Universal now charging for their Express tickets...is Disney next?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
One thing that bothered me at USF was the fact that there was someone near the gates with a megaphone talking about the Express pass you pay for. But nary a word about using your pass to get the "regular" Express passes. Obviously this is their goal, to get you to spend more money, that's the goal of any theme park. But, IMHO, the rides aren't worth the price of admission to begin with. We were walking past several rides around noon, and there weren't any "regular" Express Passes left to be distributed. It was a joke! I wasn't a huge fan of Shrek, so I skipped Shrek 4-D and it's 2 hour line. I loved the movie "Twister", but the attraction, and I use that term loosely, just plain sucked. The only thing positive I see about paying for the Universal Express Pass is that it can get you thru USF faster, and back to Where Magic Lives ©.

Bottom line: Comparing USF/IOA and WDW (which could be a hundred threads by itself ;) ) is an apples-to-oranges comparison in many cases. This is one of them.

Bayou_Tigerfan

I stayed at a Universal hotel in June on company business, so I got "unlimited express" privileges. I went through everything I wanted to in IOA in about 4 hours. I honestly don't think Universal explains its Fastpass system very well. It seems like most people there don't understand it and I got some dirty looks from people who seemed to think I was cutting in line.

The other thing that bothered me was the FP queue areas. One of the things I really liked about IOA the first time I went was all the preshows and how entertaining and comfortable the queue lines were. With FP, you miss out on the best parts of these -- it was really a letdown for me. I almost wanted to go through the regular lines.

In a nutshell, Universal doesn't do FP nearly as well as Disney does FP.

Michael72688

I would pay anyday, they are definently worth it, at Disney you'll pay $55 to get in and not even get to ride all the rides if it's the busy season, but with this Universal pass you will have that opportunity, I'm getting passes for Universal, maybe I'll get the $25 things too

The_CEO

Originally posted by Michael72688
but with this Universal pass you will have that opportunity, I'm getting passes for Universal, maybe I'll get the $25 things too
Isn't my money in the trash.:rolleyes:

RogueHabit

These books have been around for ages. They had them last JUly (2002) when we went.

I assume that they still have the regular express pass machines in place though?

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
Universal Now Charging....

Working in the golf business, the biggest problem that I see with people who attend our facility for instruction is that of PATIENCE!!!
It seems that people in our society (including myself sometimes) lack the patience for anything in our lives that doesn't appear with the "click of a mouse".

Waiting in lines at Disney, to me, is part of the charm and experience of actually being at Disney. Now, having said that, I also agree that being a savvy Guest at Disney will allow you to get to more attractions in less time. But for those with children, that isn't always possible. That's where planning during the slower times of the year is best. For instance, planning your trip for early Dec., or early Jan. has worked very well for us. It's a little cooler, much less crowded than the summer time for sure. In most cases we are able to walk right on to rides. This last trip in Jan, we even walked right onto It's A Small World, and Peter Pan's Flight.

There were slight wait times at "e" rides (space mountain, BTM, TT, etc.) But again, I think that's part of the charm of Disney.
I don't see the need for any additional passes to be added at this point. I feel it would be a negative addition to the current FP system.

imagineersrock

Originally posted by blackride
This just proves to me that Universal isnt doing so hot in the income department. Everyone keeps saying Disney is doing bad but if Universal had to change the way they do tickets and raise prices then they are hurting.....imo

IMO pre-islands of adventure universal was hurting and disney was king... then with the opening of IOA, "oh my god universal orlando is the best freakin place on earth!!" people went universal crazy.. however after a few trips over the past few years, everyone realized... "uhh.. weve seen all this already." and that was the end of that. i think universal has now become a ''been there, done that'' type of a thing or a "you should definently see it at least once!" however it has very little return interest. opposed to disney, at which i believe the masses are now returning to.

-ALEX:cool:

djmatthews

I love IOA - great rides - I am a thrill seeker, and I love roller coasters, Sinbads is fantiastic as are Spiderman and ripsaw falls, Universal Studios is pretty pants though. However - they both lack the charm and magic of Disney.

RogueHabit

Let's not forget the bottom line here.

WDW & USF are BUSINESSES

They're in it to make money! If Universal have found a new angle and people are willing to stonk up the readies then so what???

Personally we didn't bother with this feature last year and I doubt we will bother with it this year, but it's nice to know that it's there if we wanted it.

djmatthews

Originally posted by Catch 22
Let's not forget the bottom line here.

WDW & USF are BUSINESSES

They're in it to make money! If Universal have found a new angle and people are willing to stonk up the readies then so what???

Sums it up well!

Testtrack321

Quick explination, but Universal Plus is basically the hotel privelages only for non-hotel patrons.

Also, Universal Hollywood had a fastpass like system up for a while before Disney even tried it

PhotoDave219

Originally posted by Testtrack321
Quick explination, but Universal Plus is basically the hotel privelages only for non-hotel patrons.

Also, Universal Hollywood had a fastpass like system up for a while before Disney even tried it

It doesnt matter to me who did what first. All i see is things from the customer's POV. I see this as another attempt to gauge the customer, essentially creating a caste system within levels of guests. I like the even playing field.

RogueHabit

Originally posted by PhotoDave219
I like the even playing field.
No disrespect meant here, but I find that this is normally the mantra of those who find themselves on the lower end of the scale. Maybe, maybe not.

Premium services cost money, if people don't want to pay then fine, but they shouldn't then complain about it. I appreciate that sometimes it is a matter of budget, but still.

Orlando parks are a business, they each have their angles and we, as the consomer, get to make our choices. That's the way of the world we live in.

markc

Originally posted by The_CEO
Disney had them before any park. Including Six Flags.

Actually, Disney wasn't the first park. A Similar system to fastpass was first used at Cedar Point close to ten years before Fastpass was ever created.

Brooke

I don't think this is a bad idea at all. If people hate long lines enough to pay 25 bucks, by all means - let them! I don't see what the big deal is...if you don't like the idea then don't buy it.

Also, I think this thread's title is very misleading. It makes it sound like the normal express passes cost money. I was all ready to explain how I was just there today and express passes were the same as always - free!

Disneyfalcon

Some of you may already know this but FYI if you don't.
Inside specially marked Kodak disposable cameras there are free Universal express passes. Not for every ride, they are good for one ride each on

IOA-Hulk coaster, Spider-Man, Jurassic Park, Dueling Dragons, and Dudley DO-Rights falls

or

Studios- Terminator, Jaws, Men in Black, Twister, and Back to the Future

Seems to me like a good deal if you're going. It covers the big rides, so between regular fast pass and this you should hit everything without forking out the $25. The cameras cost less then $10 (not to mention you get a cool underwater camera!). The coupons don't expire until 2/28/2004. The cameras have been out for a while, you have to look for the specially marked packages, at our Target they had them behind the normal boxes. It's the Kodak Max Water and Sport camera.

:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom