Ugh, any advice?

lilclerk

So I'm leaving for my first solo trip on Wednesday and I am SO excited to get the chance to explore the parks on my own (aside from one morning of the KttK tour.) I've kinda been keeping quiet about this trip as (I know, this is weird) I don't want to run into anyone I know down there and end up spending most of my time with them. This happened on my solo trip to Disneyland and, while it was nice to see an old friend, I had wanted to spend some time by myself.

Well, one of my boyfriend's co-workers caught wind that I'm going next week and he will be in Orlando with some of his friends. He just wrote on my facebook asking if I wanted to hang out at all.
I don't.
I feel so bad saying no, but at the same time I really just want to be by myself and not feel like I'm holding anyone up when I stop to take 100 random pictures. And it's not like I'll never see this guy again, I see him all the time.

Any advice for how to let him down gently? I'm thinking I'll tell him I have a lot of tours and reservations to work around (which I do) but maybe we can meet up for fireworks one night?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I would just leave any commitment very open and generic. Just tell the person you already have plans to do certain things, but if something changes you would love to hang out...Its your vacation. Don't do what you dont want to do....

Upvote 0

twoweirdos

If you dont want them knowing you are doing Disney...you can say you are either
1.Swamped wih work(darn boss)
2.GOing to relax,,swim and sleep
3.fake a new love interest?lol

I dunno..thats a toughie.I like my me time too.
But the fireworks thing is a GREAT idea

Upvote 0

tigsmom

If you don't want to hang out with anybody then don't, BUT since you do know him and see him all the time it would be polite to meet up just once or twice. You could grab a quick lunch or see the fireworks together as both of these would give you an out afterwards (time for your next tour or head to bed after a long day). There is no need to spend all your time with them.

Upvote 0

lilclerk

Original Poster
If you don't want to hang out with anybody then don't, BUT since you do know him and see him all the time it would be polite to meet up just once or twice. You could grab a quick lunch or see the fireworks together as both of these would give you an out afterwards (time for your next tour or head to bed after a long day). There is no need to spend all your time with them.
Exactly, I do see him a lot and don't want to be rude about it. Alright, looks like the fireworks on a non-EMH night are my best bet :lol: Thanks everyone!

Upvote 0

Stellajack

Exactly, I do see him a lot and don't want to be rude about it. Alright, looks like the fireworks on a non-EMH night are my best bet :lol: Thanks everyone!

I would say to him, "isn't it great that we planned trips at the same time? Your plans are probably as busy as mine, maybe we'll run into each other while we're there".

I would not alter my plans as "meeting up" with anyone-friends, family or whomever always alters your personal plans. (I also would not feel obligated to meet up)

Just sayin'.:shrug:

Upvote 0

miles1

If the romance interest thing doesn't work, tell him you're going to meet up with family from another state. Just be prepared, even with the size of WDW and the distance that we travel from, we nearly always wind up running into someone we know, even if just an acquaintance.

I envy you being able to do a solo trip. Have a great time.

Upvote 0

UberPlannerMom

Are you sure he isn't just worried that you will be sad being alone at Disney? He may be trying to be nice to you, and may have had to convince other members of his party to allow him to invite you to tag along. Just a possibility!

Upvote 0

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Try the fireworks as a compromise for one night, but then go with the tours as an excuse to keep the remaining time for yourself. :)

Upvote 0

NeriBeri

If this person truly is a friend, then just be honest. Tell him exactly what you said out here on the forums:

"Hey, Bob, thanks for the invite; I appreciate it. I'm actually really excited about exploring the parks on my own. I need some down time. I really need some time by myself. How about meeting up after our trips?"

Do not feel badly about saying no. It's perfectly okay to tell someone "no thank you." Not to get all Oprah on you, but the sooner you learn to do this in life, the happier you will be. :)

Upvote 0

Mukta

I think fireworks one night is a great compromise.
Don't answer your phone the rest of the trip. That way you can say you weren't getting a signal and you didn't see his call. Keep 'missing' each other and it won't look like you were purposefully avoiding him.

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I think compromise is not the most appropriate word since there is no obligation what so ever to even acknowledge that this other person will be in WDW at the same time. You should not feel obligated to make arrangements to meet. But im one of those types of people who could care less what other people think of me......just the way Im wired.....:shrug:

Upvote 0

CaptainWinter

Any advice for how to let him down gently? I'm thinking I'll tell him I have a lot of tours and reservations to work around (which I do) but maybe we can meet up for fireworks one night?

Fireworks one night. The last night. :^)

Seriously, that's a tough situation and I don't envy you. (Facebook does this to people a lot.) The upside is, there are worse ways to kill a few hours than to hang out with an acquaintance at Disney World.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

If this person truly is a friend, then just be honest. Tell him exactly what you said out here on the forums:

"Hey, Bob, thanks for the invite; I appreciate it. I'm actually really excited about exploring the parks on my own. I need some down time. I really need some time by myself. How about meeting up after our trips?"

Do not feel badly about saying no. It's perfectly okay to tell someone "no thank you." Not to get all Oprah on you, but the sooner you learn to do this in life, the happier you will be. :)
I totally agree - just be honest, and suggest you get together some time when you get back and you two can compare notes about each other's trips.

Upvote 0

harveyt0206

I completely understand your frustration over this scenario. I'm a people pleaser so saying no to invitations/offers, etc... stresses me out. Lately I have been trying to imagine how I would feel if I was the one being told "no" to an invitation. Would it kill me? Definitely not. Would it upset me? Probably not. If this person is really a friend then hopefully they will understand that your desire to fully enjoy your very first solo visit at WDW is nothing personal against them. Whatever you decide to do, have a great trip and enjoy every single moment at the happiest place on earth.

Upvote 0

lilclerk

Original Poster
Yes - say nothing, and GO. Stick to your plans. Facebook doesn't have to be your Social Calendar... It's just a stinking Web Site.
I've been considering deleting my facebook and this may be what does it for me :lol:

Anyway, he's not really a friend. He's my boyfriend's co-worker (who neither of us really likes that much, but hey we're nice people) and we chat when I drop off/pick the boy up from work (we share a car.) I don't want to make it awkward, but I also don't particularly want this guy and his friends to try to come hang out after the parks close as well.
I did tell him my days were pretty planned out but that we could meet up for fireworks. Let's see how this goes without him asking me to give him my cell phone number :lol:

Upvote 0

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I've been considering deleting my facebook and this may be what does it for me :lol:

Anyway, he's not really a friend. He's my boyfriend's co-worker (who neither of us really likes that much, but hey we're nice people) and we chat when I drop off/pick the boy up from work (we share a car.) I don't want to make it awkward, but I also don't particularly want this guy and his friends to try to come hang out after the parks close as well.
I did tell him my days were pretty planned out but that we could meet up for fireworks. Let's see how this goes without him asking me to give him my cell phone number :lol:

You could always try the reliable "meeting up for fireworks and then not finding him and his friends in the crowd" routine....:)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom