Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

TalkToEthan

They've admitted that for years now, just taking time to actually
I have not seen Universal straight out admit it until this “there are zero screens” statement.

Although I know Universal since the awful Fast n Furious years ago has been taking note of guest dissatisfaction of screen reliance.

MrPromey

I have not seen Universal straight out admit it until this “there are zero screens” statement.

Although I know Universal since the awful Fast n Furious years ago has been taking note of guest dissatisfaction of screen reliance.
Hagrids having no screens beyond the queue was such a nice surprise!

I'm sure they've noticed that in the five years it's been open, the line has never normalized.

ThemeParkTraveller

…..a number like that really cuts into the thrill side of things

For me the ultimate attraction is a 2 part formula: theme 60% and thrill 40%

What it lacks in physical thrills it should make up for in the psychological thrill of the jump track moments. My bigger concern is the low capacity of the ride and that it's only one minute in length.

ToTBellHop

Ouch!!
…..another Tron
Are any of the coasters in the park MORE than a minute in length? Maybe the HtTYD coaster.

My concern over DK is that with those boxy cars, I doubt you'll really be aware of jumping the track (and certainly not from the back row), so it's all show for a ground-level gimmick. I've never seen a mine cart coaster with such a low height requirement, so it must not be intense at all. Will it be worth waiting 2 hours for?

Thus far, nothing they've done with the Nintendo contract has been particularly impressive to me. Which is...surprising.

Sorcerer Mickey

Are any of the coasters in the park MORE than a minute in length? Maybe the HtTYD coaster.

My concern over DK is that with those boxy cars, I doubt you'll really be aware of jumping the track (and certainly not from the back row), so it's all show for a ground-level gimmick. I've never seen a mine cart coaster with such a low height requirement, so it must not be intense at all. Will it be worth waiting 2 hours for?

Thus far, nothing they've done with the Nintendo contract has been particularly impressive to me. Which is...surprising.
My six-year-old says otherwise. Perhaps the bright, colorful magical plumber is not only for grown men.

mickEblu

…..a number like that really cuts into the thrill side of things

For me the ultimate attraction is a 2 part formula: theme 60% and thrill 40%

Yeah I feel like 40 inches was the number I was looking for. And remember this is Universal and their height requirements always seem much more aggressive than Disney.

mickEblu

What it lacks in physical thrills it should make up for in the psychological thrill of the jump track moments. My bigger concern is the low capacity of the ride and that it's only one minute in length.

One minute length? That’s no good. It’s really too bad. My imagination went wild with the possibilities for Mario Kart. A DK mine coaster has so much potential. Both concepts deserve rides on a much larger scale.

ToTBellHop

My six-year-old says otherwise. Perhaps the bright, colorful magical plumber is not only for grown men.
Perhaps they need to build a land that will still attract people in 5 years after the luster is gone.

No one plays Donkey Kong Country and thinks, "this should be a kiddie coaster." The Yoshi ride makes sense because he's largely used as a cute stuffed animal now.

It is surprising to see a park like IoA, packed with big kid coasters, and then this park gets 3 family coasters? Where's the balance?

Last edited:

Andrew25

I'm not a fan of some of the choices Universal made on the Donkey Coaster (way too short, low-capacity, etc.), but I wouldn't call it a "kiddie coaster". Universal AND Nintendo wanted family experiences, and I think they made the correct choice intensity-wise for Donkey Kong. The thrill comes (and should) from the "jumping the track" gimmick, not the coaster itself.

Epic Universe Roller Coaster Summary (mostly on par with just about every other coaster in the world)
Donkey Kong Coaster - ~60-sec in length -> similar intensity to Big Thunder
Werewolf Spinning Coaster - ~50-60 secs in length, similar experience/intensity to Flight of the Hippogriff (albeit a bit more thrilling)
Starfall Racers - approximately ~90 secs in length, similar experience/intensity to Velocicoaster
Hiccup's Wing Gliders - probably 90-120 secs in length, similar experience to Slinky Dog Dash, a bit more intense than SDD

Space Mountain is only ~60 secs once you exit the lift and into the final brake run.

So what is going to be this parks signature attraction(s)? I’m guessing the Monsters Ride and/ or Harry Potter Ride.
Universal would define it as Mario Kart, Dark Universe Dark Ride and the Ministry of Magic.

It is surprising to see a park like IoA, packed with big kid coasters, and then this park gets 3 family coasters? Where's the balance?
From Day 1, the goal of Epic Universe was to create a far more family-oriented theme park than a teen/young-adult park like IOA. They chose the right direction, and it's not like "thrill rides" are only tied to coasters. The Monsters & Ministry Dark Rides will both offer thrills.

The park is fairly balanced from an intensity perspective.

ToTBellHop

Sorry but 36” is a kiddie coaster. 2-year olds will be riding. At least it’s themed better than Barnstormer. Trolls or Goofy match that age group a bit better than DK.

sonoma15

My concern over DK is that with those boxy cars, I doubt you'll really be aware of jumping the track (and certainly not from the back row), so it's all show for a ground-level gimmick.
You will be able to see the track jumping from the back row (well maybe not if you are short and have someone really tall in front of you), the trains have stadium seating for that purpose. The effect will look great in the front row too, based off fan recreation videos.

ToTBellHop

You will be able to see the track jumping from the back row (well maybe not if you are short and have someone really tall in front of you), the trains have stadium seating for that purpose. The effect will look great in the front row too, based off fan recreation videos.
The only coaster trains that give me a clear view of the track right in front of me are ones with nothing in front of the front row. 🤷‍♂️

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom