Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens May 22 2025

lebeau

eb6.jpg

Stripes

Premium Member
Universal Studios Beijing model and artwork was posted on the disneyandmore site (not sure if the link is allowed.

Just wondering if we can expect some of the lands, attractions etc to be duplicated in the Orlando park
http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2018/09/universal-studios-beijing-update.html?m=1
What a joke! The only thing that's new here is JW and some kiddy areas. I swear, UNI "insiders" overpromise every time. And people wonder why I'm skeptical (and tired) of the "It's gonna beat this and it's gonna beat that" mantra that's forever paraded about.

UNI needs to drop FORREC asap. Too bad they've already partnered with them for the new park in Orlando, which when I heard my heart sank like a rock.

Last edited:

lebeau

What a joke! The only thing that's new here is JW and some kiddy areas. I swear, UNI "insiders" overpromise every time. And people wonder why I'm skeptical (and tired) of the "It's gonna beat this and it's gonna beat that" mantra that's forever paraded about.

UNI needs to drop FOREC asap. Too bad they've already partnered with them for the new park in Orlando, which when I heard my heart sank like a rock.

It's hard to respond when your comment is so vague. When have the insiders ever over-promised? I never heard anyone talk up Fallon or Fast & Furious. There was some hype for Kong, but the attraction pretty much lives up to what was promised (great queue, animatronic at the end but other than that a clone of UHS tram). Are we going back to Gringott's? Insiders talked that up, sure, but they also admitted the budget had been cut and the ride didn't live up to its potential.

I'm skeptical and tired of the people who complain about everything just because they haven't liked the last couple of rides.

Stripes

Premium Member
It's hard to respond when your comment is so vague. When have the insiders ever over-promised? I never heard anyone talk up Fallon or Fast & Furious. There was some hype for Kong, but the attraction pretty much lives up to what was promised (great queue, animatronic at the end but other than that a clone of UHS tram). Are we going back to Gringott's? Insiders talked that up, sure, but they also admitted the budget had been cut and the ride didn't live up to its potential.
All I can say is humans are forgetful animals.

Disneyhead'71

UNI needs to drop FORREC asap. Too bad they've already partnered with them for the new park in Orlando, which when I heard my heart sank like a rock.
We always knew the first gate in Beijing was going to be a greatest hit park. The 2nd gate is where most of the new original stuff will be.

For the 3rd dry park in Orlando, we will be getting JW and Kung Fu Panda from Beijing.

As far a FORREC, they do some great work like The Port of Entry at IOA. And some pretty blah stuff like Canada's Wonderland. But I believe Thinkwell is doing most of the heavy lifting for Orlando's new park.

GLaDOS

I'm skeptical and tired of the people who complain about everything just because they haven't liked the last couple of rides.

Seriously. And it's insane to me when people complain about Gringotts around here. Guests scores for that ride are through the roof.

I see a lot of "None of this is new!" bandied about regarding Beijing. While that's true...why does anyone care? Were you really gearing up to visit Universal Beijing? I think JW and KFP are both going to be great. The rest of the stuff they're cloning is super popular. I don't get what the issue is. Of course it's going to be a greatest hits when they're going into a new market.

Plus, it's not like Disney insiders aren't constantly overhyping Disney's additions. Nor are people complaining that WDW is getting a slew of clones over the next few years, or that SWGE is being cloned immediately.

admiralDax

Overall transportation both between the parks and hotels as well as arrival, parking and departure for day guests is going to be a really interesting thing to watch. That area of the city is renowned for ridiculous traffic and there is only a small amount of land available to expand the roads to support a significantly increased flow of traffic. Like every problem, it's one that can be solved but it will not be cheap or fast and it will not come without a lot of local community battles. Any roadway that routes traffic away from the I-Drive hotels and merchants will be resisted pretty aggressively and will likely spend years in the courts. My sense is all of the infrastructure issues involved in supporting this development will be the most complex and schedule impacting part of it all.

Not to mention that they will not be able to put buildings on all of that land either. The Water Management District and zoning is going to require a whole water management plan (lots of retention ponds) that will eat up a good bit of that land as well..
Any chance we'll see the revival of plans for a <high speed> rail system between MCO and the convention center (and now Universal) ?

BrianLo

Seriously. And it's insane to me when people complain about Gringotts around here. Guests scores for that ride are through the roof.

Gringotts eschews basic attraction design. It's not a well designed ride. But it's a beloved IP and not Fast and the Furious or Jimmy Fallon.

I see a lot of "None of this is new!" bandied about regarding Beijing. While that's true...why does anyone care? Were you really gearing up to visit Universal Beijing?

Actually, Yes

Plus, it's not like Disney insiders aren't constantly overhyping Disney's additions. Nor are people complaining that WDW is getting a slew of clones over the next few years, or that SWGE is being cloned immediately.

I complain about WDW's inability to build new custom attractions and over-reliance on stealing other parks projects not infrequently. I still maintain SWGE's copy and paste job to DHS is terribly sloppy and it shows. It is not designed for what that park needed, it's only designed for what DL needs. But, I throw it into the Hogsmeade bracket. I'm feeling a bit flat on the WDSP redesign for the similar reasons.

Do I have the required cred to hate on Beijing?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom