Universal Studios new disability pass

Autumn

Original Poster
Universal Studios, along with other themed parks have changed the way in which you now have to obtain a disability pass for a member in your party with a disability. I get it that a lot of people fake a disability, but for people like me who has an adult son with autism asking for doctor's proof as well as copies of either an IEP or any document that proves he is disable feels like an invasion of privacy, They also ask us to download a picture of him as well. This seems wrong. There has to be a better less stressful way to do this. Disney does not ask us for any proof. When we go to guest relations at Disney, once they meet my son they issue us a DAS pass without any questions asked. What is up with Universal? Life with an adult child with autism is challenging enough.

jaklgreen

Universal Studios, along with other themed parks have changed the way in which you now have to obtain a disability pass for a member in your party with a disability. I get it that a lot of people fake a disability, but for people like me who has an adult son with autism asking for doctor's proof as well as copies of either an IEP or any document that proves he is disable feels like an invasion of privacy, They also ask us to download a picture of him as well. This seems wrong. There has to be a better less stressful way to do this. Disney does not ask us for any proof. When we go to guest relations at Disney, once they meet my son they issue us a DAS pass without any questions asked. What is up with Universal? Life with an adult child with autism is challenging enough.
This does seem invasive. One because not everyone that needs the pass has autism and this company that they are going through is an autism "help" site. Who are these people really and why should they have access to people's medical information? And a big one is that not everyone sees their doctor about their medical condition. My daughter has been struggling with anxiety and ADHD but no doctor wants to diagnose with it. She was literally told that they won't diagnose that anymore because "too many people are seeing it on Tictok" and don't really have it.
My physical condition is something that their is no test for, they just have to take your word for it that you struggle with that issue and there is nothing that can be done about it. I spoke once with my old doctor about it and the said nothing can be done and so I don't have any record of my physical issues that I get a DAS for. So how would I get access at US?

Last edited:

Autumn

Original Poster
Thank you for your response. It is very frustrating. My son's father also has health issues that prevent him from waiting on long lines. He also travels with a wheelchair as he cannot walk for long distances. Universal Studios is asking for a letter from his primary care provider as well. I spoke to someone from Universal studios in regard to this new policy and their answer to me was that if he has health issues that prevent him from waiting on long lines then he should not be going on most of our rides. WOW. We already have reservations and are scheduled to go to Universal Studios next month. This may be our last trip there. Disney may be more expensive, but at least they are disability friendly.

JT3000

I spoke to someone from Universal studios in regard to this new policy and their answer to me was that if he has health issues that prevent him from waiting on long lines then he should not be going on most of our rides.
Did you ask to speak to their supervisor? Because I guarantee they weren't trained to say that and would likely receive the chewing out they require. Making sure you voice your displeasure with this entire setup at the highest level you can reach is the quickest way to get it changed.

WDWFREAK53

Thank you for your response. It is very frustrating. My son's father also has health issues that prevent him from waiting on long lines. He also travels with a wheelchair as he cannot walk for long distances. Universal Studios is asking for a letter from his primary care provider as well. I spoke to someone from Universal studios in regard to this new policy and their answer to me was that if he has health issues that prevent him from waiting on long lines then he should not be going on most of our rides. WOW. We already have reservations and are scheduled to go to Universal Studios next month. This may be our last trip there. Disney may be more expensive, but at least they are disability friendly.
Without knowing what his ailment is...if he physically can't wait in line because of a back or neck issue...then he really shouldn't be waiting in most of the lines for their attractions as the warnings about those with back/neck issues are plastered all over them. But again, I'm sure the employee didn't know what his physical disability was.

That being said, that isn't "ALL" of the attractions...and it was a very bad way to communicate with a paying guest if that is truly how it was worded.

Autumn

Original Poster
Without knowing what his ailment is...if he physically can't wait in line because of a back or neck issue...then he really shouldn't be waiting in most of the lines for their attractions as the warnings about those with back/neck issues are plastered all over them. But again, I'm sure the employee didn't know what his physical disability was.

That being said, that isn't "ALL" of the attractions...and it was a very bad way to communicate with a paying guest if that is truly how it was worded.
In all fairness to the guest relations person, I did mention his ailment but I still feel that, as you pointed out, there are many attractions and rides he can go on but cannot wait in a long line especially if the line starts outside in the heat. Accommodations should be made for people with challenges that make them vulnerable to extreme conditions. Disney gets it. Also he is aware of which attractions are not appropriate and is adult enough to make the intellectual decision not to go on them.

jaklgreen

Wow, imagine if they said that to an autistic person what the outrage would be.

Autumn

Original Poster
This does seem invasive. One because not everyone that needs the pass has autism and this company that they are going through is an autism "help" site. Who are these people really and why should they have access to people's medical information? And a big one is that not everyone sees their doctor about their medical condition. My daughter has been struggling with anxiety and ADHD but no doctor wants to diagnose with it. She was literally told that they won't diagnose that anymore because "too many people are seeing it on Tictok" and don't really have it.
My physical condition is something that their is no test for, they just have to take your word for it that you struggle with that issue and there is nothing that can be done about it. I spoke once with my old doctor about it and the said nothing can be done and so I don't have any record of my physical issues that I get a DAS for. So how would I get access at US
It seems very unfair that people have to prove with personal data that they have a challenge that make it difficult to wait on a long line in any themed park. Your personal medical information is your personal medical information and should not be shared by anyone other than your healthcare provider and your insurance company. This new requirement by Universal and other themed parks seems illegal since there is something called a Hippa Law that is supposed to protect our rights when it comes to our personal medical conditions.

Autumn

Original Poster
I understand but the fact that they ask for this information and share your personal information with a third party who make the determination if your disability hinders your ability to wait on line seems intrusive.

jaklgreen

HIPPA only means that medical professionals can not give away your medical information without your consent. There is no law that says that you can not give it out yourself. But I don't think that places like this third party company need to know your medical information. Again, why would an autistic help site be qualified to get and hold your medical diagnosis?

Chi84

Premium Member
I understand but the fact that they ask for this information and share your personal information with a third party who make the determination if your disability hinders your ability to wait on line seems intrusive.
I’m not saying it doesn’t seem intrusive, just that it doesn’t involve HIPAA concerns. HIPAA is the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. (HIPAA, not HIPPA.)

You would be the one asking your own health care provider to give the information to someone else - whether it be Universal or the company hired by them.

I’m not at all unsympathetic to your situation but I believe any legal arguments would have to be made under the ADA.

Chi84

Premium Member
HIPPA only means that medical professionals can not give away your medical information without your consent. There is no law that says that you can not give it out yourself. But I don't think that places like this third party company need to know your medical information. Again, why would an autistic help site be qualified to get and hold your medical diagnosis?
Is Universal requiring a specific diagnosis?

jaklgreen

Is Universal requiring a specific diagnosis?
I don't think that they have said that. They still call you and talk to you after you have sent in your diagnosis. From what I have heard, they US employees says that they can not see what your actual diagnosis is, just that it was "verified" by this third party company. So US still asks you why you can't wait in line and can deny you.
On a FB group that I am in, a few people have been denied.

Autumn

Original Poster
My provider works for a clinic with an email address that is only accessible if you are a patient with a login password and username. This makes it even more complicated as Universal is also asking for an email address of your provider when there is only a login one that is not acceptable by the system. I feel Universal is making this journey and vacation too stressful and difficult. I am sure I am not alone. Many people with family members with disabilities are going to stop going to Universal Studios because of this. There is a reason why we do not go to six flags among other themed parks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chi84

Premium Member
I don't think that they have said that. They still call you and talk to you after you have sent in your diagnosis. From what I have heard, they US employees says that they can not see what your actual diagnosis is, just that it was "verified" by this third party company. So US still asks you why you can't wait in line and can deny you.
On a FB group that I am in, a few people have been denied.
I don’t know anything about whether or how the ADA has been interpreted when it comes to skip the line systems at theme parks. It’s possible this is an untested area.

On its face, asking for verification that a person has a medical condition that prevents them from standing in line and stating what accommodations they need doesn’t seem to violate the ADA. I’m sure there are others who know more about this subject.

Autumn

Original Poster
I am becoming very stressed out by this whole new process that is making it hard for me to prove that a member of my family cannot wait on a long line because of a disability. What is supposed to be a fun vacation is becoming a nightmare. I still have not figured out what kind of doctor's letter Universal wants, how to download this letter and what to do if there is no email address that is specific for this doctor. I should just wait on a long line with my family member and when he passes out in the heat because he cannot wait on line and my documents were not good enough will Universal stop this? We are not faking a disability. There are other disabilities that are not apparent. We are all adults and know which attractions are appropriate and which are not. This third party seems to only work if you have a cognitive disability not a health issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom