Universal Studios new disability pass

My95cobras

You can make complaints but it isn’t going to change anything. If you don’t like it, don’t give them your business…. I don’t see why that’s not a viable option. There are businesses I no longer go to and spend my money at if I don’t agree with their policies.

JT3000

Whoever doesn’t want to comply with their new rules.
This is a basic matter of accommodation, not compliance. Guests with disabilities are not going to stage a riot because they have an unreasonable animosity towards the park's rules. The park is legally required to provide reasonable accommodations for such guests, and last I checked, they were called "guests" for a reason. This is the hospitality industry, is it not?

You can make complaints but it isn’t going to change anything.
Do you think guest services exists just for giggles?

Chi84

Premium Member
Many other parks have done this for years. Until there is a lawsuit or ruling or other outcome, this is the rule. You’ll have to follow it or not go. There are only 2 options.
Well you can always follow it but explain to them why you believe the new rules are unduly burdensome. Businesses can and do change based on customer feedback.

If too many people are using the service - even if they are qualified to do so - it’s possible that it will have to change in some way. That’s what happened at WDW.

My95cobras

This is a basic matter of accommodation, not compliance. Guests with disabilities are not going to stage a riot because they have an unreasonable animosity towards the park's rules. The park is legally required to provide reasonable accommodations for such guests, and last I checked, they were called "guests" for a reason. This is the hospitality industry, is it not?

Do you think guest services exists just for giggles?

riot? Getting a bit extreme…. They are still providing reasonable accommodations. But everyone is whining about a rule that isn’t going to change. The people at guest services are not going to change the rules. Maybe in the future they may change again, but not now and not from anything on this message board.

So the two options are still, comply or don’t go.

Chi84

Premium Member
riot? Getting a bit extreme…. They are still providing reasonable accommodations. But everyone is whining about a rule that isn’t going to change. The people at guest services are not going to change the rules. Maybe in the future they may change again, but not now and not from anything on this message board.

I’m not sure what you’re adding here. I haven’t seen anyone say they weren’t planning to comply. They’re just discussing the new rule and asking questions about it. Some don’t agree with it but it’s certainly their right to say so.

My95cobras

I’m not sure what you’re adding here. I haven’t seen anyone say they weren’t planning to comply. They’re just discussing the new rule and asking questions about it. Some don’t agree with it but it’s certainly their right to say so.
I agree they have the right to voice that and I have my right to voice my thoughts. saying over and over again that they don’t like it is not going to make anything change.

JT3000

Well you made it a matter of compliance, like disabled guests are all going to start breaking the rules because their needs aren't being met. That's not how this works. If enough people complain about a park policy through the proper channels, then yes, the higher-ups will look into it and consider changing their policy. That's precisely what those services are there for. You're basically telling us that we should just accept the current policy and wait for it to maybe change in the future, which will never happen if no one complains. Also, it might be easy for you to just say "don't go," but "don't go" is never the correct answer for a business that makes its money from people going there. People working in the hospitality industry with that sort of outlook on guest dissatisfaction usually last less than a week, and for good reason. These businesses know it's completely unacceptable from the vantage point of customers who are either directly affected or can at least empathize with those who are.

My95cobras

Well you made it a matter of compliance, like disabled guests are all going to start breaking the rules because their needs aren't being met. That's not how this works. If enough people complain about a park policy through the proper channels, then yes, the higher-ups will look into it and consider changing their policy. That's precisely what those services are there for. You're basically telling us that we should just accept the current policy and wait for it to maybe change in the future, which will never happen if no one complains. Also, it might be easy for you to just say "don't go," but "don't go" is never the correct answer for a business that makes its money from people going there. People working in the hospitality industry with that sort of outlook on guest dissatisfaction usually last less than a week, and for good reason. They know it's completely unacceptable from the vantage point of customers who are either directly affected or can at least empathize with those who are.

I did not make it a matter of compliance. I made it a matter of giving business to a place you don’t agree with the policies of. I’m not going to riot over my views, but I won’t give a business I don’t agree with money.

I’m not saying accept anything, no one on here has said anything about contacting guest services and their response. Just that they don’t like it and they think it’s illegal without any basis. Complaints with no actions. But this is their solution to a problem they have which is people abusing the disability pass. It’s not going to change anytime soon, unless there is a better option.

Tom Morrow

Not sure if this has already been brought up in here, but this system has already been in place at every Six Flags for a little while as well as a few other parks:

Beyond that, there's no way they wouldn't make a change like this without consulting a team of corporate lawyers first to make sure it is legally sound.

lazyboy97o

Not sure if this has already been brought up in here, but this system has already been in place at every Six Flags for a little while as well as a few other parks:

Beyond that, there's no way they wouldn't make a change like this without consulting a team of corporate lawyers first to make sure it is legally sound.
The original purpose of the pass was to remove barriers by creating a common system that would be used by multiple destinations. You were supposed to be able to take the pass to participating locations and receive the accommodations without the hassle of having explain your needs over and over again. It was supposed to remove having to deal with the variety of different policies and the wild variety of staff who may or may not properly understand the law and the needs of guests.

That’s not how it is working in practice. Instead of removing barriers it is adding barriers. The pass is instead being used as just an initial screening process. What was previously a one step process is now a multi-day, multi-step process. The whole process could easily take a week from requesting documentation from your medical provider to finally speaking with Universal. The whole purpose of accessibility is that it should just be there as much as possible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom