Universal Studios Florida vs Islands of Adventure

USF vs IOA

• Total voters

Weather_Lady

I voted for IOA, but I like both almost equally well. USF has the benefit of live shows among their attractions and although I haven't actually done a count, it "feels" like it has a larger number of things to do. On the other hand, its attractions are more repetitive in style than the ones in IOA (a higher ratio of simulators and 3D), and I find IOA to be more attractive, immersive, and pleasant to walk around. Thankfully, I've never had to choose between them -- we wouldn't schedule a trip where we couldn't spend plenty of time in both.

TheIndoorKid

I had to go USF. I really love ET, Mummy, and Diagon Alley (Though I think FJ is better than Gringott's. I like like Diagon better than Hogsmeade)

Though, I guess I forgot that USF has Supercharged and Fallon...maybe I should change my vote.

lebeau

I went with USF just because we tend to spend more time there. Diagon Alley aside, IOA has better theming. But the kids prefer the ride line-up at USF.

joshjoned

Original Poster
I had to go USF. I really love ET, Mummy, and Diagon Alley (Though I think FJ is better than Gringott's. I like like Diagon better than Hogsmeade)

Though, I guess I forgot that USF has Supercharged and Fallon...maybe I should change my vote.

yes, two AWFUL rides.

cheezbat

Used to LOVE Studios...over the past few years I haven’t been impressed with the new additions/replacements over there, aside from Diagon(which is amazing!)...still love Mummy and MIB, Transformers, and ET, but that’s about it. I miss BTTF and Jaws. There just isn’t enough diversity in attractions there.
On the flip side, Islands has some great lands, more diversity in attractions, and the park is really going to be fantastic when the Potter and Jurassic coasters open. I love River Adventure, Popeye, Forbidden Journey, Spider-Man, and Kong.

JT3000

IOA. USF was getting close for a while there, but then they started making questionable decisions more recently. Diagon Alley is the best part of either park, but it's not enough to tip the scales.

USF has the benefit of live shows among their attractions and although I haven't actually done a count, it "feels" like it has a larger number of things to do.

IOA has a real dearth of live shows, and live entertainment in general, but the overall attraction count is higher than USF's. Contrary to IOA's reputation as a thrill park, however, a larger proportion of those attractions are kiddie rides and playgrounds.

UpAllNight

Studios is my least favourite park in Florida, and is actually a much less balanced park than USH which I love.

I find the entrance underwhelming. I feel screen city on entrance is a poor start to the day. Annoyed at the gradual removal of good animatronic experiences for screens that offer little unique. The whole right hand side of the park feels pointless to me now other than ET. No shows that match the quality of Waterworld. Some truly awful shows in Fear Factor. The kids area has been up for removal for what feels like 2 decades. Never felt less excited to try a new multi million dollar attraction than I feel for F&F.

The level is high, and Mummy and Gringotts make it a park that is still worth doing.... But it’s suffered some very poor decisions. Any word if there are immediate plans to address any of these @marni1971 ? I fear they’ll go all out on the new park after the J Park / World coaster.

Islands is fantastic. Glad they’re adding life to Jurassic Park. Feel like Marvel is dated but does house Spiderman which remains incredible. Feel like they’re missing a trick with truly unique dining experiences in Marvel. Wish they’d use the Toon theatre for something or open up the space by removing Doctor Doom.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The level is high, and Mummy and Gringotts make it a park that is still worth doing.... But it’s suffered some very poor decisions. Any word if there are immediate plans to address any of these @marni1971 ?
To an extent I agree. As you know I’ve sung Unis praises for years now but also called it out when needed. The studios park has gone off the boil and isn’t as appealing as it once was. Still worth a visit of course but it isn’t the same. Creative realised about the screenz issue once it was too late to abort Fallon, and F&F was an order from above that’s backfired spectacularly. The F&F story may not be over yet. In the meantime Jason’s stunt show will offer something different and SLOP, whilst far from aproved for Orlando, keeps popping up on the radar which will be heavily biased away from screens.

Tom Morrow

Studios is my least favourite park in Florida, and is actually a much less balanced park than USH which I love.

I find the entrance underwhelming.

Agreed, USF has the worst and ugliest entrance of the Orlando parks. One could argue that the archway and globe are the actual entrance, and those are fine, but once you're actually through the gates, it's a very underwhelming and visually cluttered view. Every other Orlando park has a grand entrance. I wish they would overhaul it.

JoeCamel

Pretty sure it is this they were shooting for. Once through the gate it is a bunch of soundstages.

GLaDOS

IoA, and it's really not close. Personally I think IoA is the best park in Florida. USF I'd probably rank 4th, but the recent changes after Diagon Alley have not helped the park. Still, Diagon, Transformers, ET, Mummy, MIB, and Springfield are still strong attractions.

UpAllNight

Agreed, USF has the worst and ugliest entrance of the Orlando parks. One could argue that the archway and globe are the actual entrance, and those are fine, but once you're actually through the gates, it's a very underwhelming and visually cluttered view. Every other Orlando park has a grand entrance. I wish they would overhaul it.

Hollywood’s entrance however, is fantastic. I think it’s because it feels very Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom