Universal before expansion

speck76

You will probably have luck finding IOA construction pics, but Universal was so long ago, before digital cameras, and before the internet was popular.

Michael72688

Original Poster
Originally posted by speck76
You will probably have luck finding IOA construction pics, but Universal was so long ago, before digital cameras, and before the internet was popular.

I've seen pics for IoA I was wondering if there was any of City Walk or the garages, stuff like that

AEfx

Originally posted by marni1971
Here is a scan from the opening summer guidebook. Man, that was NOT a good opening... we were so dissapointed we demanded (and got) our money back!

Haha, no kidding.

I went during the second month, and Kongfrontation, Jaws, and the ride portion of Earthquake were down.

Now, this is before even Back to the Future was finished (though the building was there), let alone MIB or T2:3D.

My favorite ride from that trip was ET - because it was really the only "ride" functioning.

Still, I enjoyed USF - the atmosphere can't be beat. And I miss Ghostbusters - that was a kick-butt show. I didn't get to ride Kong and Jaws until years later - and when I did I literally went on both over 40 times in a few-week period just because I had wanted to so bad when I was a kid. :)

AEfx

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
yup.. first year, I went... hated it, got our cash back.

didn't return till 96, it totally changed. They were having some rollerblading thing in the park, a private demo for Rollerblade, and they had roller hockey set up in the park. It was great.

didn't return then till IOA Employee/Florida Resident previews. I've had an AP since

MrPromey

AEfx said:
Haha, no kidding.

I went during the second month, and Kongfrontation, Jaws, and the ride portion of Earthquake were down.

Now, this is before even Back to the Future was finished (though the building was there), let alone MIB or T2:3D.

My favorite ride from that trip was ET - because it was really the only "ride" functioning.

Still, I enjoyed USF - the atmosphere can't be beat. And I miss Ghostbusters - that was a kick-butt show. I didn't get to ride Kong and Jaws until years later - and when I did I literally went on both over 40 times in a few-week period just because I had wanted to so bad when I was a kid. :)

AEfx

Jaws was intended to open with the park but remained shuttered for years after park opening due to a faulty ride system that was blamed at different times on the company that designed the attraction as well as the one that constructed it. The lawsuits that flew between those two companies and Universal probably helped keep it closed a year or so longer than it needed to be.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
MrPromey said:
Jaws was intended to open with the park but remained shuttered for years after park opening due to a faulty ride system

Yep, there was a slanging match between the ride designers and USF, but it did open for a very short time in 1990, in its original form. I got it on video in June 1990, when it opened for 3 hours when we visited.... you can see why it was rebuilt! A lot of the effects didn`t work (eg in the boathouse the props moved, the music got really dramatic, and NOTHING happened).. at the end of the ride the skippers facial expression and comments really said it all!

maelstrom

This thread is a bit old, but I wanted to reply anyhow.

I went to Universal on opening day (celebrities and such were there). Nothing worked right. We were able to hand in our opening day tickets to recieve tickets to come back another day since nothing worked. I remember the old Hard Rock Cafe and the long walk out there. Nickelodeon didn't always seem so buried (Universal has a very confusing layout, I think). And the Bates Motel and Psycho house! I have pictures of this stuff, amazingly enough. I don't remember when IOA opened at all; it was just like, all of a sudden, there's a new park.

WeirdOne

marni1971 said:
Yep, there was a slanging match between the ride designers and USF, but it did open for a very short time in 1990, in its original form. I got it on video in June 1990, when it opened for 3 hours when we visited.... you can see why it was rebuilt! A lot of the effects didn`t work (eg in the boathouse the props moved, the music got really dramatic, and NOTHING happened).. at the end of the ride the skippers facial expression and comments really said it all!

Hey, I know you encode videos and all. Would it be TOO much trouble for you to encode this for me. I'd love to see any old Universal footage.

I remember gong when I was young (it sucked), going during construction (better), going to the IoA previews (amazing), and now I'm an AP holder. - The WeirdOne :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom