Uber

Rob562

When I sign into my account online the option is at the bottom of the page... Don't see it on the phone app... Weird.. thoughts?

And BTW... The default was 20%...

View attachment 115055

That us for Uber Taxi, which sends you a regular taxi rather than an Uber driver. (And I don't think it's an option in all cities) This does not apply to UberX or UberXL, which most people use when they use Uber.

-Rob

DfromATX

I'm from Texas and we use über quite a bit here. Very safe responsible way to get home if you've been drinking. Similar to a cab just cheaper and faster for those who have never heard of it. My question is... Does Disney allow uber to pick you up or drop you off at Parks? If so do you have to pay for parking even though you're just getting dropped off? We have an early December trip we just booked and it's off site, this is why I ask. Thanks in advance.

Something funny... I'm also in Texas and I have never heard of uber until I saw your post lol. Now I'm hearing about it all the time!

jloucks

Uber is kicking the cab companies behind because of the information uber gives the rider ie good data on availability and an ACCURATE ETA not like a cab where the driver shows up somewhere in a 1 hour window. I'd use Uber if it cost MORE than a cab because the scheduling information gives me more control over my time

If the cab companies were SMART they would license use of the Uber/Lyft apps but instead they want to cling to an outdated business model where the cabby rather than the rider is in control of the schedule.

I am sure that is true to some extent, but the biggest reason cab companies are getting tromped is simply price. Uber reasonable - Cabs Extortion. That simple.

Biased opinion as I am an occasional Uber driver for fun.

jloucks

It's ridiculous you make so much less then drivers in other cities. However...

It's not the riders problem. Period. End of sentence. Uber is a tip free service, and it should stay that way.

You guys, as a group need to talk to uber about raising the per mile rate.

Yea, that's not how it works anymore. Back when we had unions it worked. Now it is an endless supply of cheap labor (called scabs in the 50's) willing to replace anyone not willing to work for $8 an hour.

The irony being that Uber drivers would like to make what the Taxi drivers are making, but that of course would render them noncompetitive.

The problem is the Uber organization itself stripping the wealth from the drivers to themselves. 20% cut!? Seriously? 3% would be more reasonable. 10% at most. 20% is a joke. Not even credit card companies charge that much, and they have far more infrastructure. We need an open source solution, and that will eventually happen, mark my words.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Yea, that's not how it works anymore. Back when we had unions it worked. Now it is an endless supply of cheap labor (called scabs in the 50's) willing to replace anyone not willing to work for $8 an hour.

The irony being that Uber drivers would like to make what the Taxi drivers are making, but that of course would render them noncompetitive.

The problem is the Uber organization itself stripping the wealth from the drivers to themselves. 20% cut!? Seriously? 3% would be more reasonable. 10% at most. 20% is a joke. Not even credit card companies charge that much, and they have far more infrastructure. We need an open source solution, and that will eventually happen, mark my words.

Open source solution? Such as?

Having the Uber name backing you gives customers confidence in the service. A random dude picking me up, without the uber banner is going to be make me very uncomfortable. And really, probably will never happen.

jloucks

Open source solution? Such as?

Having the Uber name backing you gives customers confidence in the service. A random dude picking me up, without the uber banner is going to be make me very uncomfortable. And really, probably will never happen.

I get your point, but open source doesn't necessarily mean completely ungoverned. There are many open source systems in use now that are highly controlled and secure.

I didn't go into it because I start to sound like a sci-fi wackjob, but open source AI will also be here soon (20-40 years) and that will be the end game for Uber, and all other information middle men.

Dubman

That us for Uber Taxi, which sends you a regular taxi rather than an Uber driver. (And I don't think it's an option in all cities) This does not apply to UberX or UberXL, which most people use when they use Uber.

-Rob

Gotcha! Thank you for clarifying that.. Makes more sense now.. Will be sure to tip. :)

Looks like we will be using uberx the first day, then xl the next 2 when we will have a group of 5... (4 adults, 1 child)

Awesome info in this thread!

s8film40

While Disney can't really do anything to stop Uber, they are certainly trying to find ways to keep them out. There's nothing they can really do legally, it's no different than someone dropping off or picking up a friend. The "gypsy" cabs have been around for many years but Disney has always been able to block them by not allowing them to solicit on property by waiting at hotels or them park parking lots. Disney and Mears aggressively try to identify these drivers and keep them off property. The difference is now the soliciting all takes place through the app directly between the driver and the guest, there's just no way to stop that from happening.

This is now jeopardizing a source of revenue for Disney and Mears so I would expect them to get more creative in ways to try to stop this. Mears pays Disney for the privilege of operating a monopoly on their property. When you pay your Mears taxi fare your driver, Disney and Mears are all making money. Now when you pay your reduced Uber fare just the driver and Uber are making money so Disney and Mears are getting cut out of the equation.

matt9112

While Disney can't really do anything to stop Uber, they are certainly trying to find ways to keep them out. There's nothing they can really do legally, it's no different than someone dropping off or picking up a friend. The "gypsy" cabs have been around for many years but Disney has always been able to block them by not allowing them to solicit on property by waiting at hotels or them park parking lots. Disney and Mears aggressively try to identify these drivers and keep them off property. The difference is now the soliciting all takes place through the app directly between the driver and the guest, there's just no way to stop that from happening.

This is now jeopardizing a source of revenue for Disney and Mears so I would expect them to get more creative in ways to try to stop this. Mears pays Disney for the privilege of operating a monopoly on their property. When you pay your Mears taxi fare your driver, Disney and Mears are all making money. Now when you pay your reduced Uber fare just the driver and Uber are making money so Disney and Mears are getting cut out of the equation.

It's a tough thing to do. Look at taxi cab industrys in major citys. Here in boston Uber can be half as much as a taxi. And this problem was created by taxis creating de facto monopolys with the medalions.

Essentially the cartel like economic situation regarding the taxi industry drove up costs and decreased service and or value. (No need to provide good service because customer has no choice) and thus created a gaping hole for Uber to exploit.

Last edited:

s8film40

It's a tough thing to do. Look at taxi cab industrys in major citys. Here in boston Uber can be half as much as a taxi. And this problem was created by taxis creating de facto monopolys with the medalions.

Essentially the cartel like economic situation regarding the taxi industry drove up costs and decreased service and or value. (No need to provide good service because customer has no choice) and thus created a gaping hole for Uber to exploit.
Yep, and now with new technology (Uber App) they don't know how to combat it.

I think both Uber and taxis have their pros and cons, neither are quite as bad as the other makes them out to be. Like you said there's no need for customer service or competitive rates when you have a monopoly. I actually heard a Mears driver at a Disney hotel say once, "I don't talk to guests, the meter talks to guests". I also don't think it's a coincidence that Mears hasn't raised their rates in a while, I think if it wasn't for Uber they would have already gone up.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Still for a lot of us its the predictability of Uber in NYC ive frequently called a cab to get to Penn Station if I'm up at Rockefeller center if the weather is miserable. You wait 30 minutes no cab and you end up walking because the train is not going to wait for you. With Uber you make an appointment on the app and the class of car shows up within a narrow window of the appointed time. That's worth more than saving a few bucks over the cab.

R W B

I understand what you're saying but at the same time if it wasn't for Uber, I wouldn't have a supply of paying riders to pick up so I don't mind sharing 20% of the trip with Uber.

s8film40

I understand what you're saying but at the same time if it wasn't for Uber, I wouldn't have a supply of paying riders to pick up so I don't mind sharing 20% of the trip with Uber.
Mears charges about $100 a day. I would say a percentage model is better. If you drive a Mears cab and have a slow day you could end up paying for the privledge of driving a taxi for the day rather than making money.

R W B

Mears charges about $100 a day. I would say a percentage model is better. If you drive a Mears cab and have a slow day you could end up paying for the privledge of driving a taxi for the day rather than making money.
Exactly, Uber only makes money when I make money.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
plus your own hours...got plans no big deal.

I'm just curious. What kind of insurance (not an ins. company name, but the type of coverage) do the Uber drivers need to have to have that job? As a passenger in a taxi, I know that the taxi companies will have (some sort of ) liability insurance in case a passenger was injured in an accident, for example.

matt9112

I'm just curious. What kind of insurance (not an ins. company name, but the type of coverage) do the Uber drivers need to have to have that job? As a passenger in a taxi, I know that the taxi companies will have (some sort of ) liability insurance in case a passenger was injured in an accident, for example.

you would have to ask an uber driver. my father drives though and i don't believe you have anything more than regular insurance. if you where my friend and i gave you a ride do you ask for more insurance? i do know alot of insurance company's now ask if your going to use it for uber or lyft and will adjust your rate as far as additional coverage no idea.

from uber website.
From the moment you get into any Uber product (e.g. uberX, UberBLACK) to the moment you’re dropped off, your ride is covered by commercial liability insurance. That goes for every trip in every city around the world. In the U.S. specifically, ridesharing has become a popular choice—and Uber is the first company to ensure true end-to-end insurance coverage for ridesharing, with drivers on uberX protected by liability coverage even between trips.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
you would have to ask an uber driver. my father drives though and i don't believe you have anything more than regular insurance. if you where my friend and i gave you a ride do you ask for more insurance? i do know alot of insurance company's now ask if your going to use it for uber or lyft and will adjust your rate as far as additional coverage no idea.

from uber website.
From the moment you get into any Uber product (e.g. uberX, UberBLACK) to the moment you’re dropped off, your ride is covered by commercial liability insurance. That goes for every trip in every city around the world. In the U.S. specifically, ridesharing has become a popular choice—and Uber is the first company to ensure true end-to-end insurance coverage for ridesharing, with drivers on uberX protected by liability coverage even between trips.

Thanks for the response. Good to know that they are covered by commercial liability insurance. That answers my question.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.

I had to provide my own insurance information to Uber when I applied to be a driver. I was not required to notify my insurance company that I will be using my car for commercial purposes. However each trip is covered by Uber's insurance policy to some extent. The name of the insurance company is listed on the waybill for each trip although the name of the company escapes me right now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom