Universal and IOA first timer with questions

pixietwin

Original Poster
We are going to Disney for 10 days in November. DH and I just won two of the 2 park 7 day passes from the superbowl promo. We're thinking of adding days to the beginning of our trip because we can't work in a second vacation this year.

The free tickets are good for 7 consecutive days, but I am wondering how 4 days at the two parks would be? I've read that some people do both in a day! DH loves thrill rides. I get motion sick, so I won't be doing any coasters, wet rides or anything that would hurt my back (2 herniated discs). I've read that Universal simulator rides do offer some stationary seating. If so, that would be awesome. (always wished that Disney's Dinosaur ride could be done stationary). My back is tricky tricky so I'm a wuss when it comes to lifting, rocking or bumping. Anyway, I do understand that DH will enjoy Universal more than I will because of the thrill rides. Surely there are things there that I could enjoy? Advice? thanks

Matpez

When in November?

Uni/IOA can typically be done in 2 full days unless it is a very busy week (Thanksgiving time).

I know off the top of my head that Shrek, Twister and Terminator offer stationary seats/areas for sure. I think there are more, but I'm not sure.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
When in November?

Uni/IOA can typically be done in 2 full days unless it is a very busy week (Thanksgiving time).

I know off the top of my head that Shrek, Twister and Terminator offer stationary seats/areas for sure. I think there are more, but I'm not sure.
Neutron

Your husband wil enjoy IOA, but I am trying to think if there is any ride that a person with a herniated disk who does not want to get wet can ride at IOA??? Even Cat in the Hat is jerky!!!

That said IOA has ok theming. Also you will really enjoy Universal Studios.

brent2124

You can definatley do both USF and IOA in two and maybe three days top. It is worth it to go since you have a free ticket but if you go there first and Disney second it wil give you a better appreciation for WDW.

sknydave

We are going to Disney for 10 days in November. DH and I just won two of the 2 park 7 day passes from the superbowl promo. We're thinking of adding days to the beginning of our trip because we can't work in a second vacation this year.

The free tickets are good for 7 consecutive days, but I am wondering how 4 days at the two parks would be? I've read that some people do both in a day! DH loves thrill rides. I get motion sick, so I won't be doing any coasters, wet rides or anything that would hurt my back (2 herniated discs). I've read that Universal simulator rides do offer some stationary seating. If so, that would be awesome. (always wished that Disney's Dinosaur ride could be done stationary). My back is tricky tricky so I'm a wuss when it comes to lifting, rocking or bumping. Anyway, I do understand that DH will enjoy Universal more than I will because of the thrill rides. Surely there are things there that I could enjoy? Advice? thanks

Read one of Dr. Sarno's books. Mind over back pain or Healing Back pain. You can get them at Amazon for about 5 bucks

pixietwin

Original Poster
The trip is planned for week before Thanksgiving at Disney so we'd hit USF and IOA probably around Nov 12 thru 14

teebin

When in November?

Terminator seats do rise at one point in the show... maybe three or four inches. And is it this show that the seats drop fast at the end? That might be a concern, if only three to four inches. I know that one of the 3D shows has the seat drop and I cannot think of any others that have rising seats (that would need to drop).

teebin

In November, you can easily do IOA and Universal in 3 or 4 days.

Hmm, what constitues "do"? I visited IOA in 1999 five days in a row.

Since moving here, I have been there at least 70 times. There are still new things to see as the park is incredibly detailed. I guess if going to a park and racing past the beautiful theming (horrors) and doing every ride ONCE (horrors) you could race around and do everything.

Racing is not my idea of visiting a theme park, although I realize that those with young children don't have much of a choice.

pixietwin

Original Poster
Terminator seats do rise at one point in the show... maybe three or four inches. And is it this show that the seats drop fast at the end? That might be a concern, if only three to four inches. I know that one of the 3D shows has the seat drop and I cannot think of any others that have rising seats (that would need to drop).

Well this is the kind of thing that I need to know. Thank you. Since I've never been, I have no idea of which rides to avoid. Put it this way, Kilimanjaro Safaris was a complete nightmare when we went to Animal Kingdom. I went with my family and boarded the ride with 3 other couples who were all riding electric scooters (as was I). We were definitely the handicap bus. That lady went as hard and fast as she could. She hit every dang pothole possible. I went up and down at one point so bad that I really hurt my back.. I was in tears after the ride. To this day, it gives me problems that I've never had before. All of the other people were elderly and they were upset as well. I don't know how they made it off. I was so very disappointed at how she seemed oblivious and careened thru the park. Because of her actions, I am now afraid to ride many rides that I thought would be okay. I know that the safari ride is not smooth, but when I've seen it on tv specials, it doesn't resemble what we went thru in any way shape or form. That ride ruined my last Disney trip.

This is also why I was excited to see that some of the rides can be done in stationary seats. I had no idea that at Hollywood Studios, the Star Wars ride can also be stationary. I've been afraid to do it and never have...but I read about this after we returned. Next trip, I want to ask if we can do it without motion.

csm

In November, you can easily do IOA and Universal in 3 or 4 days.

In November, you can easily do IOA and USF in 3 or 4 HOURS. Two days is fine. More than that could definitely be overkill, especially for someone that does not like thrill rides. Let's face it, the only moving ride you can do at USF is the ET Adventure. You can hit some shows, some of which are decent, but with a bad back, it wouldn't be a good idea to ride Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit, Revenge of the Mummy, Disaster, JAWS, Men in Black: Alien Attack or The Simpsons Ride. As someone else mentioned, the 4D theater shows have stationary seats, as does Jimmy Neutron's Nick-Toon Blast.

At IOA, there's pretty much no moving ride you can do comfortably with your condition aside from the High in the Sky Seuss Trolley Train Ride, which you definitely will not be interested in doing more than one time. There's only two shows at IOA, and neither of them are very compelling.

If it's free and you have nothing at all better to do, then sure, go for it. But with the limited variety of entertainment options that will be available for you to *comfortably* enjoy, I would not, repeat, not plan to spend a large amount of time there.

don't be silly, if someone hasn't been to universal or ioa ever/in a long time, they need to block out 3-4 days for it...not 3-4 hours. the theming is actually amazing and much more up to date than what you'd see at disney, so if you aren't into rides, you should have a great time exploring it! also, the safaris at disney are intense if you have a bad driver, so don't keep yourself from riding other rides because of that being so bad!! if you arent into rides, universal can still be really fun and you'll run into some great, random stuff. the lucy exhibit is cool if you've never been into it and like lucille ball! that alone takes an hour+ to go through if you actually read the little signs. also, double check on the jaws ride. i dont remember it being very jerky, i mean some bumps, but i don't think its intense at all. no worse than splash moutain, so if you can handle that, consider jaws! have fun!!!!!

csm

don't be silly, if someone hasn't been to universal or ioa ever/in a long time, they need to block out 3-4 days for it...not 3-4 hours. the theming is actually amazing and much more up to date than what you'd see at disney, so if you aren't into rides, you should have a great time exploring it! also, the safaris at disney are intense if you have a bad driver, so don't keep yourself from riding other rides because of that being so bad!! if you arent into rides, universal can still be really fun and you'll run into some great, random stuff. the lucy exhibit is cool if you've never been into it and like lucille ball! that alone takes an hour+ to go through if you actually read the little signs. also, double check on the jaws ride. i dont remember it being very jerky, i mean some bumps, but i don't think its intense at all. no worse than splash moutain, so if you can handle that, consider jaws! have fun!!!!!

JAWS is a motion base in the water. It jerks and shakes you around. Not bad to you? Of course not. You don't have a pre-existing condition. If you don't recall the ride experience, then don't pitch in and suggest someone ride it when they already mentioned having several herniated discs.

i made it clear that i dont remember well, but she should consider it. i'm sure shes a smart woman and will look into things, but she should also be told about possible options. you seem to really dislike universal and stuff, and thats cool, but dont give others a negative view of it..let them make their own opinions. calm down a bit....ure getting defensive over a suggestion :brick:

agent86

i made it clear that i dont remember well, but she should consider it. i'm sure shes a smart woman and will look into things, but she should also be told about possible options. you seem to really dislike universal and stuff, and thats cool, but dont give others a negative view of it..let them make their own opinions. calm down a bit....ure getting defensive over a suggestion :brick:

:sohappy: Well said! CSM clearly has an agenda here, and it has nothing to do with providing the OP with useful (or accurate) information to help her enjoy her vacation. There seems to be at least one in every thread on this site... those who try to portray the Universal parks as being "just ok" with hardly anything to see and do. As many others have stated in countless threads, Universal is on a par with (and in MANY cases exceeds) Disney. The Universal parks have incredible attention to detail that blows away a lot of what Disney has done. If I had some sort of medical condition that prevented me from riding the vast majority of rides in a park, but I still wanted to go and just explore and enjoy the ambience, I would definitely take both Universal parks over MK, DHS or Epcot. From the standpoint of being visually stunning, DAK (minus the cheap carnival atmosphere of Dinoland) is really the only Disney park that comes close to the two Universal parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom