

You need to check your stats dude. I have been to DD day and nite for the last three years and it was no where close to a ghost town, not even after that sorry excuse for a club Pleasure Island closed.

CaptainMichael

Seagulls? Have you ever dined at Flame Tree Barbecue with all the snowy ibis in the trees. It is a real problem for ak. Half the tables are chairs-on-top at certain times of the year; there is so much ________ falling from the trees. Still I enjoy FTB but dodge the danger trees. :zipit:
They used to be really bad behind the Adventurers Club in the Cypress trees along Village Lake. Everytime I went out there to make a phone call, I wanted to gag:hurl:

You need to check your stats dude. I have been to DD day and nite for the last three years and it was no where close to a ghost town, not even after that sorry excuse for a club Pleasure Island closed.
Sure Marketplace is probably still up to its normal attendance, but PI and West Side are most likely the dead zones. I've never seen West Side even remotely crowded.

As to the part I underlined, FAIL.
Fail.

disney4life2008

you are a disney groupie mess. "disney disney disney... It is the world! It is my life! It is the best and if anyone tries to say differently i will scream and say nasty things!" (please repeat with a slight, very slight lisp) it just sounds funnier.

At least that is what i read from your comments above.

The uor parking garages are a green use of land. Plus, they keep my car cool in the summer. Disney plows down 60 percent more acres to build their massive tarscapes lots.

I enjoy cw. It is sparkly and pretty and upbeat and a very good business model.

I love most of the foreign tourists... They are fascinating and interesting both to look at and to talk with. It's my fellow americans that most leave me gagging and annoyed.

Seagulls? Have you ever dined at flame tree barbecue with all the snowy ibis in the trees. It is a real problem for ak. Half the tables are chairs-on-top at certain times of the year; there is so much ________ falling from the trees. Still i enjoy ftb but dodge the danger trees. :zipit:

Finally: 'simpsons is great and uni is six flags'. The idea that the simpsons is great, let alone competes with anything at any park is kooky. Six flags... Uor is so like a six flags... Yep... Yeah, right. Such an intelligent conclusion.

I am ashamed that i even chose to argue this peep. I must be slipping. :eek:

lol

KFJames

That coming from Swindon, as featured on Police Interceptors, you should be used to hanging around crime ridden areas and plenty of Chavs.

I don't think Swindon is any different to any other areas of the world, they all have crime and there are areas in Swindon that I would not wish to walk around by myself, as with other places in the world. I think you are getting things a little out of perspective or do you have a gripe with Swindon?

My point about Universal is that it is a Theme park, family orientated, or it should be, not full of half naked, beer swilling males & females. We spoke to several familes who felt the same way.

Mr.EPCOT

Otherwise, it is too many locals and FOREIGN TOURIST. The day I went, every line I stood in, everyone was non American. Nothing wrong with that though, it was just a lot of tour groups.

Most of the foreign tourists are okay, it's just the South American tour groups that are quite horrific. I would do anything for Disney to build a Disneyland in Brazil.

And, yeah, a lot of Americans are getting pretty bad, too. :(

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I don't think Swindon is any different to any other areas of the world, they all have crime and there are areas in Swindon that I would not wish to walk around by myself, as with other places in the world. I think you are getting things a little out of perspective or do you have a gripe with Swindon?

My point about Universal is that it is a Theme park, family orientated, or it should be, not full of half naked, beer swilling males & females. We spoke to several familes who felt the same way.

Oh deary deary me, Im getting things out of perspective? Im not the one making repeated posts about personal safety, beer swilling and nakedness. If you have a problem with drink Id avoid Epcot in the evenings. Or are you just trying to prove your credentials as a Disney Fan through criticism of Universal.

And from my perspective Swindon is indeed a ________ hole. Nothing personal.

epcotWSC

Oh deary deary me, Im getting things out of perspective? Im not the one making repeated posts about personal safety, beer swilling and nakedness. If you have a problem with drink Id avoid Epcot in the evenings.

lol yeah, Epcot is loaded with drunks in the evenings :lol:.

TIAK

True, but this is where Disney fails IMO, they believe in quantity over quality, and I feel that the majority, if not all their recent additions to the parks have been lacking in quality, and just simply built to keep guests coming back to see this "Brand new!!!!!11" show or attraction, and it's just a rehashed parade give or take a few floats and characters, and a brand new song, and because of these minimal changes, we'll need to raise the ticket prices for this 'new experience.' Also, Disney has more money to play around with, and more space to build new things, whereas Universal is struggling and doesn't have that much land to play around with. Heck, in order for us to have HPland, we had to give up most of our Lost Continent area which I felt was one of the best themed sections of a theme park anywhere, even J.K. Rowling herself said that she loved the theming of the LC and was sad to see it go, but is confident that HP will be a better replacement.

Maybe if we don't post these threads as often, the bashing won't happen on a DISNEY forum? Seriously guys, why is it hard to to say Universal is a great park to visit? Is it because it'll make you appear less cool in front of your friends here? Is it because it's not ran by a mouse? Or is it because you have no idea what's at Universal and don't seem to care and think that since it isn't Disney, makes it something that you can skip? For those that feel they have to bash Universal just because, I'd say they need to take off their "mouse colored" glasses and see Universal as a fun experience juast as you see Disney as a "magical" experience. I enjoy both parks just the same, but tend to favor Universal more due to the fact that they aren't trying to force 'magic' down your throats with all this cutsie-pie toddler-oriented shows that pretty much make you buy the movie-related souvenirs when you're done with a ride or show. To me, Disney 'magic' has changed from how you experience their parks, to how quickly they make your money disappear while keeping you happy, and I'm glad I don't feel this 'magic' at Universal :)

I had to respond to the above....My family were HUGE Universal fans and went regularly. Unfortunately we just don't think of it the same way anymore. In a nutshell, we find the level of service to be apathetic at best and down right rude at worst. For the money you pay that is unacceptable to us. During our trip 2 years ago not one employee smiled at us in passing...NOT ONE. The employee at one of the icecream huts actually walked away after making 1/2 of my daughters brownie sundae and told his already busy coworker to finish it! He actually smirked at me and walked away when I asked him if he would just finish it so we could go. :shrug: We don't need employees following us around making magic but for the prices at both parks we expect a high level of service. Higher certainly than we've experienced at Universal recently.
Having said all that, we do think it's a great place and lots of fun...especially with older kids. We just think you need to lower your expectations, especially if you go during a Disney vacation. In our opinion you can't compare the two resorts....go to each for the things you love.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom