Umm.. What's up with Epcot today? (05/25/14)

Marc Gil

Original Poster
I just had the displeasure of riding JII a few minutes ago, and couldn't resist taking this photo of the final scene...
image.jpg
image.jpg

Pardon the quality... I took these on my iPhone... Anyway there you have it... EPIC FAIL.

In other news, while I was at UOE earlier this afternoon, the pre show also malfunctioned... Only one screen projector was operational... Come on Disney!! Every one was screaming "Bad Show"... Unacceptable..

Last edited:

Figment2005

I just had the displeasure of riding JII a few minutes ago, and couldn't resist taking this photo of the final scene...
View attachment 54789 View attachment 54790
Pardon the quality... I took these on my iPhone... Anyway there you have it... EPIC FAIL.

In other news, while I was at UOE earlier this afternoon, the pre show also malfunctioned... Only one screen projector was operational... Come on Disney!! Every one was screaming "Bad Show"... Unacceptable..
Now did you actually tell someone about the problem, or did you just take a picture and post it on the internet?

Figment2005

While it would have been nice if he had, it still isn't his responsibility to maintain Disney's standards retroactively for them.

Maintenance and quality are proactive behaviors, when done correctly.
Stuff breaks... the cast do a run through at the start of the day and if it happened after then how else would they know something was wrong if a guest didn't inform them? Are they just supposed to know?? Even the best maintained and highest quality equipment can and will break down. So quit using that excuse.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Stuff breaks... the cast do a run through at the start of the day and if it happened after then how else would they know something was wrong if a guest didn't inform them? Are they just supposed to know?? Even the best maintained and highest quality equipment can and will break down. So quit using that excuse.
I am aware. I've done maintenance on systems like Disney's before. And yes, things do break. And, many things can't be fixed during show running times (which, is all day...so...)

If it were me planning their maintenance schedule, they shouldn't do one ride through in the morning. They should do at least 3 a day for the CMs, and 2 for overnight maintenance (one to identify the punchlist and combine with the CM daily punchlist, and one after work is done to confirm what was able to be completed during downtime and what needs to be carried over to another day (e.g., waiting for a parts order, requires larger work than can be completed overnight, etc....etc...)

One ride through a day isn't enough, and what, exactly, are they going to get fixed before opening if they just do a quick ride pre-opening?

It will cost more labor to do this, and require more organization and training. But, they are supposed to be maintaining a quality show, and that means being proactive.

So, quit using that excuse.

Figment2005

I am aware. I've done maintenance on systems like Disney's before. And yes, things do break. And, many things can't be fixed during show running times (which, is all day...so...)

If it were me planning their maintenance schedule, they shouldn't do one ride through in the morning. They should do at least 3 a day for the CMs, and 2 for overnight maintenance (one to identify the punchlist and combine with the CM daily punchlist, and one after work is done to confirm what was able to be completed during downtime and what needs to be carried over to another day (e.g., waiting for a parts order, requires larger work than can be completed overnight, etc....etc...)

One ride through a day isn't enough, and what, exactly, are they going to get fixed before opening if they just do a quick ride pre-opening?

It will cost more labor to do this, and require more organization and training. But, they are supposed to be maintaining a quality show, and that means being proactive.

So, quit using that excuse.
If something does not work during the opening ride through then it does not open until the problem is fixed. It's called a delayed opening... Your plan would work and I agree that more than one ride-through should be done, but neither you nor I are in charge of that so I don't worry about it. It just irks me when someone and moans about a problem, but does nothing except post pictures on the internet to try and humiliate, in this case, Disney.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
If something does not work during the opening ride through then it does not open until the problem is fixed. It's called a delayed opening... Your plan would work and I agree that more than one ride-through should be done, but neither you nor I are in charge of that so I don't worry about it. It just irks me when someone and moans about a problem, but does nothing except post pictures on the internet to try and humiliate, in this case, Disney.
Fair enough. But, due to the sheer volume of issues Disney has, they should feel humiliated. If it was just this, for a day or two, that's one thing...but, how long until it gets fixed?

This is a very small example, and in and of itself is forgivable (you are correct, things break, and it's not always easy to fix them on the fly, especially with animetronics or complicated mechanical systems)

All combined, issues like these (and countless others) are examples of how Disney management isn't supporting their teams and have lost their attention to detail. They should feel ashamed, and they deserve to be humiliated. Not the CMs doing the work, per se, but the attitude that permeates from above that has soaked down to their level.

A very tiny thing, but I wonder if Sally's hood emblem at AoA has been replaced yet. It was ripped off in August of 2012, and on my 2013 trip still hadn't been replaced. I wonder if it's still missing.

This should be something that the hotel maintenance manager, or at LEAST the General Manager should have noticed after a year of it being missing, don'tcha think? And it's easy to replace.

When I stayed at POFQ, a was missing on my bottom drawer making it hard to pull out. I called the front desk. For my 11 day stay, it never got replaced.

When I stayed Atrium level at Contemporary, someone broke the Magicband scanner to get to the Atrium Club level in the west elevator. I was only there two days, but it didn't get fixed during that stay...I wonder how long it stayed like that?

And, I haven't even gotten into rides...

As I said, it's a reflection of a general attitude that permeates.

When I'd take over a similar (granted much smaller scale) operation, PM scheduling was one of the first things I'd tackle. I'd put the tech on a PM schedule (which many didn't like at first) that forced them to touch every game daily (twice daily, actually), detail clean and PM the mechanics and electronics once a week, do a lighting and show check as well as an animetronics movement check (to look for broken cylendars, loose movements due to worn joints, etc...) once a week, and a teardown and PM of each character once a week.

This worked in a smaller scale, and would be harder to do at Disney, I grant. But, there's no reason why they couldn't tighten up what is obviously a very loose ship in this respect.

Last edited:

Kman101

I don't buy for a second rides are delayed opened anymore due to bad show. How many times in the past (before the great refurb they did on it) was Splash operating with non-working affects. Look at Carousel of Progress. As nice as that sounds, I personally don't buy that anymore. I wish it were true but it's clearly not.

dstrawn9889

Fair enough. But, due to the sheer volume of issues Disney has, they should feel humiliated. If it was just this, for a day or two, that's one thing...but, how long until it gets fixed?

This is a very small example, and in and of itself is forgivable (you are correct, things break, and it's not always easy to fix them on the fly, especially with animetronics or complicated mechanical systems)

All combined, issues like these (and countless others) are examples of how Disney management isn't supporting their teams and have lost their attention to detail. They should feel ashamed, and they deserve to be humiliated. Not the CMs doing the work, per se, but the attitude that permeates from above that has soaked down to their level.

A very tiny thing, but I wonder if Sally's hood emblem at AoA has been replaced yet. It was ripped off in August of 2012, and on my 2013 trip still hadn't been replaced. I wonder if it's still missing.

This should be something that the hotel maintenance manager, or at LEAST the General Manager should have noticed after a year of it being missing, don'tcha think? And it's easy to replace.

When I stayed at POFQ, a was missing on my bottom drawer making it hard to pull out. I called the front desk. For my 11 day stay, it never got replaced.

When I stayed Atrium level at Contemporary, someone broke the Magicband scanner to get to the Atrium Club level in the west elevator. I was only there two days, but it didn't get fixed during that stay...I wonder how long it stayed like that?

And, I haven't even gotten into rides...

As I said, it's a reflection of a general attitude that permeates.

When I'd take over a similar (granted much smaller scale) operation, PM scheduling was one of the first things I'd tackle. I'd put the tech on a PM schedule (which many didn't like at first) that forced them to touch every game daily (twice daily, actually), detail clean and PM the mechanics and electronics once a week, do a lighting and show check as well as an animetronics movement check (to look for broken cylendars, loose movements due to worn joints, etc...) once a week, and a teardown and PM of each character once a week.

This worked in a smaller scale, and would be harder to do at Disney, I grant. But, there's no reason why they couldn't tighten up what is obviously a very loose ship in this respect.
sally's hood ornament, the Porsche embelem? could it be that they do not have a license to display that emblem?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
sally's hood ornament, the Porsche embelem? could it be that they do not have a license to display that emblem?
It was there when the resort opened. It was there when I stayed at Pop in August of 2012. It disappeared during that stay.

Also, I strongly doubt they'd have issue displaying it (since they opened with it). But, it it was a rights issue, they could have at least done one of two things IN MORE THAN A YEAR!

1) They could have buffed the paint and clearcoated it again, instead of leaving an obvious discolored mark where the emblem used to be...as you can see here if you zoom into this picture from someone who posted a trip report in May of 2013...9 months after I noted it disappear during my stay.

2) They could have come up with a parody emblem that is similar shape and size to take it's place, just like they do with other emblems.

But, considering the Porche emblem is shown on the character in toys and the movie, I would suspect the rights to display the emblem would be tied to the agreement made when the character was designed.

So, nice thought, but no, I don't think that's it. Had they done either of the other steps, I may have agreed with you that it was a rights issue. But, to leave it discolored and damaged looking for more than a YEAR is just evidence of sloppy maintenance and a general lack of attention to detail.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom