• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Ultimate Thread About Br'er Bear's Rump

shambolicdefending

Yup. I'd be interested as to how Japanese are introduced to the Uncle Remus tales, since I think Southern U.S. culture is considered a pretty crucial cultural background for those stories. I also wish I could understand more of the on-ride dialogue in Japanese to see if there's any kind of dialect used by the characters to relay "Southern" type speech.
My Japanese is rusty, but I think the owl is giving kind of a "Hold onto your hats and glasses," type message. Pretty sure he says something about rabbits at some point. He's using a super old grandpa-type dialect though. Hard to sort out.

Never been on the ride personally, but from browsing a couple of YouTube videos it sounds like most of the characters are using a similar mix of old, rural accents. Probably the closest Japan can get to mimicking the southern plantation feel.

Texas84

Premium Member
Advertisement
My Japanese is rusty, but I think the owl is giving kind of a "Hold onto your hats and glasses," type message. Pretty sure he says something about rabbits at some point. He's using a super old grandpa-type dialect though. Hard to sort out.

Never been on the ride personally, but from browsing a couple of YouTube videos it sounds like most of the characters are using a similar mix of old, rural accents. Probably the closest Japan can get to mimicking the southern plantation feel.
Maybe a Tohoku accent?

Rich T

Yup. I'd be interested as to how Japanese are introduced to the Uncle Remus tales, since I think Southern U.S. culture is considered a pretty crucial cultural background for those stories. I also wish I could understand more of the on-ride dialogue in Japanese to see if there's any kind of dialect used by the characters to relay "Southern" type speech.
Actually, though, the ride's story works fine without any knowledge or exposure to Southern U.S. culture or folktales. 99.99 percent (I checked!) of everyone who rides and enjoys Splash Mt. have never seen Song of the South, have never heard an Uncle Remus folktale in their lives, and never will. If they're paying attention to the ride, they see it as a story about a rabbit running away from home who gets caught by a fox and a bear, and then escapes over a waterfall and relaxes back at home while the fox and bear get bit by an alligator. :) Then later they wonder why that bear's butt was all over the place. :D

BasiltheBatLord

For some reason I've never been able to pick up on dialects in Japanese... When I went to Osaka (from Tokyo, where I was living) I didn't notice the famous Kansai-ben at all.

shambolicdefending

For some reason I've never been able to pick up on dialects in Japanese... When I went to Osaka (from Tokyo, where I was living) I didn't notice the famous Kansai-ben at all.
I didn't notice it much unless I had people point out some of the differences. I don't think it exists as much as it used to. Younger crowd seems more homogenized.

Rich T

Before the ride originally opened at DL, I was hoping there'd be a scene where Brer Bear actually threatened riders with his signature line, "I'm gonna knock your heads cleeeeeeeean OFF!" :D

ADMachine

Original Poster
Before the ride originally opened at DL, I was hoping there'd be a scene where Brer Bear actually threatened riders with his signature line, "I'm gonna knock your heads cleeeeeeeean OFF!" :D
He does say "Now look! I'm gonna...owowow!" at the end with Br'er Gator. Maybe thats what hes trying to say.

Rich T

My cousin thought that was Br'er Rabbit once.
I think the DL AAs of Brer Rabbit actually look more like the Nestle's Quik Rabbit (or Bean Bunny from the Muppets) than the Song of the South character they're supposed to represent.

In other nightmare scenarios: In a future deal with General Mills, the Tiki Room will feature Sonny going cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs. :D

Top Bottom