Universal Puts Disney's Reopening on Defensive

the.dreamfinder

Shanghai isn't started AP payments because right now the AP cannot be used at all. You need to purchase a separate day-stamped ticket regardless if reservations are available or not.
False, AP holders can use them to make reservation.

From the SHDR site
“Annual Pass holders must make a reservation for their visit date and time through the resort’s official online channels before their visit to the park.”

TrojanUSC

Looks like the @WDW Pro was correct, imagine that. For those that continually try to mow down people who try to provide some insider info, just stop, or that inside info will dry up real quick. ;)

Let's do a quick fact check. Should be noted that most of this is just common sense, insight gleaned from Shanghai, Iger's interviews or from media covering this.

Update:

August is now the company's internal target for reopening the domestic parks. Planning is underway for a televised, Disney + fireworks show for Independence Day, but would be without any significant physical audience, would involve closed roads, and would need permission from Florida. Epcot is still not planned to reopen with the rest of the parks and would lag by perhaps a month or so. Mandatory temperature checks would occur at each gate and resort entrance. Unlikely at this time that all resorts may open simultaneously - a plan internally titled Secure Circuit would see only MK resorts open with monorail service to MK and bus service to AK / DHS. This is the highest level health screening plan to attempt reopening with Florida and US government assistance. It would be temporary but could get things opened once more. No plans to reopen the water parks this summer. Temporarily expect to see directional arrows on the ground to direct foot traffic so that social distancing is easier. Dining modifications are still underway in the planning stage with tiered systems for gradually returning to normal when possible. Expect domestic parks to operate as regional entities rather than international destinations for the next year or so.

I now have multiple corroborating sources that have informed me of some specific things.

1) There is a worst-case scenario plan for WDW that is either developed or under development which prioritizes maintenance for the remainder of 2020 if the parks and resort are unable to reopen. This would see certain areas of the resort under much less upkeep in order to limit costs. This might also see many of the roads closed at WDW to public access.

2) Disney is currently in talks with the NBA to resume the NBA season / postseason with the players finishing all games at the ESPN complex. Details are being negotiated, and could fall through, but players would likely stay at Caribbean Beach Resort with Cayman, Sea Breeze, and Victory Way closed except to NBA and Disney vehicles. The aim would be to restart the NBA in late May to early June. Again, this could fall through, but it is being worked on and I believe some details have already begun to leak.
3) DeSantis has been in communication recently with Disney, Universal, IAAPA, etc, and is keen on getting the parks up and running as soon as safely possible. This is a marked departure from the approach the California government is taking. While Disneyland may remain closed for a long time, there is actually optimism that WDW may be able to reopen during the summer with intense restrictions and limitations.
4) The "Secure Circuit" protocol is still the preferred plan for reopening. Secure Circuit does the following:
  • Magic Kingdom reopens with limited capacity, no theaters, no parades, no castle shows, no fireworks and sanitized ride vehicles after every guest exit.
  • Magic Kingdom resorts reopen with strict distancing guidelines in place.
  • Monorails would not operate.
  • Ferries and boat transportation would operate with distancing in place.
  • Health checks would be introduced at every security checkpoint. This would include temperature checks and Q&A (including locations you have traveled to in the past 14 days).
  • Guests will have to sign additional legal forms clearing Disney of liability for potential exposure to COVID-19.
  • EPCOT will remain closed if other parks are able to reopen prior to September.
  • Hollywood Studios reopens with limited capacity, no indoor theaters, no parades, no fireworks, and sanitized ride vehicles after every guest exit.
  • Animal Kingdom reopens with limited capacity, no indoor theaters, no parades, no Rivers of Light, and sanitized ride vehicles after every guest exit. Maharajah Jungle Trek would remain closed, and no close encounters with any animals at any place in the park will be permitted. Details about Animal Kingdom are still being developed.
  • Transportation guidelines are still being developed.
  • Dining guidelines are still being developed.
  • No character meet and greets.
  • No character dining.
  • Water parks will not reopen while Secure Circuit is in place.
  • DVC details are still being developed.
  • Sanitation stations will be available throughout the parks, as well as directions on the ground to keep guests moving in proper directions for limited pedestrian crossing.
  • It is likely, though not officially determined, that masks will be a requirement for adults.
  • Magic Bands mandatory for all guests, fingerprints temporarily on hold.
  • Non-MK resorts are unlikely to reopen until Phase 2 begins (Secure Circuit is for Phase 1).
  • Disney is currently evaluating every single ride and queue to determine how and if it can operate with strict distancing guidelines. This includes determining how to move people through the queue in a safe manner even if virtual queue is in place for that particular ride. For example, even just moving through the queue of Pirates exposes guests to whatever guests passed through the queue 20 seconds prior.
  • Chapek ultimately makes the call on when to reopen and how, once DeSantis gives the green light... so while the protocols for Secure Circuit have been developed, there may be changes from the top.
  • What's on and what's off for future construction is now largely on how much and when Disney receives US government money, as well as the realities of the economy on the other side of this situation. Expect Disney to NOT announce cancellations of projects in 2020, but also for some projects to simply sit with no announcement. Disney is likely to be very bearish in 2020 until we get Q4 economic data.
Best regards - hope everyone is safe.

DisneyDebRob

Do we know the monorail will be running?
Don’t think we do,skyliners also. They would both be really tough to manage during this. Both would be really hard to wipe down constantly, although the separation for just families in the skyliner would be easier. Still it’s constantly moving and as others have said, when the family gets out they would need to wipe it down as it moves. Both sound horrible right now .

peter11435

Don’t think we do,skyliners also. They would both be really tough to manage during this. Both would be really hard to wipe down constantly, although the separation for just families in the skyliner would be easier. Still it’s constantly moving and as others have said, when the family gets out they would need to wipe it down as it moves. Both sound horrible right now .
We are assuming any vehicles will be wiped down between guests. That’s not being done in Shanghai and was not mentioned during the task force meeting.

Giss Neric

There was. You must have missed it.
These "types/kinds" of people are those who make up their own opinions and belief systems but they don't even bother to research. Whenever someone proves them wrong, it's either they'll stick to their opinion or just block you. Very close minded.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
We are assuming any vehicles will be wiped down between guests. That’s not being done in Shanghai and was not mentioned during the task force meeting.
It was only talked about in some of the rumors. I think that was back when they thought the openings would be a a little more structured. Now it seems like it’s more going to be...here’s a hand sanitizer station and a sign reminding you to wash your hands.

WDW Pro

Original Poster
Let's do a quick fact check. Should be noted that most of this is just common sense, insight gleaned from Shanghai, Iger's interviews or from media covering this.

Given how early I reported all of that, how Universal forced changes through a very early opening, and how I detailed upcoming changes BEFORE Shanghai opened... not bad. 80% or more of what I reported stayed through to announced implementation, with some very specific items.

Thanks for the review!

DisneyDebRob

It was only talked about in some of the rumors. I think that was back when they thought the openings would be a a little more structured. Now it seems like it’s more going to be...here’s a hand sanitizer station and a sign reminding you to wash your hands.
I remember reading multiple times on here and articles on what they would need to do to open. Always on the list was everything needed to be wiped down after every use where people were at, from monorails to shows to seating at restaurants. I think that’s on the back burner now, haven’t seen anything mentioned in a few weeks. It’s like you said.. here’s sanitizer and just stay safe.
I don’t like to assume usually and definitely not with what’s going on. I guess we will see July 11.

WDW Pro

Original Poster
I remember reading multiple times on here and articles on what they would need to do to open. Always on the list was everything needed to be wiped down after every use where people were at, from monorails to shows to seating at restaurants. I think that’s on the back burner now, haven’t seen anything mentioned in a few weeks. It’s like you said.. here’s sanitizer and just stay safe.

Don't forget the CDC has given conflicting information in the past two weeks on surface transfer. That impacts Disney's ability to guage necessary protocols.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don’t like to assume usually and definitely not with what’s going on. I guess we will see July 11.
Don't forget the CDC has given conflicting information in the past two weeks on surface transfer. That impacts Disney's ability to guage necessary protocols.
I think that probably the CDC thing combined with the fact that nobody else in the industry has even hinted at doing anything like cleaning between each guest has allowed Disney to skip it and still be OK from a CYA prospective.

Mem11

Then that has changed. When it was announced it said AP's would not be honored during the reservation period.
Not sure where you are getting your information from but if you go to the Official Shanghai Disneyland website here:
Shanghai Disneyland Annual Pass Announcement

You will see that what everyone is telling you is correct, annual passholders do not have to purchase a separate ticket. Hopefully WDW adopts this same policy, but you never know...

doctornick

Given how early I reported all of that, how Universal forced changes through a very early opening, and how I detailed upcoming changes BEFORE Shanghai opened... not bad. 80% or more of what I reported stayed through to announced implementation, with some very specific items.

Evidence? Reliable posters have indicated that July was always the target.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I had a seasonal pass to Universal that expired on April 28th. It’s supposed to be extended correct? Because if so, I’m planning on going to universal this coming weekend instead of a Disney trip.

JoeCamel

I had a seasonal pass to Universal that expired on April 28th. It’s supposed to be extended correct? Because if so, I’m planning on going to universal this coming weekend instead of a Disney trip.
You can check the date yourself if you have the App on your phone. Easy to do

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom