Uber

photomatt

I'm just curious. What kind of insurance (not an ins. company name, but the type of coverage) do the Uber drivers need to have to have that job? As a passenger in a taxi, I know that the taxi companies will have (some sort of ) liability insurance in case a passenger was injured in an accident, for example.

Mears is self-insured and fully compliant with Florida laws.

If you request an UberXL the driver carries their own commercial vehicle-for-hire insurance which fully complies with Florida laws.

If you request an UberX, Uber Select, or Lyft the insurance is provided by Marsh, USA (formerly James River). The insurance provided is considered third-party liability. When you are in the vehicle you are covered by a one million dollar CSL policy. CSL means Combined Single Limits. Your best bet is to Google that for the most accurate definition. You are also covered by a one million dollar uninsured motorist policy.

The simplest explanation is that if you're in a Mears taxi, or any Uber or Lyft vehicle, the insurance meets or exceeds Florida minimums.

photomatt

Mears charges about $100 a day. I would say a percentage model is better. If you drive a Mears cab and have a slow day you could end up paying for the privledge of driving a taxi for the day rather than making money.
The lowest 12 hour rate for a sedan is $105. The highest 12 hour rate for a sedan is $143. The rate depends upon the type of vehicle and where the vehicle can work.

photomatt

I also don't think it's a coincidence that Mears hasn't raised their rates in a while.
Mears does not directly set their rates. The City of Orlando holds meetings every few years to determine the rates that all taxis must charge. For simplicity, Mears applies the Orlando rates to all of their cabs, even the ones that can't pick up in Orlando.

This is important to know because if you take a non-Mears cab you can end up paying much more. Several cab companies that only pick up in Orange County charge $2.55/mile instead of Orlando's $2.40/mile. There is also no guarantee the meters are accurate on the non-Mears vehicles.

s8film40

Mears does not directly set their rates. The City of Orlando holds meetings every few years to determine the rates that all taxis must charge. For simplicity, Mears applies the Orlando rates to all of their cabs, even the ones that can't pick up in Orlando.
Yes, I am aware of that but I know Mears has a lot of pull with the city. I'm sure if they felt it was a good time to increase the rates the rates would be increased.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Long thread and I'm late to it, but we tried using Uber last year while at the CBR. The driver spent 20 minutes drive back and forth not able to figure out how to enter the resort. I'm serious, using the app, I saw him driving back and forth. I finally cancelled the ride and picked up a taxi.

JillC LI

Good to know @photomatt, but I have a question about tips. My sister arranged for an uber car for me in Texas last month, and she told me that she took care of the tip in advance. Is there a way to do that online if you don't have cash on you? I've never used uber myself.

photomatt

Good to know @photomatt, but I have a question about tips. My sister arranged for an uber car for me in Texas last month, and she told me that she took care of the tip in advance. Is there a way to do that online if you don't have cash on you? I've never used uber myself.

The Uber app does not have an option to tip. The Lyft app does, but you will usually get an Uber before you get a Lyft.

photomatt

Long thread and I'm late to it, but we tried using Uber last year while at the CBR. The driver spent 20 minutes drive back and forth not able to figure out how to enter the resort. I'm serious, using the app, I saw him driving back and forth. I finally cancelled the ride and picked up a taxi.
Unfortunately this is even more common now. Most of the riders I pick up at Disney tell me their other Uber drivers are always brand new. Just yesterday I had a rider tell me their driver couldn't get them back to the Grand Floridian without making multiple attempts. This is really unacceptable considering how easy it is to use the Uber GPS or Google Maps.

Uber's turnover is extremely high. There is no denying that.

s8film40

Unfortunately this is even more common now. Most of the riders I pick up at Disney tell me their other Uber drivers are always brand new. Just yesterday I had a rider tell me their driver couldn't get them back to the Grand Floridian without making multiple attempts. This is really unacceptable considering how easy it is to use the Uber GPS or Google Maps.

To be fair same thing happens with the taxis all the time too.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.

I don't understand how an Uber driver can get lost as long as the rider drops the pin in the right spot and gives the correct address of their destination. The Uber app makes it so easy to just switch over to Google Maps/Waze/etc and drive directly to the rider. I've picked up and driven people all over my area and had absolutely no idea where I was. I just followed the directions in the Uber Partner app and the trip was completed without issue. It isn't exactly rocket science.

J_Krafty24

Its not just Uber cars and Taxis. My sister-in-law was once on a DME bus that go lost on the way to All Star Music. Passed the McDonalds over there 5 times while circling the area over and over.

JillC LI

The Uber app does not have an option to tip. The Lyft app does, but you will usually get an Uber before you get a Lyft.

Interesting. I wonder if it differs in different states because she assured me that she had included a tip. If she's wrong, I think she'd want to know because she's not one to not tip people. I'll have to tell her to double check.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Unfortunately this is even more common now.
The funny thing is, I don't think they were using a GPS because it would have told him to "turn here" I can't tell you how many times I saw him drive by (via the app). I called and texted him a number of times to help him out. At some point we needed to cut bait and get a taxi otherwise we would have missed our reservation.

Next time we're there and need a ride, I'll be using the taxi service. It's a no brainer as you get a known quantity. I've never been disappointed with the Mears taxi service.

Seminole09

Thanks for the helpful info. At MCO, are you able to walk into the Hyatt Regency that's attached to the airport and pick up an Uber from the Hyatt's front drive?

I am a current part-time Uber driver in Orlando.

The Uber app will not allow you to request an Uber on MCO property. What people do to get picked up at the airport is to take a free shuttle to one of the nearby hotels. Once they are at the hotel they will request an Uber. This is perfectly OK. Some people will drop the pin somewhere outside of MCO property and then call the driver and explain that they want to be picked up at the airport. I personally won't pick up someone at the airport if they do this, but others will. I have no problem picking up someone at one of the nearby hotels.

Uber can pick up and drop off anywhere on Disney property. At first, some of the parking booth attendants would ask Uber drivers to pay, but they have stopped that (or at least it happens less frequently). I have an annual pass so I just show that if I need to get through. I have never had any issues. At the MK, pickup and drop-off is easy because there is dedicated 15 minute parking. At the other parks it is a little more tricky, so you need to call your driver to confirm the pickup location.

Taxi rates are $2.40 a mile. Uber's non-surge rates are 75 cents a mile plus 13 cents a minute. An Uber vehicle is almost always cleaner and you will never get taken a longer route than necessary. The downside is that you might have to wait a few minutes for an Uber to show up, whereas taxis are usually waiting for you everywhere on Disney property.

You would think more people would use Uber, but they don't. It's so much easier than taking the buses, and it's not expensive. For example, if you wanted to go from the MK to the Animal Kingdom Lodge you would pay about $20 in a taxi. That same ride would cost about $8 in an Uber, if there was no surge. Even if there was a surge, it has to get to 3.2 in order to get to the same rate as a taxi.

If you do take an Uber, remember that the tip is NOT included. It's not the driver's fault that Uber has not included a tip button. If you can tip the bellman to put a suitcase in your trunk, it is OK to tip the driver who takes your suitcase out of the trunk and drove you safely to your destination. I realize that some readers might find this controversial, but if you can tip a taxi driver why won't you tip an Uber driver? Again, the service is usually superior and the vehicle is much nicer and cleaner. If more people would tip, there would be more drivers, and riders would not have to wait as long when they request a ride.

Also, any rating less than 5 stars means you want your driver fired. No, it doesn't make any sense, but Uber will deactivate drivers with less than a 4.6 rating. So, anything less than 5 stars is unacceptable, according to Uber.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

photomatt

Thanks for the helpful info. At MCO, are you able to walk into the Hyatt Regency that's attached to the airport and pick up an Uber from the Hyatt's front drive?
That is creative, but it won't work. The pickup location has to be completely off of airport property.

Rob562

I don't understand how an Uber driver can get lost as long as the rider drops the pin in the right spot and gives the correct address of their destination. The Uber app makes it so easy to just switch over to Google Maps/Waze/etc and drive directly to the rider. I've picked up and driven people all over my area and had absolutely no idea where I was. I just followed the directions in the Uber Partner app and the trip was completed without issue. It isn't exactly rocket science.

One of our Uber drivers had trouble getting into POFQ back in June. I dropped the pin right by the front lobby and his GPS was trying to tell him to enter via one of the non-staffed gates that the buses use.

Our only other hiccup that trip was the Uber driver trying to pick us up at the Holiday Inn on Hotel Plaza Blvd accidentally went next door to the B Resort (which I guess is understandable, the two buildings are only like 50 yards apart)

-Rob

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
One of our Uber drivers had trouble getting into POFQ back in June. I dropped the pin right by the front lobby and his GPS was trying to tell him to enter via one of the non-staffed gates that the buses use.

Our only other hiccup that trip was the Uber driver trying to pick us up at the Holiday Inn on Hotel Plaza Blvd accidentally went next door to the B Resort (which I guess is understandable, the two buildings are only like 50 yards apart)

-Rob

I suppose service roads and backstage areas could pose a problem around Disney property. One time I did have Google Maps take me to a pickup location and I was one street over from where I needed to be. The riders house was on a cul de sac that backed up to another cul de sac. I guess the rider was too far away from the actual road because the GPS took me basically to their backyard via the street that ran behind their house.

This is why a little common sense and vague knowledge of the area does help when driving for Uber.

Rob562

I suppose service roads and backstage areas could pose a problem around Disney property. One time I did have Google Maps take me to a pickup location and I was one street over from where I needed to be. The riders house was on a cul de sac that backed up to another cul de sac. I guess the rider was too far away from the actual road because the GPS took me basically to their backyard via the street that ran behind their house.

This is why a little common sense and vague knowledge of the area does help when driving for Uber.

If the driver is using the Waze app rather than the built-in GPS in Uber, I think Waze has those Disney-only entrances set as private roads and won't route you through them. It'll take the publicly-open roads to the guard shack entrance.

-Rob

KLinder7

I had a Uber driver in Chicago try to have me cancel my Uber trip once in his car as he said I would pay the same price but he would make more since he didn't have to give a cut away. Believe his car was also a Taxi who also did Uber trips on the side. I did not cancel.

jloucks

I had a Uber driver in Chicago try to have me cancel my Uber trip once in his car as he said I would pay the same price but he would make more since he didn't have to give a cut away. Believe his car was also a Taxi who also did Uber trips on the side. I did not cancel.
If he was a Taxi, that would have been ok (unless he was a big liar and charged you taxi rates). But, no, you don't ever want to ride in an Uber car without the meter running (insurance and security reasons).

You don't, as a Uber driver want to drive without the meter running for the same reasons.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom