UFO Sighting: Disney Drones

R W B

Okay, let's put it this way:

You're walking down MSUSA and out of nowhere, a remote controlled helicopters comes crashing down on your loved one. You are likely to sue the bloody hell out of Disney and the helicopter operator... Because no one in their right mind expects a remote control helicopter to fall on them on vacation.

So it's not a chance of risk - we all know driving is statistically dangerous - but rather it's a question of liability.
And theirs absolutely zero chance of a Space Orbitor ride car falling with your child in it? Zero chance of any of the rides at wdw coming off of their tracks and crashing and injuring people? No, theirs always a risk involved. No matter how small it is, it's still there.

flynnibus

Premium Member
And theirs absolutely zero chance of a Space Orbitor ride car falling with your child in it? Zero chance of any of the rides at wdw coming off of their tracks and crashing and injuring people? No, theirs always a risk involved. No matter how small it is, it's still there.

You are going to extremes and glossing over the key issues of PROBABILITY and ability to AVOID. An attraction is rigorously designed to avoid this, strenuously tested, maintained and INSPECTED to minimize that risk. Amateur RC products are not.

RC copters have no failsafe for power or mechanical failures - hence making this a high risk compared to other systems you compare to. When one is responsible for public safety, you don't take risks you don't NEED to.

R W B

You are going to extremes and glossing over the key issues of PROBABILITY and ability to AVOID. An attraction is rigorously designed to avoid this, strenuously tested, maintained and INSPECTED to minimize that risk. Amateur RC products are not.

RC copters have no failsafe for power or mechanical failures - hence making this a high risk compared to other systems you compare to. When one is responsible for public safety, you don't take risks you don't NEED to.
I completely understand not taking risks that's not needed but I think you all are over reacting about these "drones". Some people here are acting like these will absolutely fall from the sky and kill a massive amount of people. Could one have a failure of some sort, crash and injure someone or even a group, sure it's possible but I'm just mearly stating theirs a lot of other risks that are possible too.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Could one have a failure of some sort, crash and injure someone or even a group, sure it's possible but I'm just mearly stating theirs a lot of other risks that are possible too.

Other risks.. of course. A building could catch on fire and do a lot more harm. But when one is repsonsible for your actions and the safety of others who have entrusted you... and not just some guy flying his hobby copter... there are higher standards. And you aren't allowed to host the public in that commerical space without the proper safety elements to minimize the risk and harm from a fire. The same can't be said for RC copters.

The thought process of an individual acting on their own is not the same as a commercial entity hosting the public.

fillerup

If the claims about this thing are true, what guy wouldn't want one.

Auto pilot thru Google maps or GPS waypoint.
Return home function.
Altitude control.
Follow Me mode.
Weighs around 1 pound, can carry a 1/2 pound payload.

So a hypothetical - you're staying at Orange Lake resort - you could do a ten minute flyover of KS and what's the consequence. Orange Lake probably wouldn't care, even if they knew. Disney wouldn't be able to do anything about it because they couldn't find you. Only a matter of time I suppose.

Video and details at Kickstarter

40b516376810eee714f4600ca3107099_large.jpg

Cesar R M

there is a huge difference between an enclosed system with controlled enviroment vs something that can fail anytime.

If something is wrong with a ride system, you can stop it safely by pressing the emergency stop.

If a drone stops.. it can go only one way.. DOWN and HARD.
batteries dead? tough luck buddy! drone goes DOWN!
batteries dead in the remote control? ohh so bad! drone goes out of control!
wind effect? uncontrolled problem? rotor or engine problems? birdstrike? DRONE IS GOING DOWN.

Victor Kelly

They tried using them over paintball and airsoft games. They were shot out of the sky rather easily. The bigger ones can be taken out with shotguns shooting birdshot. It is just expesive skeet shooting to us rednecks.

These things are cool. As a videographer and phtographer they have their uses. But they are closing in on violation of peoples privacy, especially the government ones. Then you have the perv neighbor or two. But like I said, easy to knock out of the sky.

PhotoDave219

I'm not really sure what your point is. Are you arguing that Disney Should allow them? Or Are you arguing the Disney should ban them?

R W B

I'm not really sure what your point is. Are you arguing that Disney Should allow them? Or Are you arguing the Disney should ban them?
I'm arguing that people are over reacting to them in general. I personally don't care what Disney does with them however I would think they would try and ban them and keep them off property but I'm really not bothered either way.

Minnie_girl

They tried using them over paintball and airsoft games. They were shot out of the sky rather easily. The bigger ones can be taken out with shotguns shooting birdshot. It is just expesive skeet shooting to us rednecks.
75.gif

These things are cool. As a videographer and phtographer they have their uses. But they are closing in on violation of peoples privacy, especially the government ones. Then you have the perv neighbor or two. But like I said, easy to knock out of the sky.

I bet, those things look a bit fragile.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
there is a huge difference between an enclosed system with controlled enviroment vs something that can fail anytime.

If something is wrong with a ride system, you can stop it safely by pressing the emergency stop.

If a drone stops.. it can go only one way.. DOWN and HARD.
batteries dead? tough luck buddy! drone goes DOWN!
batteries dead in the remote control? ohh so bad! drone goes out of control!
wind effect? uncontrolled problem? rotor or engine problems? birdstrike? DRONE IS GOING DOWN.

This applies to Drones operated by LEO's as well and even Military drones. They are useful but they have risks.

Thunder Kz

Original Poster
We need to get one of these over Dino World (always wondered what's up with that place).

The one I saw was probably just Sea World dropping propoganda to counteract Blackfish.

Beholder

I find the obsession that some people have watching other people more than disturbing. Wether it's "reality" programming, social network sites, the culture of "selfies", and now r/c copters/drones with the ability to look over my fence or peep at the neighbors pool, that's what bothers me. I'm not worried that one will fall on me or crash into my car, but wether or not some disturbed individual is watching their 7 year old neighbors birthday party. And that concern will (soon enough) apply to beaches, hotels, parks, water parks, theme parks and all of its pools and rec areas.

Cesar R M

I'm arguing that people are over reacting to them in general. I personally don't care what Disney does with them however I would think they would try and ban them and keep them off property but I'm really not bothered either way.
the irony.. because you keep overreacting and exaggerating/inflating your arguments about stuff that can happen.

This applies to Drones operated by LEO's as well and even Military drones. They are useful but they have risks.
reminds me when IRAN supposedly took down a state of the line stealth drone by manipulating the GPS signals... XD

R W B

the irony.. because you keep overreacting and exaggerating/inflating your arguments about stuff that can happen.
I wouldn't say I was over reacting, I was simply stating and pointing out some risks in everyday life. Others here were making it seem like every drone out there is going to crash and blow up.

Cesar R M

I wouldn't say I was over reacting, I was simply stating and pointing out some risks in everyday life. Others here were making it seem like every drone out there is going to crash and blow up.
the Risks you mentioned.. are risks that people have no control on.
The drone can be simply removed of the equation and there would be ZERO danger.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I find the obsession that some people have watching other people more than disturbing. Wether it's "reality" programming, social network sites, the culture of "selfies", and now r/c copters/drones with the ability to look over my fence or peep at the neighbors pool, that's what bothers me. I'm not worried that one will fall on me or crash into my car, but wether or not some disturbed individual is watching their 7 year old neighbors birthday party. And that concern will (soon enough) apply to beaches, hotels, parks, water parks, theme parks and all of its pools and rec areas.

I'm frequently in the field with setups like the one below - no not military so no BDU's and Cabbage Patch helmet
so amateur drone operators find what I do 'interesting' I really don't need some moron with a dangerous flying machine trying to check out what I'm doing and since I'm usually generating a signficant RF footprint at the same time it's very likely that the drone will go out of control.
MobileITCases.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom