Universal maintenance issues

kap91

Original Poster
So, all I've heard about on this board is how great Universal maintenance and show quality is these days. Well, I just visited today for the first time in almost a year (great to be back in Orlando for more than a weekend!). I only did 3 things (Mummy, Transformers, and FJ) but just with these three this is what I noticed:

Mummy
The audio in the first scene was obscenely loud. Waayy louder than it's supposed to be.
The beetles drawer only spit out a handful of beetles.
The screens in that room were warped and pulled, and the black levels were elevated to make it clear it was projection.
The screens in the rotating room were also warped and pulled/sagging with black levels being way too elevated (think light grey)

Transformers
The vehicles seemed not to be lining up with the screens quite the way they used to. Too often I felt we were pointed towards only a corner of the screen. Other than that it looked fine - not many effects to break though.

Forbidden Journey
Oh dear where to start:

Background music in the greenhouse wasn't playing the majority of the time
The dumbledore projection had elevated black levels, clearly showing where the projection ended on the scrim.
The Snow machines and lighting for the snow machines was turned off. Hermione continued to complain about Ron making it snow though. Quite disappointed in this one as when it opened it was one of those things I saw and my jaw-dropped at the fact that such an effect was included.
Projections in both those rooms were not clearly in focus.
The wires holding up the candles in the room of requirement were clearly visible. Lighting change perhaps?
The virtual seams between the projectors in both the (new animation?) floo scenes were clearly evident.
The projection in the first turntable was out of sync
Spiders were not spitting.
No fog with the dementors
The dementor soul sucking effect with your faces on the mist wasn't working. It wasn't even working in "b" mode where they used to show the dark mark. Not even a mist screen.
Still after years the screens that show your on-ride photo are not in sync with the parties getting off the ride. This might be intentional to avoid backups on the stairs but you'd think they'd remove the screens then.

On a positive note, the projection itself on the carousels definitely looks better than it used to and I actually like the new ride profile.

Needless to say I was very disappointed. Universal's maintenance and show standards or lack thereof has historically been a weak point, and with all the talk here I really had thought things had changed drastically. I mean, I guess they have because I can certainly remember more show-stopping issues occurring in the past, none of these are exactly terrible, but they don't strike me as evidence of the fantastic praise I've been hearing. Could it really just be a fluke? I know things happen, and try to give parks the benefit of the doubt, but its hard for me to believe that all of these things just went down today.

Tom Morrow

I did notice everything you mentioned recently (except Transformers, didn't notice anything wrong), though I don't have a problem with scenes in Mummy being too loud. Better than too quiet like a lot of WDW rides. Also noticed a few issues with Men in Black animatronics and projections.

For a while everything at Universal really *was* looking superb, and outside of a few things here and there I think it still does. I posted a thread not too long ago about Forbidden Journey because that truly did stick out like a sore thumb, which was weird because its still their flagship attraction, and you'd think they'd have it in top shape with Diagon Alley about to open. Maybe all of the focus is on Diagon Alley?

I still maintain that Universal's ride show quality, overall, has been better than WDW's on average over the last few years.

kap91

Original Poster
I did notice everything you mentioned recently (except Transformers, didn't notice anything wrong), though I don't have a problem with scenes in Mummy being too loud. Better than too quiet like a lot of WDW rides.

Guess that's a personal preference thing because in general I feel universal's attractions are too loud. This however stuck out - the speakers were practically distorting and only in that scene . Guess I'm glad to know that I wasn't imagining the rest though.

JT3000

I posted a thread not too long ago about Forbidden Journey because that truly did stick out like a sore thumb, which was weird because its still their flagship attraction

The fact that it's such a flagship attraction is probably why it has these issues. Universal has a tendency to treat their favorite toys like workhorses, avoiding major downtime unless deemed absolutely necessary. Even Mummy, which has been open for a decade, has received only overnight work here and there.

Tom Morrow

Its not that I prefer louder attractions, its that a lot of WDW attractions have poorly balanced audio and often it is too quiet, like several sections of Tower of Terror (it depends on which one you ride, but it has been this way for years).

But yeah if the speakers are distorting, then yeah, that's too loud lol.

kap91

Original Poster
Its not that I prefer louder attractions, its that a lot of WDW attractions have poorly balanced audio and often it is too quiet, like several sections of Tower of Terror (it depends on which one you ride, but it has been this way for years).

Like I said, personal preference. I tend to think the exact opposite - with disney having the well balanced audio and universal not. I've certainly never encountered anything that seemed too quiet - and personally knowing the lengths to which they go to mix, design, and generally engineer their sound design I can be fairly sure it's not incompetence on either parties behalf. There is a wide variance though in what people find a comfortable level, age, exposure, previous experience, etc.

Tom Morrow

Like I said, personal preference. I tend to think the exact opposite - with disney having the well balanced audio and universal not. I've certainly never encountered anything that seemed too quiet - and personally knowing the lengths to which they go to mix, design, and generally engineer their sound design I can be fairly sure it's not incompetence on either parties behalf. There is a wide variance though in what people find a comfortable level, age, exposure, previous experience, etc.
I'm a bit of an audio snob, and the main thing I look for in attractions is "is the audio balanced and loud enough to be effective?" I can understand people finding some Universal attractions or something like Dinosaur too loud, but I get annoyed when an attraction's audio is not loud enough to fully immerse you - it should be loud enough to cover up the mechanical noises of the ride and low to medium volume of riders conversations. That, for whatever reason, is where a lot of WDW attractions have an issue. On certain shafts on Tower of Terror, you can not properly hear the ride if even one person is talking.

On a different note, the black level of the Forbidden Journey and Mummy projections bugged me too. It's like, come on! Take 5 minutes to lower the brightness setting on that projector!

kap91

Original Poster
I'm a bit of an audio snob, and the main thing I look for in attractions is "is the audio balanced and loud enough to be effective?" I can understand people finding some Universal attractions or something like Dinosaur too loud, but I get annoyed when an attraction's audio is not loud enough to fully immerse you - it should be loud enough to cover up the mechanical noises of the ride and low to medium volume of riders conversations. That, for whatever reason, is where a lot of WDW attractions have an issue. On certain shafts on Tower of Terror, you can not properly hear the ride if even one person is talking.

On a different note, the black level of the Forbidden Journey and Mummy projections bugged me too. It's like, come on! Take 5 minutes to lower the brightness setting on that projector!

Well I don't think people should talk on rides so maybe that's where we diverge lol.

I'm a bit of a color snob and the state of some of them....I mean it's not like they don't know how to calibrate projectors. They've got enough of them.

BigTxEars

They should spruce it up before the big grand opening crowds gets there. I would imaginer it takes a lot to keep it all working.

Small World always amazes me with all the moving parts it has :)

Some of the issues I mentioned may be related to a particular ride vehicle or just a fluke in that particular cycle. The Transformers issue you had is one of them. It sounds like that RV you rode may have fallen out of calibration due to several unbalanced loads over time. This will eventually cause the RV to fault while running the profile or when returning to it's home position. Again, it is not an overall ride problem, but just isolated to that vehicle.

The same can be said for the dementor effect not working properly. It has always been a pain. It makes one attempt to recognize a face. If it doesn't it goes to the dark mark, but that doesn't always work. The carousel being out of synch sounds like another issue related to that RV. It may also be that at that particular "Ride Start" it didn't synch correctly with the RVs. It may also gradually fall out of synch the more the ride runs. This would probably cause a fault and stop the ride at some point. A reset would then correct it. The photos at the end being offset are on purpose, and to show you that pictures are available.

Supposedly things are in the works for Mummy. The issue for the past two years is that they can't take it down for refurb because it is the second major ride in the park. I expect that it will get a nice refurb after Potter 2.0 has been open for a while.

Take the aforementioned with a grain of salt.

Tom Morrow

I would love to see some enhancements for Mummy. Seems like the top choice for attractions at Universal that aren't on the chopping block that could use some plussing.

Bairstow

I would love to see some enhancements for Mummy. Seems like the top choice for attractions at Universal that aren't on the chopping block that could use some plussing.

a dozen OLED screens with perfect blacks replacing the day-glo painted scrims would be a good start.
You know, assuming Universal would rather sell their firstborn children than install more animatronics.

sword.jpg

mummy48.jpg

BryceM

I've been irked by the lighting issues on Mummy for quite some time now.

Everything looks great until the turntable scene, where the scrims and all of the mechanics are clearly visible. The main coaster portion is too bright, in my opinion. Especially during/after the final drop to the end.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
[QUOTE="JT3000, post: 6169173, member: 13814".] Even Mummy, which has been open for a decade, has received only overnight work here and there.[/QUOTE]
Not exactly.

FJ and Mummy recently got new projectors. It sounds like the levels - an ongoing project - still haven't been balanced properly. They really should be by now, it sounds like work was more urgent elsewhere. If nothing is done then it is unacceptable.

seascape

[/QUOTE]
Not exactly.

FJ and Mummy recently got new projectors. It sounds like the levels - an ongoing project - still haven't been balanced properly. They really should be by now, it sounds like work was more urgent elsewhere. If nothing is done then it is unacceptable.[/QUOTE]
Another example of your making excuses for Universal but if it were Disney you would blast them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom