Understanding Why Disney's Magical Express Is Ending

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I have been saying for a while disney's business model is no longer built on great guest experience and service. It is built on data mining to determine how to suck the most money out of guests. It doesn't mean people aren't going to be able to have a great time at disney, but they aren't concerned with making it a good value anymore.

Some people act like MM+ was a huge failure. It was after that prices really started to get looney, hours cut, service worse, real discounts gone, etc. I'm sure they made billions in returns on that investment.

They simply have enough data to tell them cutting the bus service is worth it. The wealthiest people probably never use it so the blowback won't be big from them. Modern Disney is a lot like a game that gets ruined because %10 of the players spend 10x as much money on pay to win add ons.

Ta-da!! Magic!!!
E5668F50-A672-4468-935B-B00DA162C57C.jpeg

ParentsOf4

Original Poster
I greatly appreciate the speculation about what will happen to PRGS. It's a complex topic and I'm not sure what will happen.

Years ago, I posted an analysis showing how increased ticket prices hurt discretionary spending (what Disney refers to as "merchandise, food, and beverage" sales). Similarly, as others on this thread suggest, Guests who pay more to get to WDW will have less to spend at WDW.

However, please keep in mind that hotel occupancy and PRGS are two different things, and how these are impacted might be different.

Paying for airport transportation will almost certainly impact hotel occupancy - more people will stay offsite. Is it 1%? Is it 10%? Presumably, Disney has data indicating it is closer to the lower number. Disney would be crazy to end MDE if they think occupancy will drop 10%.

To understand why it would be crazy, you have to keep in mind how hotel margins work. Hotel costs are relatively fixed. A 10% increase in the number of Guests staying at a hotel does not result in a 10% increase in Disney's costs. Based on historical data and under normal operating conditions, Disney's break-even seems to be somewhere around 70-75%. Once occupancy gets higher, it's mostly profit. This means that a drop from 90% to 80% represents a tremendous decrease in profitability.

How the end of DME affects PRGS going forward is more complex. Remember, PRGS is spending per occupied room, which is independent of occupancy. If I'm at a Disney hotel, I'm still going to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And if I'm using Grubhub or DoorDash to get my food delivered to the hotel, Disney loses my money even if I used DME to get to the hotel. (Although Disney's hotels sell merchandise, this is the smallest component of PRGS.) So I'm not sure how the end of DME will affect PRGS.

However, the end of MDE might impact what Disney refers to as Per Capita Guest Spending (PCGS):

Per capita guest spending is used to analyze guest spending trends and is defined as total revenue from ticket sales and sales of food, beverage and merchandise in our theme parks, divided by total theme park attendance.​

My guess is that most discretionary spending occurs at the theme parks, not the hotels. I can envision how paying for airport transportation will have a bigger impact on Guest spending at the parks (i.e. PCGS).

Last edited:

Parker in NYC

I can't understand people paying the exorbitant prices for Disney resorts, park tickets, and food and then griping about parking fees. My friend's mother took us on a trip a few years back for a stay at AKL. We flew in from NY a day earlier and she joined us a day later from DC. I remind you that she paid for our stay. Anyway, she found a flight to Sanford Airport that was something like $80 cheaper. But then still had to figure out how to get to Disney from the airport and lost out on free DME and baggage service... and she doesn't drive anymore. But she saved the going rate for what, $80 + the cost of the Uber since she couldn't find the shuttle - plus the transportation back.

Bpmorley

I can't understand people paying the exorbitant prices for Disney resorts, park tickets, and food and then griping about parking fees. My friend's mother took us on a trip a few years back for a stay at AKL. We flew in from NY a day earlier and she joined us a day later from DC. I remind you that she paid for our stay. Anyway, she found a flight to Sanford Airport that was something like $80 cheaper. But then still had to figure out how to get to Disney from the airport and lost out on free DME and baggage service... and she doesn't drive anymore. But she saved the going rate for what, $80 + the cost of the Uber since she couldn't find the shuttle - plus the transportation back.
I think its just the point. You've already knocked me over the head now you want to shake my pockets out for the spare change leftover. Personally just add it to the cost of the room. I won't stay anywhere if there is a parking fee.

bcoachable

I greatly appreciate the speculation about what will happen to PRGS. It's a complex topic and I'm not sure what will happen.

Years ago, I posted an analysis showing how increased ticket prices hurt discretionary spending (what Disney refers to as "merchandise, food, and beverage" sales). Similarly, as others on this thread suggest, Guests who pay more to get to WDW will have less to spend at WDW.

However, please keep in mind that hotel occupancy and PRGS are two different things, and how these are impacted might be different.

Paying for airport transportation will almost certainly impact hotel occupancy - more people will stay offsite. Is it 1%? Is it 10%? Presumably, Disney has data indicating it is closer to the lower number. Disney would be crazy to end MDE if they think occupancy will drop 10%.

To understand why it would be crazy, you have to keep in mind how hotel margins work. Hotel costs are relatively fixed. A 10% increase in the number of Guests staying at a hotel does not result in a 10% increase in Disney's costs. Based on historical data and under normal operating conditions, Disney's break-even seems to be somewhere around 70-75%. Once occupancy gets higher, it's mostly profit. This means that a drop from 90% to 80% represents a tremendous decrease in profitability.

How the end of DME affects PRGS going forward is more complex. Remember, PRGS is spending per occupied room, which is independent of occupancy. If I'm at a Disney hotel, I'm still going to east breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And if I'm using Grubhub or DoorDash to get my food delivered to the hotel, Disney loses my money even if I used DME to get to the hotel. (Although Disney's hotels sell merchandise, this is the smallest component of PRGS.) So I'm not sure how the end of DME will affect PRGS.

However, the end of MDE might impact what Disney refers to as Per Capita Guest Spending (PCGS):

Per capita guest spending is used to analyze guest spending trends and is defined as total revenue from ticket sales and sales of food, beverage and merchandise in our theme parks, divided by total theme park attendance.​

My guess is that most discretionary spending occurs at the theme parks, not the hotels. I can envision how paying for airport transportation will have a bigger impact on Guest spending at the parks (i.e. PCGS).
I’m left wondering if disney has something up their sleeve to offer the on property guest if Hotel occupancy drops significantly- like say a max pass-

Goofyernmost

I think it will. Guests will have figured out alternate transportation and that will lead to some leaving the bubble.
I also see resort numbers go down. If you rent a car, you'll have to pay to park. Might as well rent a house/condo outside and pay to park at the parks.
And don't forget, if you spend the day at Disney Springs or Golfing or one of the many other activities that you might visit you have to still pay that $25 (or whatever it is now) parking fee that someone offsite wouldn't have to pay. Especially at the startup of normal. Offsite hotels will be competing with each other to get the guest to stay with them. One quick way to look good is to have a big old sign that says "FREE PARKING".

Shortly after Disney instituted the resort parking fee, I went down there to visit WDW, Uni and others. The place I stayed had a giant sign that could be seen from I-4 that read... "We don't charge for parking and never will."

UNCgolf

Didn’t they replace EMH with early access to each park everyday? On @lentesta ‘s podcast he said this is a huge incentive to staying on property.

They did -- although it's only 30 minutes early -- and I'm sure part of the reason for the change was an attempt to keep guests on-site.

However, there aren't that many people who rope drop. If there were, it would no longer be especially beneficial. It should drive people who care about rope dropping to stay on-site, but it's probably not going to matter that much to the majority of Disney guests.

artvandelay

They did -- although it's only 30 minutes early -- and I'm sure part of the reason for the change was an attempt to keep guests on-site.

However, there aren't that many people who rope drop. If there were, it would no longer be especially beneficial. It should drive people who care about rope dropping to stay on-site, but it's probably not going to matter that much to the majority of Disney guests.
Very true. I’d rather EMH over this, especially night EMH at MK. One Easter, we were at MK past 2am. It was great.

UNCgolf

Very true. I’d rather EMH over this, especially night EMH at MK. One Easter, we were at MK past 2am. It was great.

I would also much rather have the parks open late at night than early in the morning. It made sense to do both from time to time to cater to all types of guests. I imagine now you'll just have to pay for one of the special events to get any extra night time access.

Goofyernmost

What would be the game killer for me would be the fact that the room prices are already very high for what you get. In business you want people to come you provide a place for them to park their car. I was in Atlanta a few years ago staying at the Hilton, if I remember correctly. The parking fee was $50 per night, however, this was in the heart of the city and there were no parking areas close by. Theirs was under the hotel which I can imagine cost a lot to build. That said, the room rate was around $100 per night, not $400 to $600 and all Disney had to do to create their parking lot was to pave an area of land (above ground) that was paid for probably by the time Walt died. Theirs was pure unadulterated greed. That is why there is griping about it. It is a perk that at the very least should be given to those people that are already willing to be fleeced with the room rate. Those rates that they charge now already had parking figured in before they added the parking rate. So, in other words, the parking fee was already in the room cost and then they added a second parking fee on top of that. No one saw the room rates drop by the same amount of the leveled parking fee did they?

jt04

They'll bring it back with a price tag. They just don't want to give it for free anymore.

With minimum wage increasing to 15 they won't be able to. Personally I welcome the changes. At least their potential.

I would have no complaint, for instance, with paying an up charge for direct bus service between the parks.

Or an annual parking permit. AAA used to offer a sweet deal. Disney could offer something similar though I know it would cost much more due to the increase in demand. But another potential revenue stream just sitting there.

peter11435

With minimum wage increasing to 15 they won't be able to. Personally I welcome the changes. At least their potential.

I would have no complaint, for instance, with paying an up charge for direct bus service between the parks.

Or an annual parking permit. AAA used to offer a sweet deal. Disney could offer something similar though I know it would cost much more due to the increase in demand. But another potential revenue stream just sitting there.
This has nothing to do with minimum wage increasing. At all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom