Universal Epic Universe Lands poll

Which land are you most excited for at Universal's Epic Universe?

• Nintendo

Votes: 30 39.5%
  • How to Train Your Dragon

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Classic Monsters

Votes: 27 35.5%
  • Fantastic Beasts

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • The Hub/Entrance area

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters

The Grand Inquisitor

Original Poster
Which land are you most excited for at Universal's Epic Universe?
For me it's a hard pick. I'm super excited for the whole park! But I would say it's a tie for me between How to Train Your Dragon and Classic Monsters. Dragons is my favorite animated movie franchise besides Toy Story and the best Dreamworks movies. I'm also a big Classic Monsters fan as well. Nintendo and Fantastic Beats will still be awesome, but I'm more excited for the other 2.

The Grand Inquisitor

Original Poster
For me it's a hard pick. I'm super excited for the whole park! But I would say it's a tie for me between How to Train Your Dragon and Classic Monsters. Dragons is my favorite animated movie franchise besides Toy Story and the best Dreamworks movies. I'm also a big Classic Monsters fan as well. Nintendo and Fantastic Beats will still be awesome, but I'm more excited for the other 2.
1587844967691.png

Who could this not be a fantastic theme park land?

BrianLo

I'm actually in a relatively four-way split tie. I get the feeling that theoretically Nintendo and Fantastic Beasts will be the strongest lands due to retail and attractions. Both in terms of being the more known quantities.

But due to the later worldwide buildout in Orlando for Nintendo and the lesser nature of Fantastic Beasts IP - I'd say it's a really equal four way split. The hub-land I guess would be the weakest, but can't fault it for being a hub. I hope it looks a little more foliaged than the purposefully vague concept art.

I honestly have nothing to complain about the nature of their anticipated direction of this park. It's all quite strongly directed and four-quadrant type material. This is my number one or two project (depending on how TDS expansion compares, but it's a bit hard to put a new park and an expansion head to head).

I would not change anything about it at this time, which is rare.

The Grand Inquisitor

Original Poster
I'm actually in a relatively four-way split tie. I get the feeling that theoretically Nintendo and Fantastic Beasts will be the strongest lands due to retail and attractions. Both in terms of being the more known quantities.

But due to the later worldwide buildout in Orlando for Nintendo and the lesser nature of Fantastic Beasts IP - I'd say it's a really equal four way split. The hub-land I guess would be the weakest, but can't fault it for being a hub. I hope it looks a little more foliaged than the purposefully vague concept art.

I honestly have nothing to complain about the nature of their anticipated direction of this park. It's all quite strongly directed and four-quadrant type material. This is my number one or two project (depending on how TDS expansion compares, but it's a bit hard to put a new park and an expansion head to head).

I would not change anything about it at this time, which is rare.
I agree it's hard to pick. All 4 lands will be great and are fantastic choices. This really seems like this will be Universal's take on Tokyo Disney Sea.

lebeau

Hands down the Monsters. I really have very little attachment to any of the IP going into this park. Most of my affection for Harry Potter comes from its presence at Universal and I was bored to tears by the most recent Fantastic Beasts movie which is rumored to be providing the setting for this land. Nintendo land looks like fun, but I am not a gamer. I took my oldest daughter to see the first How to Train Your Dragon when she was little and I enjoyed it but I haven't followed the series at all. Even without much familiarity, vikings and dragons are cool. At the end of the day, it's all going to be about execution for me. My favorite land will be the one that is best realized. The only IP that has a leg up on any of the others is the monsters.

During all of this social distancing, we've been playing more board games. Any monsters fans out there should check out Horrified. It's a fun cooperative board game based on the Universal monsters. It's got the kids looking forward to the new land without having actually watched any of the old movies.

The Grand Inquisitor

Original Poster
I wonder if the Classic Monsters likenesses' will resemble the actors that played them, like Bela Legosi and Lon Chaney Jr.?
I don't think so from what I remember seeing on the Universal Forums. That might be why the land will be centered around Frankenstein's Monster instead of Dracula because Bela Legosi's estate would not sign off on his likeliness. They might go the Halloween Horror Night route but make them less gory and a bit more family friendly.

JT3000

I'm a HHN nut who's excited to see what they do with the monsters & having a year-round horror-centric atmosphere somewhere in the parks, but I gave the nod to Nintendo simply because it's expected to have more content.

Jphaddad96

I'm very excited for FB and Nintendo, but specially Fantastic Beasts because I'm a very Harry Potter fan and every time I go to HP lands at Universal I pass a lot of time over there, it's my favorite land in Orlando parks. Im super excited for what's coming to FB, specially if the minister of magic it's constructed and also if the Theme Park Stop rumours are truth, you will have the chance to use the wands in one of the new rides...

Josh Hendy

I don't think so from what I remember seeing on the Universal Forums. That might be why the land will be centered around Frankenstein's Monster instead of Dracula because Bela Legosi's estate would not sign off on his likeliness. They might go the Halloween Horror Night route but make them less gory and a bit more family friendly.
I have a theory that this is why there will be no Mary Poppins attraction at Epcot. The 2 principal stars will want loadsadough (unlike when they signed off on Great Movie Ride) and an attraction without their likenesses is almost inconceivable.

The Grand Inquisitor

Original Poster
I have a theory that this is why there will be no Mary Poppins attraction at Epcot. The 2 principal stars will want loadsadough (unlike when they signed off on Great Movie Ride) and an attraction without their likenesses is almost inconceivable.
Either that or Disney is going to cheap out on the EPCOT overhaul.

BrianLo

I do wonder if the new park will be slated for HHN. Has there been any talk of that @Disneyhead'71 ?

The mix of IP's are all very Halloween integrate-able and presumably the park will have some more dead space expansion pads for the next number of years.

JT3000

I do wonder if the new park will be slated for HHN. Has there been any talk of that @Disneyhead'71 ?

The mix of IP's are all very Halloween integrate-able and presumably the park will have some more dead space expansion pads for the next number of years.

I'm 99.9% certain we will never see HHN at Epic Universe.

The first issue is venues -- where do you put ten haunted houses? USF has the soundstages, parade buildings, Sprung tents, etc. which make an event that revolves around temporary walkthrough attractions practical. Will the new park have equivalent spaces waiting to serve such a purpose? Probably not.

The next issue is capacity. This is the main reason why the event left IOA. The most horrific thing at HHN is the crowds, and the park needs to be able to accommodate them. With Epic Universe's layout that requires people to enter & exit every land in the same place, to and from a shared hub area, this could be a serious issue for crowd flow. We also don't know how many people the park comfortably holds yet.

And then there's the cooperation of the IP holders. Will they even allow the event to take place in their sections of the park? We already know Fantastic Beasts is a no-go. They aren't allowed to do anything HHN-related in Wizarding World, besides having it open as normal. Will Nintendo allow it? Probably not. So despite having a permanent land based around horror, you also have an entire half of the park that likely can't even be used.

What I could see them doing is some sort of smaller scale Halloween celebration in the Monsters land, sort of like how Seuss Landing has Grinchmas, but nothing approaching the scale of HHN.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom