News Universal lays off workers - Is Disney far behind them to make up for losses??

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Didn't Universal keep most on payroll when Disney laid off? If yes, Disney's only going to hire what's needed rather than being reactive like Universal needing to fire after being overstaffed. (Acknowledging that "overstaffed" is partially management speak for "not overstaffed but we need to cut costs")

mwf5555

Original Poster
It appears the roles at UNI were non-Guest facing roles that may be "too expensive" to keep on......

Excerpts from link above:

"...nearly an entire department was let go..."

"In many cases, these were senior Team Members with over 20 years of history with Universal Orlando before being laid off. While not verified, the cuts seemed to only affect workers who do not deal directly with guests. These are back of house positions such as: marketing, events, secretarial work, operations management and Universal Creative."

Mouse Trap

It appears the roles at UNI were non-Guest facing roles that may be "too expensive" to keep on......

"In many cases, these were senior Team Members with over 20 years of history with Universal Orlando before being laid off. While not verified, the cuts seemed to only affect workers who do not deal directly with guests. These are back of house positions such as: marketing, events, secretarial work, operations management and Universal Creative."

It's hardly ever the in-park employees that get let go. I'm sure there are instances of this happening and very much could be happening this time around, but the axe usually comes down a lot harder and faster in corporate offices for hospitality companies.

I feel bad because I know of many employees who were recently told by senior leadership that Universal Parks & Resorts has the full support of Comcast NBCUniversal and their core businesses are strong enough to help them survive the storm. Even if the writing was on the wall, it sucks to be given that sort of false hope.

I also standby my opinion of Universal continuing to pay most of their employees while the parks were shutdown was a terrible business decision. Many would have made more than their salary at Universal through the expanded unemployment benefits and would've saved Universal a huge sum and may not have caused them to rush into reopening.

Last edited:

Giss Neric

If Disney this did, it would be all over twitter and people would be enraged but it's Universal so they get a pass.

Very sad news though. If non-facing guests workers are mostly let go it means they are overstaffed which is weird cause I would assume the front facing the guests workers would be harder to get and are understaffed.

Miss Bella

If Disney this did, it would be all over twitter and people would be enraged but it's Universal so they get a pass.

Very sad news though. If non-facing guests workers are mostly let go it means they are overstaffed which is weird cause I would assume the front facing the guests workers would be harder to get and are understaffed.
Why would people be enraged if it was Disney? I fully expect there to be layoffs in every sector of the travel and hospitality industry. I doubt this comes as a big shock to anybody.

Lilofan

Expect to see more foreclosure on housing, pawn shops doing a brisk business, and the used car industry to be flooded with a number of cars as laid off staff try to sell off assets.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom