Unique 'Soaring film in production for EPCOT, Jim Hill reports

PeterAlt

Original Poster
http://jimhillmedia.com/articles/02272004.2.htm

Scroll lall the way down to the end. He says an Imagineer informed him that a new film for 'Soaring, which is now under construction and will open in EPCOT in 2005, using a copy of the original Calfornia film, will replace the California film by 2007. The new film is in the works and may even be in production already and will be unique to EPCOT, using themes more appropiate for Florida.

xfkirsten

I'm glad they're making a new film, but at the same time it seems like a cop-out to me... to open the attraction before it's really ready, just as a placeholder until they get the new film... :rolleyes:

-Kirsten

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Originally posted by xfkirsten
I'm glad they're making a new film, but at the same time it seems like a cop-out to me... to open the attraction before it's really ready, just as a placeholder until they get the new film... :rolleyes:

-Kirsten

Well, I think its better to open it with the California film first, if they don't have a unique EPCOT film ready by opening day. I, personally, like the California film... and what a better way to celebrate Disneyland's 50th Anniversary in 2005! It gives Floridians a peak at what California is like without the expensive of airfare and lodging!

I just hope they don't choose a Soaring Over Florida theme as its replacement, because Florida is pretty boring... no mountains, all swamps! I hope the do something like Soaring Over the World! Now, that would be nice....

PeterAlt

Original Poster
An afterthought...

In my last message, I said a Soaring over the World would be cool, but here's a better idea... Soaring over The Land! It would fit The Land Pavillion perfectly... you could Listen to the Land, or you can Soar Over the Land!!! Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!

josh_e_washie

Well I think an amzing idea in the Sorain' over Florida would be a shot trip around WDW! Imagine coming close to SE, flying around Cinderella Castle and barely missing the hat in MGM! The end could actually be you flying back into the building at the land! That would be neat!:)

xfkirsten

Originally posted by PeterAlt
Well, I think its better to open it with the California film first, if they don't have a unique EPCOT film ready by opening day. I, personally, like the California film... and what a better way to celebrate Disneyland's 50th Anniversary in 2005! It gives Floridians a peak at what California is like without the expensive of airfare and lodging!

I just hope they don't choose a Soaring Over Florida theme as its replacement, because Florida is pretty boring... no mountains, all swamps! I hope the do something like Soaring Over the World! Now, that would be nice....

The thing about it that really gets me, though, is if they planned to have a new video for EPCOT, why not just build the attraction with that in the first place? Why put in our version at all? I do see your point abouot the 50th, but it still seems like a stretch to me. If the video had more focus on DL itself, I'd agree, but since DL only makes up one small clip of it, it seems to be a bit of a half-hearted connection.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love DCA's version. It just seems like they should build it the way they intend for it to be in the end, not build it "halfway" and then change it down the line.

-Kirsten

Lee

Adventurer
Old news, but Jim is right as usual.
Soarin will open with the DCA film, as part of the tribute to Disneyland.
The new film will appear for Epcot's anniversary in 2007.

It's no big deal to get the DCA film. I like it a lot, and it's proven to be popular with guests.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
The thing about it that really gets me, though, is if they planned to have a new video for EPCOT, why not just build the attraction with that in the first place? Why put in our version at all? I do see your point abouot the 50th, but it still seems like a stretch to me. If the video had more focus on DL itself, I'd agree, but since DL only makes up one small clip of it, it seems to be a bit of a half-hearted connection.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love DCA's version. It just seems like they should build it the way they intend for it to be in the end, not build it "halfway" and then change it down the line.

-Kirsten

Kirsten -- First, let me say that at first they didn't even plan to change the film... I guess that's how Imagineers sold the idea to Disney management... building attractions for less money seems to be the way to get your concepts for new attractions approved by management these days... At first I was happy that we (Florida) was getting Soaring in the first place. Something is starting to change within Disney management all of a sudden, as if they are starting to realize that if they put just a little bit more money into their new attraction, those new attractions would bring in even more customers. Thus, they have decided in recent weeks to add more effects to Stitch's Great Escape and now this decision to produce a new film for Soaring!

I'm a Floridian, and I've been to California for my first time a few months ago. None of my friends here ahev ever been to California and have no clue what California is like. When I tell them, they could only imagine it, but my words can not do it justice. When Soaring opens at EPCOT with the California film, they can go to EPCOT now and see for themselves what I've been trying to describe to them in words! So, for that, it's a good thing that the California film will open first. Then, when the new film is released, they will have seen both, without ever having to make a trip to DCA!!!!!

I think that when they do replace the film, hopefully soon, that they come up with a really creative idea instead of just Soarin over Florida. They could really be imaginative with a ride like this.

SirNim

Common sense. Of course they wouldn't keep a California film in a Floridian attraction forever! :rolleyes:

(But they could... and they can... :lookaroun)

CTXRover

Flash Forward to 2007.... "Don't replace the California film...its so great. Why are they changing it..." j/k :lol: ;)

I'm cool with the California film. I've said it before...but the California landscape that Soarin' flies over gives you are pretty good range of the various landscapes across the world. I think most people will really enjoy this either way. Its not a super dooper, make you wet your pants thrill ride...but most people find it actually quite invigorating and peaceful...yet provides that little edge of a thrill today's generation is looking for. Its going to be a great addiition, even with the CA film at first.

imagineersrock

IMO, this ride should simply be "soarin"

instead of focusing on california, florida, the US, or the world..

it should simply be an attraction in which you fly over the different types of unique landscapes of the world regardless of their location. this would fit in perfectly with "the land" theme. An attraction where you fly over all the different kinds of "land" whether it be deserts, grasslands, volcanos, snowy mountain tops, etc.

seems like common sense to me. -just my 2 cents.

dxwwf3

I'm glad we'll get to see the DCA one for a few years. I have seen videos here on the internet and from what I can tell the California film looks pretty much perfect. It wouldn't bother me if they kept that film in there forever but it will also be good to have a new and different film at WDW. I am really excited about this attraction. I know it's not a thrill ride but it should be really fun.

xfkirsten

Kirsten -- First, let me say that at first they didn't even plan to change the film... I guess that's how Imagineers sold the idea to Disney management... building attractions for less money seems to be the way to get your concepts for new attractions approved by management these days... At first I was happy that we (Florida) was getting Soaring in the first place. Something is starting to change within Disney management all of a sudden, as if they are starting to realize that if they put just a little bit more money into their new attraction, those new attractions would bring in even more customers. Thus, they have decided in recent weeks to add more effects to Stitch's Great Escape and now this decision to produce a new film for Soaring!

I guess that begs the question.... when did this change come about? I'm glad to see that they don't want to carbon-copy from park to park. I just think this decision should have been made a long time ago, to give Florida a new video from the beginning. (I get really sick of seeing the same stuff being put in every park, if you can't tell. ;))

As for getting a view of another area, well, why just California? Like others have said, make it "Soarin' Over the Land" and get global footage in there! They can still make a new film and not have to stick people with 4 minutes over Soarin Over Swampland. ;)

-Kirsten

andre85

I don't see what the big deal is. Let's not forget our beloved Magic Kingdom is simply an elaborated Disneyland. If you don't like clones, just don't go to the park where you don't feel you're getting your money's worth. Most people rarely visit either Disneyland or Disney World, let alone both.

xfkirsten

Originally posted by andre85
I don't see what the big deal is. Let's not forget our beloved Magic Kingdom is simply an elaborated Disneyland. If you don't like clones, just don't go to the park where you don't feel you're getting your money's worth. Most people rarely visit either Disneyland or Disney World, let alone both.

The key word in that paragraph being "elaborated." Meaning not the same. Different. Taking the film from DCA and sticking it at WDW is not elaborating, that's just carbon-copying.

And I just think that having an attraction that's not unique to a park in any way (at least the MK attractions have some soort of variation in them!) detracts from the park's reputation as a whole. People rag on DCA for just carbon-copying MuppetVision and It's Tough to Be a Bug... why is EPCOT directly taking Soarin' any different? I certainly won't spend my time at EPCOT waiting for Soarin'. That's not to say that people who do are wrong, it's just not for me. And I think that they could get a lot better reception from fans (and in particular Californians who visit WDW) if they create an original video. But since when do they care what fans think anymore? :rolleyes:

-Kirsten

Mission: SPACE

I still believe we'll see some type of film, either upon opening or soon after. I've seen so many choppers over the skies, one time 4 were overhead, all at the same time.
I know some of these I've seen are most likely security, etc. but there has been way too many, more than before Soarin' began construction. :lookaroun :)

PeterAlt

Original Poster
The key word in that paragraph being "elaborated." Meaning not the same. Different. Taking the film from DCA and sticking it at WDW is not elaborating, that's just carbon-copying.

And I just think that having an attraction that's not unique to a park in any way (at least the MK attractions have some soort of variation in them!) detracts from the park's reputation as a whole. People rag on DCA for just carbon-copying MuppetVision and It's Tough to Be a Bug... why is EPCOT directly taking Soarin' any different? I certainly won't spend my time at EPCOT waiting for Soarin'. That's not to say that people who do are wrong, it's just not for me. And I think that they could get a lot better reception from fans (and in particular Californians who visit WDW) if they create an original video. But since when do they care what fans think anymore? :rolleyes:

-Kirsten

Kristen -- Let me add in that the DCA versions of It's Tough to be a Bug and MuppetVision aren't even worthwhile clones! In the Florida version of Its Tough to be a Bug, you walk through the amzing Tree of Life as you are entering the show building! With Muppets, the havoc and destruction you see at the end of the film is duplicated in the show building itself in the Florida version!

andre85

Kristen -- Let me get that the DCA versions of It's Tough to be a Bug and MuppetVision aren't even worthwhile clones!

Pah. While the tree of life is magnificent, it certainly isn’t integral to enjoying Bugs’ Life. As for Muppets 3D, if I understand what you’re saying correctly, I never even noticed the difference. Granted, the destruction in the Florida version is really cool, but it’s something most people wouldn’t notice in its absence (including me). When I experienced either of the aforementioned 3D shows at DCA, I almost forgot I wasn’t in Disney World.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom