Unique 'Soaring film in production for EPCOT, Jim Hill reports

mikeb_86

So let me get this right when it opens in 2005 the film will be the same one as DCA but when in 2007 for EPCOT'S 25 it will have a cool new film?

mikeb_86

andre85

Originally posted by mikeb_86
So let me get this right when it opens in 2005 the film will be the same one as DCA but when in 2007 for EPCOT'S 25 it will have a cool new film?

mikeb_86

No, no. You got it all wrong. When it opens in 2005 the film will be the same badass one as DCA but in 2007 for EPCOT'S 25 it will have a cool new film.

he-guy

I actually like this idea better than a new film right away. Look at is like this - DCA's film is proven to be popular, why not let Epcot guest's see it as well. I know I'll probaly never go to DCA, but I know I will go to Epcot, and it'll be nice to see what they're talking about in California. Also, if this new film doesn't debut for another three years, then chances are, it'll be better than what they could put together in one year. Finally, its almost like two new attractions are opening in this location within two years of each other, which is better than one. Videos occasionally need to be updated and changed. For example: "Wonders of China," video was getting old, out-dated - new video is great. It'd be nice if some other countries would update theirs as well, but one project at a time a time is nice too. :)

bartman454

From what i have heard the new Soaring attraction will be titled simply "SOARIN'" (personally i like the title "Soaring over the Land" but thats just me) it is a definite thing though that their will be some new footage added to the florida version to make it look better for the Epcot ride.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Originally posted by andre85
Pah. While the tree of life is magnificent, it certainly isn’t integral to enjoying Bugs’ Life. As for Muppets 3D, if I understand what you’re saying correctly, I never even noticed the difference. Granted, the destruction in the Florida version is really cool, but it’s something most people wouldn’t notice in its absence (including me). When I experienced either of the aforementioned 3D shows at DCA, I almost forgot I wasn’t in Disney World.

Trust me, when you're on line in the hot Florida sun for Bug's Life, it's really cool, winding through all the pathways, seeing all those animals sketched in the Tree of Life! Its makes a long wait more enjoyable... and then when you enhter the theater, which feels like a cave, its wonderful. DCA lacks all that!

andre85

Originally posted by PeterAlt
Trust me, when you're on line in the hot Florida sun for Bug's Life, it's really cool, winding through all the pathways, seeing all those animals sketched in the Tree of Life! Its makes a long wait more enjoyable... and then when you enhter the theater, which feels like a cave, its wonderful. DCA lacks all that!

Trust you? I know.

I've been to Disney World more times than I can count, and even though the Tree of Life is one of the most awe-inspiring things I've ever seen, I still stand by my statement that it certainly isn’t integral to enjoying It's Tough to be a Bug.

TinkerBell9988

I always thought I shoulda been an Imagineer...

How about "Soarin' Over the Land"?

Maybe something that actually fits with the theme of the pavillion... LOL

:animwink:

CTXRover

Originally posted by MagicalMonorail
According to the 2003 Annual Stockholder Report, the new ride at Epcot is going to be Soarin' over California, not just Soarin.

While it is stated that way in the Annual Stockholder report, the official press release and even an older Mickey Monitor for annual passholders....it is the more RECENT items that have been popping up that indicate someone on high has decided to have the name changed since those articles were written. These include the attraction posters now inside The Land, a sign stating that the Behind the Seeds tour is closed due to construction of (just) Soarin', and the "map of The Land" that sits right inside the entrance that says..Soarin' coming in Spring 2005. Also, I overheard a few CM's on a recent trip referring to it as simply Soarin'.

One must remember the name very well could have changed...afterall, the press announcement, Mickey Monitor update (and I believe the stockholder report) just say a new Stunt show is coming to MGM without ever saying its official name (BTW, a Mouseplanet update says the name will be: Lights! Motors! Action!)

xfkirsten

DCA doesn't need that... it never even HAS a long wait! :lol:

-Kirsten

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Originally posted by xfkirsten
DCA doesn't need that... it never even HAS a long wait! :lol:

-Kirsten

Hmmmm... I wonder why?????? Maybe because there isn't more to it, like the original has!

xfkirsten

Hmmmm... I wonder why?????? Maybe because there isn't more to it, like the original has!

Um, no, I don't think that's it. :lol: The flaw in that logic is that you're implying that people see the one in WDW just to wait in line under the tree. And I highly doubt that's true. ;)

More like because DCA never really has many lines anyways.

-Kirsten

CTXRover

Um, no, I don't think that's it. :lol: The flaw in that logic is that you're implying that people see the one in WDW just to wait in line under the tree. And I highly doubt that's true. ;)

-Kirsten

I've already went to see the DAK version just to take a closer look around the tree and try to find animals on it that I hadn't seen before...but I'm sure that's not the common thing to do ;)

xfkirsten

Originally posted by CTXRover
I've already went to see the DAK version just to take a closer look around the tree and try to find animals on it that I hadn't seen before...but I'm sure that's not the common thing to do ;)

And that sounds like a fun idea, really! :) It's just not something the average guest would do, you're right. :)

-Kirsten

PeterAlt

Original Poster

-Kirsten

No, I'm implying that when people see that big humungous tree in the middle of the park, they are compelled to go to it, out of curiosity of what's inside. The animals around the que is one of these "little" touches, which keep they fascinated untill they enter the nicely air conditioned theater inside. The Florida version actually has three parts to it that adds to the total enjoyment of this attraction.... seeing the tree from a distance (brings in the crowds), trying to find all those hiddden animals while on line, and the movie itself. DCA's version has nothing that would attract visitors there, and lacks the first parts of the total enjoyment of the attraction, thus making the attraction less attractable to crowds, thus lower crowds. Besides, Disneyland already has two other 3D movie, all of which opened around the same time period, so DCA's version of Bug's is "just another 3D movie". At WDW, they are careful to have one 3D movie per park, each offering a unique experience, and all opened in decent time intervals between openings.

On a different subject, I was shocked that DL always had long lines for PotC, while WDW always has short lines. Aat WDW, you have to go through a building and through a fort before you actually get on the ride. WDW's version has a hidden line, so to speak. In DL's version, you hop right on the boat as soon as you enter the building. Also at DL, as soon as you enter New Orleans Square, you can not miss the line, which is far from hidden.

You can aurgue my point about Bugs's crowds compared in the parks to PotC's crowds compared between the parks. You could say that the reason DL's has the crowds of people and WDW's version does not is because DL's version is better, and therefore more popular. The truth (read: "my opinion") is that WDW's line is hidden, while DL's line is not. DL's version does have a whole opening sequence that is lacking in WDW's version, but this opening really isn't that necessary for the ride. But WDW's version has a whole fort entrance that DL's version lacks, but the rest of the ride is exactly the same, except WDW's uses 70's technology AA figure, while DL's uses 60's technology AA figure, with the exception of several very modern AA figures, and some even from the 80's (brought in there from EPCOT's World of Motion when it was closed to make way for Test Track).

Okay, I'm rambling now.... I will shut up now before I start trying to figure what my point was.....

andre85

No, I'm implying that when people see that big humungous tree in the middle of the park, they are compelled to go to it.... seeing the tree from a distance (brings in the crowds), trying to find all those hiddden animals while on line, and the movie itself. DCA's version has nothing that would attract visitors there, and lacks the first parts of the total enjoyment of the attraction, thus making the attraction less attractable to crowds, thus lower crowds.

Well that changes everything . If we’re talking about popularity, there’s not much to debate; though this is a far different stance than your original avowal proclaiming the tree was essential to the enjoyment of It’s Tough to be a Bug, which I still strongly disagree with.

xfkirsten

On a different subject, I was shocked that DL always had long lines for PotC, while WDW always has short lines. Aat WDW, you have to go through a building and through a fort before you actually get on the ride. WDW's version has a hidden line, so to speak. In DL's version, you hop right on the boat as soon as you enter the building. Also at DL, as soon as you enter New Orleans Square, you can not miss the line, which is far from hidden.

You can aurgue my point about Bugs's crowds compared in the parks to PotC's crowds compared between the parks. You could say that the reason DL's has the crowds of people and WDW's version does not is because DL's version is better, and therefore more popular. The truth (read: "my opinion") is that WDW's line is hidden, while DL's line is not. DL's version does have a whole opening sequence that is lacking in WDW's version, but this opening really isn't that necessary for the ride. But WDW's version has a whole fort entrance that DL's version lacks, but the rest of the ride is exactly the same, except WDW's uses 70's technology AA figure, while DL's uses 60's technology AA figure, with the exception of several very modern AA figures, and some even from the 80's (brought in there from EPCOT's World of Motion when it was closed to make way for Test Track).

Okay, I'm rambling now.... I will shut up now before I start trying to figure what my point was.....

Ah, but DL's IS better, and I get the impression that you would have a very hard time drumming up much support in saying that WDW's is just as good. DL's is a very different experience. Believe me, I have been on both WDW's and DL's verions dozens of times. The trip through the caves in DL helps drive home the point that the pirates are cursed, a fact which I think is glossed over in WDW's version. You go through their lair, you see that something befell them and caused them to leave all their treasure behind, and then you go through the cave in the dark, and hear the voice tell you about the curse... and then the ride opens up into the battle. And of course at the end, seeing the skeletons of pirates that perished as they tried to haul off treasure, that just reinfornces the idea. It's a much better storytelling job that Disneyland does, whereas WDW is just more of a float-through of pirate scenes.

However, this is not a situation that I think applies to the Bug's argument. Since DL and WDW do have very different versions (IMHO), it is not the same as havinig the exact same 3D movie in two parks. You're comparing apple and oranges here.

-Kirsten

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Originally posted by andre85
Well that changes everything . If we’re talking about popularity, there’s not much to debate; though this is a far different stance than your original avowal proclaiming the tree was essential to the enjoyment of It’s Tough to be a Bug, which I still strongly disagree with.

No, the tree is not the central enjoyment factor of It's Tough to be a Bug. The tree is a SEPPARATE attraction that just happens to house the other attraction. The tree draws the crods to the theater. Someone who doesn't know better, will see the tree and want to go iinside it, without ever realizing that they something completely different is expecting them inside.

DCA has no central attraction to bring people to Its a Bug's Life, except maybe that children's playground of a land. So my point? Animal Kingdom has something of an attraction outside, which as nothing to do with the show the show inside, but that outside attraction brings in people to the attraction inside. Just like in EPCOT, if you go to either Test Track or Mission: Space, you will notice the other attraction right next door and go see that as well. Same is true at Disney-MGM with Tower of Tower and Rock 'N Rollercoaster right next to each other!

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Ah, but DL's IS better, and I get the impression that you would have a very hard time drumming up much support in saying that WDW's is just as good. DL's is a very different experience. Believe me, I have been on both WDW's and DL's verions dozens of times. The trip through the caves in DL helps drive home the point that the pirates are cursed, a fact which I think is glossed over in WDW's version. You go through their lair, you see that something befell them and caused them to leave all their treasure behind, and then you go through the cave in the dark, and hear the voice tell you about the curse... and then the ride opens up into the battle. And of course at the end, seeing the skeletons of pirates that perished as they tried to haul off treasure, that just reinfornces the idea. It's a much better storytelling job that Disneyland does, whereas WDW is just more of a float-through of pirate scenes.

However, this is not a situation that I think applies to the Bug's argument. Since DL and WDW do have very different versions (IMHO), it is not the same as havinig the exact same 3D movie in two parks. You're comparing apple and oranges here.

-Kirsten

I know that was off-topic, but somehow that made me think about Pirates, and I just brought that up any way. Yes, I rode the one at DL for my first (and so far only time) a few months ago. With the DL version fresh in my head, I rode the one at WDW just a month later. The lines at WDW's version were actually long this time (maybe because of the movie). I really like how you walk through caves and the fortress at WDW's version, and how they don't need a transition to get it out of New Orleans mode. But, I love the ride through caves at DL's version! After riding DL's version, I realized that there is actually a story behind it, which I would have never have known riding WDW's version hundreds of times in my life. It seemed to me that DL's version had more attention to detail, on top of the the sequences cut (from WDW's version) from the beginning and the very end. I love the realizism of the updated AA figures, such as the Auctioneers in DL's version, and hope they eventually give WDW's version the up to date AA figures. WDW's version does seem better in some places, like the village on fire.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom