Universal Orlando outlines plans to reopen its theme parks from June 1

Benjamin_Nicholas

I'm wondering what people that go into that are thinking? They have to know what it will be like and they don't care? Don't take it seriously?
I have heard behind the scenes is not better for the TMs and changes will be coming

Agreed. I watched as entire families, including older folks, piled into the park, masks not fully covering their faces, and that was enough for me to give Uni a quick call and refund the tickets I had for that day.

Clearly, Universal doesn't care and neither do the guests.

I was at Disney (Epcot) the following day and it was limited attendance, well-handled, nicely distanced in lines and didn't feel insane. If this is the way Disney handles major holiday weekends at the parks, they did a fantastic job.

thelookingglass

Universal seems to have decided that they're only going to pay lip-service to COVID safety procedures now. Sucks that Disney is the one taking all the flak for re-opening when they're still taking it much more seriously and appear to be the only theme parks in the US that are. (Perhaps not so much at Disney Springs.)

Tom Morrow

Disney's COVID spiels: subdued, non-intrusive, classy sounding monorail guy, brief and to the point, every 10-15 minutes.

Universal's COVID spiels: super loud, obnoxious, excited, a minute long, playing every 5 minutes.

This needs to change.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Just got this email from Uni for Travel Planners. Looks like Uni is expecting large crowds over the next few weeks and encouraging guests to go to the parks on weeknights instead of weeknights as they might have to close the parks if they hit their new capacity.

5ADBFCA5-7F99-403E-A76D-8DC46AD0CBE6.png

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

I can't imagine how much more unpleasant it could possibly get, because as it is at UOR lately it's already the most unpleasant experience I've ever had at any theme park. I'm not being hyperbolic. I was praising the experience I had in June. Now it's dreadful, even on weekdays.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Just got an update from Universal regarding the re-opening of the remaining hotels.

Sapphire will remain closed until at least March 1, 2021, with reservations from 1/1/20 through 2/28/2021 being cancelled.
Aventura will remain closed until at least July 1, 2021, with reservations from 1/1/20 through 6/30/2021 being cancelled.
Endless Summer/Surfside Inn will remain closed until at least April 1,2021 with reservations from 1/4/2021 through 3/31/2021 being cancelled

Rob562

Just got an update from Universal regarding the re-opening of the remaining hotels.

Sapphire will remain closed until at least March 1, 2021, with reservations from 1/1/20 through 2/28/2021 being cancelled.
Aventura will remain closed until at least July 1, 2021, with reservations from 1/1/20 through 6/30/2021 being cancelled.
Endless Summer/Surfside Inn will remain closed until at least April 1,2021 with reservations from 1/4/2021 through 3/31/2021 being cancelled

I thought Surfside has been open this entire time, one of the few hotels that stayed open. Or perhaps they're planning on closing it after the holiday rush (hence the Jan 4 date listed vs Jan 1 for the other two) while Dockside takes care of the value hotel demand.

-Rob

JoeCamel

I thought Surfside has been open this entire time, one of the few hotels that stayed open. Or perhaps they're planning on closing it after the holiday rush (hence the Jan 4 date listed vs Jan 1 for the other two) while Dockside takes care of the value hotel demand.

-Rob
It is, I think you are right that they will shift to Dockside after the 1st of the year. I can book Surfside for Thanksgiving now so it is available.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No

-Rob

It is, I think you are right that they will shift to Dockside after the 1st of the year. I can book Surfside for Thanksgiving now so it is available.
You're both correct, sorry for the mistyping.

Disneyhead'71

Dockside has a lot more rooms than Surfside. 2,050 rooms compared to 750 at Surfside. So they are opening half Dockside on Dec. 15th and the other half on Jan. 4th when they shutter Surfside. I heard that most of Surfside's employees will be moved to Dockside because back pre-COVID they had planned to only open half of Dockside on March 16 with the other half opening in Oct. So they had only staffed for 1050 rooms initially.

Tom Morrow

This probably doesn't deserve its own thread, but its COVID related. Last time I posted a big complaint I was criticized for not complaining directly to Universal, but it was about things that will cost money to fix. This can be fixed with no money, so I did.

Universal's COVID spiels are obnoxious and relentless! They play in the attraction queues every five minutes and are one minute long, so only about four minutes before hearing them again. That is way too often, and the spiels are way too long, sing-songy, and in-your-face. It also means the queue show effects are constantly interrupted. This made sense back in June/July when the lines actually were only 5-10 minutes, but now that long waits are common again, its incredibly grating to hear it as often as you do.

Beyond that, they now have parkwide spiels like Disney, which is fine, they don't play as frequently. But the spiels in the parking structure are on a continuous loop, then you have the park/resort-wide spiels, then you have people live spieling in CityWalk or at the park entrances. Then you have team members constantly, CONSTANTLY live spieling to the queue about social distancing. THEN you have team members constantly interrupting the rides themselves, spieling to the entire attraction because one person's nose might be visible. I rode ET and didn't get to hear half of it because of this. At some point you'd think they would just talk to them at the end of the ride instead of ruining it for everyone?

I know it's a Disney comparison again but Disney's COVID spiels are far, FAR less obnoxious and intrusive. They're about every 15 minutes and instead of being a minute long, they're like 20 seconds. "Hi. COVID bad. Do the stuff or get out. Thanks." And nowhere are they on a continuous loop.

"Well, people should follow the rules." Yes, but the issue is, when you over-spiel, people start tuning it out and ignoring it. Relentless spieling is NOT more effective.

On the plus side, though, it seems that the addition of "or you will be asked to leave" verbiage has resulted in more people properly wearing their mask, so that's a plus.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This probably doesn't deserve its own thread, but its COVID related. Last time I posted a big complaint I was criticized for not complaining directly to Universal, but it was about things that will cost money to fix. This can be fixed with no money, so I did.

Universal's COVID spiels are obnoxious and relentless! They play in the attraction queues every five minutes and are one minute long, so only about four minutes before hearing them again. That is way too often, and the spiels are way too long, sing-songy, and in-your-face. It also means the queue show effects are constantly interrupted. This made sense back in June/July when the lines actually were only 5-10 minutes, but now that long waits are common again, its incredibly grating to hear it as often as you do.

Beyond that, they now have parkwide spiels like Disney, which is fine, they don't play as frequently. But the spiels in the parking structure are on a continuous loop, then you have the park/resort-wide spiels, then you have people live spieling in CityWalk or at the park entrances. Then you have team members constantly, CONSTANTLY live spieling to the queue about social distancing. THEN you have team members constantly interrupting the rides themselves, spieling to the entire attraction because one person's nose might be visible. I rode ET and didn't get to hear half of it because of this. At some point you'd think they would just talk to them at the end of the ride instead of ruining it for everyone?

I know it's a Disney comparison again but Disney's COVID spiels are far, FAR less obnoxious and intrusive. They're about every 15 minutes and instead of being a minute long, they're like 20 seconds. "Hi. COVID bad. Do the stuff or get out. Thanks." And nowhere are they on a continuous loop.

"Well, people should follow the rules." Yes, but the issue is, when you over-spiel, people start tuning it out and ignoring it. Relentless spieling is NOT more effective.

On the plus side, though, it seems that the addition of "or you will be asked to leave" verbiage has resulted in more people properly wearing their mask, so that's a plus.
Well... that's kinda what Universal does all the time: short, in-your-face loops, that play over and over and over again... loudly.

From the first step into a Potter land, you're hit with the main theme non-stop.

And then out in the walkways, it's always some rad, fuzzy guitar lick over and over again.

The soundscape at Universal in general is awful.

So, no surprise that's how they handle announcements.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom