Universal Demolishing Soundstage 44

Millionaire2K

I would not be shocked to see monsters go. I would hate it... BUT it is almost always closed.

Removing Monsters and taking the street between 44 and NY and you have a HUGE lot.

Captain Chaos

Supposedly the walls are actually surrounding the plaza park that is by SS44 as well... And it looks like some internal demo has already started to take place... They weren't kidding about fast tracking this thing...

AswaySuller

in all honesty I'm not sure I've seen Monsters open for years...

I consider myself a big universal fan and have visited the park over 40 times... but I don't even really know what it is let alone been inside there...

A monster themed cafe would be better suited out in city walk IMO<

maxairmike

It has been open this year during busier days, but still is only open for about 4 hours even then. I didn't see it open at all in 2010, and wasn't at the park but a few times last year so don't know if it was mostly closed or just doing the 4 hour lunch periods. In terms of a food venue they really don't lose anything getting rid of it.

Thrill Seeker

Transformers would make a VERY interesting addition to USF. Add in Despicable Me, Potter Expansion, Cinematic Spectacular and the Parade and you have yourself a drastically improved park from where it was a year ago. This would hopefully prompt Disney to announce something big, hopefully for it's own Studios park.

From a guest perspective, I'd be probably inclined to spend more time at USF than I would at IoA and maybe even DHS and DAK if this comes true...

lazyboy97o

Adding something big, like Transformers, to the front of the park would make some sense before Harry Potter would make some sense. Another big attraction would help draw some attention aware from Harry Potter and siphon off a bit of the mad dash to the back of the park.

maxairmike

Adding something big, like Transformers, to the front of the park would make some sense before Harry Potter would make some sense. Another big attraction would help draw some attention aware from Harry Potter and siphon off a bit of the mad dash to the back of the park.

And it would help keep guests flowing in via the Hogwarts Express into USF moving to the front of the park in larger numbers to spread out the crowd a bit.

Merlin0402

Original Poster
Screamscape has picked up the story today and is reporting that height balloon testing is occurring as high up as 75ft:

2013/2014 - New Attraction - Rumor - (6/18/12) Odd things are afoot at Universal Studios Florida this past week, especially where Soundstage 44 is concerned. SS#44 is otherwise known as the former home to the short-lived Hercules / Xena attraction, and Murder She Wrote before that. The closed building has served a number of behind the scenes purposes over the years, but I believe was last used for guests as a haunt for The Director several years ago.
Previously work permits were issued for Halloween Horror Nights in seven locations for this year’s haunts. As in past years, it looks like they were reusing the old locations from the past once again, with the exception of the old Jaws queue house being dropped due to demolition, and the new Parade Building structure was also left off the list. As you can see as posted at HHNRumors.com, added to the list was a work order to include “BLD44 HERC&XENA” for a temporary haunt for HHN 2012.
This week things got weird… as a demolition permit was suddenly issued for Building 44. This was followed by the quick setup of heavy duty construction barrier walls surrounding the building and digging machines have already begun to tear up a few large holes in the ground behind the walls. If that wasn’t enough, there are also rumors claiming that Universal Creative performed some kind of balloon test on the site, floating up the balloons fairly high into the sky extending from the corners of Building 44, which could indicate we could be looking at a 50-75 foot structure being planned for the site.
Of course the internet is in a complete tizzy over this already because something is coming… and whatever it is, it looks to be something not only just approved at the last second, but something they are in a big hurry to fast-track into reality. Perhaps something to act as a stop-gap attraction in the off-years while we wait for the London side of the Potterverse. Along this same line of thought… if they are going to fast-track something there is a good chance it could be a copy of another attraction built or under construction elsewhere. ParkRumors has their own thoughts on some of this as well, along with details about the permits that report that these are attached to Universal Creative and not the park, which also is a good indication that this is for a new attraction.
It wont be the new Sesame ride rumored to be on the way to Singapore since the SeaWorld/ Busch parks have the rights to Sesame in the USA. Most of the attractions in the other Universal parks are already in place in Orlando as well with few exceptions. The site is really too small for a King Kong 3-D 360 style attraction… which has left everyone to wonder if there was a change of heart about bringing Transformers to Orlando after all. The ride has been an enormous hit for both the Singapore and Hollywood parks, which has caused some increased guests demand for it to come to Orlando. I’m not saying it is Transformers yet… but mearly something to keep in mind while we dig a little deeper. Stay tuned while we wait for our spies to report in.

HenryMystic

I find it mildly annoying, that screamscape credits Parkrumors for this when Theme Park Insider, Parkscope, and OU were the ones who really broke the story.

That being said, USF is undergoing a DCA-like transformation. The park will be noticeably different 3 years from now. Crazy to think about. In 3 years, barring any surprise additions to DHS, USF will clearly be the best "studio park" in Orlando...and perhaps the world.

Thrill Seeker

I find it mildly annoying, that screamscape credits Parkrumors for this when Theme Park Insider, Parkscope, and OU were the ones who really broke the story.

That being said, USF is undergoing a DCA-like transformation. The park will be noticeably different 3 years from now. Crazy to think about. In 3 years, barring any surprise additions to DHS, USF will clearly be the best "studio park" in Orlando...and perhaps the world.

I agree. It was already a good park, but by adding Despicable Me, Cinematic Spectacular and the Superstar Parade this year, Transformers in 2013/14 and Diagon Alley (Gringotts Bank Coaster/Hogwarts Express) in 2015ish, it would clearly become one of the best theme parks in the state, if not the country.

I'd hope that since DCA is finished and most of the Fantasyland Expansion opens this year, hopefully WDI will turn their attention to another park. DAK needs a lot of help, but out of all of the stateside parks, DHS needs a DCA style makeover. Maybe not costing quite as much as DCA, but adding some major attractions, defining the theme of the park a bit better and giving existing attractions new life (GMR specifically) would work wonders for turning DHS into the park it could and should be.

AswaySuller

I'm so exited about the prospect of this being Transformers...

I rolled my eyes at Jaws going for potter 2.0 but if amity becomes potter 2.0 and xena becomes Transformers then Bravo universal.... Bravo.

Captain Chaos

I'm not saying it is Transformers but.... it is Transformers LOL...

In USH the sq ft for Transformers is 60,000... HOWEVER, the base is only 30,000 (two floors for the attraction)... The base for SS44??? 30,000 sq, ft...

AswaySuller

Best news in a long time if you are right...

A part of me is thinking shhhhhhh let's be quiet I don't want another van halsing incident.

MrNonacho

Premium Member
I'm not saying it is Transformers but.... it is Transformers LOL...

In USH the sq ft for Transformers is 60,000... HOWEVER, the base is only 30,000 (two floors for the attraction)... The base for SS44??? 30,000 sq, ft...

By my measurements, SS44 is about 130' square. That's only 16,900 square feet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom