Universal Orlando outlines plans to reopen its theme parks from June 1

Tom Morrow

Well... that's kinda what Universal does all the time: short, in-your-face loops, that play over and over and over again... loudly.

From the first step into a Potter land, you're hit with the main theme non-stop.

And then out in the walkways, it's always some rad, fuzzy guitar lick over and over again.

The soundscape at Universal in general is awful.

So, no surprise that's how they handle announcements.

Funny thing, I actually used to prefer Universal's audio methods, and would complain that Disney is too quiet. Maybe getting older did its thing, but I've definitely reversed on this. At Universal, you really are constantly hammered with relentless, in-your-face audio. Something I noticed recently is that you are often hearing multiple audio sources clashing with each other, as in, you shouldn't be hearing all of them, but you do. Their goal is "exciting atmosphere!" but I believe more often the result is "anxiety and stress inducing atmosphere!" Now with the relentless COVID spiels on top of this, it's very, very grating.

maxairmike

Funny thing, I actually used to prefer Universal's audio methods, and would complain that Disney is too quiet. Maybe getting older did its thing, but I've definitely reversed on this. At Universal, you really are constantly hammered with relentless, in-your-face audio. Something I noticed recently is that you are often hearing multiple audio sources clashing with each other, as in, you shouldn't be hearing all of them, but you do. Their goal is "exciting atmosphere!" but I believe more often the result is "anxiety and stress inducing atmosphere!" Now with the relentless COVID spiels on top of this, it's very, very grating.

I'm normally ultra-aware of audio issues like that, but I can't think of more than one or two spots that's ever been an issue in USF or IOA. I think they generally do a really good job even in transition areas between lands. The atmospheric is a little loud in spots, and I would agree generally a bit louder than Disney, but not excessively so. I haven't noticed it the couple of times I've been since reopening, but I may have been otherwise distracted (haven't really been in "relax" mode as much when I've gone since, it's typically been with the mission of doing a few certain things and then leaving) and I can believe they may have pushed the volume a bit to make sure the announcements can't be ignored, so it could have screwed with the balance of music not being heard outside of where it should be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom