Uber

R W B

Uber is a concept whose time has come. The only issue for our WDW trips is that we are always four people, with bags, so calling a car, versus picking a minivan out of a lineup is more difficult. I'm assuming there are Uber SUVs present in Orlando, if that's the case, then I guess we'll give that a try next time.
The only real way to make sure you get a SUV/Mini Van with Uber is to choose an UberXL otherwise you could have a Honda civic/nissan versa show up and that won't fit you all with luggage lol.

photomatt

Also, I 100% disagree with you about the tips.
I said that riders CAN tip if they want. I have never said anywhere that a tip is expected.

I'm glad that Uber drivers in NOLA can make respectable money. In Orlando, this is not the case. The mileage rate here is 75 cents per mile.

Uber sends out a weekly summary that shows how you compare to other drivers. It shows that the average driver in Orlando makes $17/hr in fares. That is the gross amount. You then need to subtract 20 percent for Uber's fee, and then another 20 percent for gas and depreciation. That brings the total to around $10 per hour. This number does not include unpaid tolls a driver pays after dropping off at the airport. If you make several airport trips during the day, the per hour earnings goes down to about $8.

If drivers can pay $1.35 per mile in New Orleans they could pay it here. It's 95 cents per mile in Tampa and Miami. It's $1.80/mile in Pensacola and Cocoa Beach. Uber intentionally charges lower-than-average rates here because they are trying to take as much business as possible from Mears and the existing transportation industry. The drivers are the ones who are bearing the burden of this. Uber just raised the Safe Rides Fee to $1.85, which means they got a raise and the drivers got nothing.

People should use Uber if it is what they want. What they should realize is that Orlando drivers are driving for some of the lowest rates in the entire country, and the business is not at a level where a driver constantly stays busy. There is still considerable wait time between fares.

This post is not an attempt to solicit tips. The only purpose is to inform riders, and potential riders, that there is a hidden cost to the low fares you pay in Orlando. Most riders I talk to have no idea how the rates here compare to other markets. Most are shocked when they learn this.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I said that riders CAN tip if they want. I have never said anywhere that a tip is expected.

I'm glad that Uber drivers in NOLA can make respectable money. In Orlando, this is not the case. The mileage rate here is 75 cents per mile.

Uber sends out a weekly summary that shows how you compare to other drivers. It shows that the average driver in Orlando makes $17/hr in fares. That is the gross amount. You then need to subtract 20 percent for Uber's fee, and then another 20 percent for gas and depreciation. That brings the total to around $10 per hour. This number does not include unpaid tolls a driver pays after dropping off at the airport. If you make several airport trips during the day, the per hour earnings goes down to about $8.

If drivers can pay $1.35 per mile in New Orleans they could pay it here. It's 95 cents per mile in Tampa and Miami. It's $1.80/mile in Pensacola and Cocoa Beach. Uber intentionally charges lower-than-average rates here because they are trying to take as much business as possible from Mears and the existing transportation industry. The drivers are the ones who are bearing the burden of this. Uber just raised the Safe Rides Fee to $1.85, which means they got a raise and the drivers got nothing.

People should use Uber if it is what they want. What they should realize is that Orlando drivers are driving for some of the lowest rates in the entire country, and the business is not at a level where a driver constantly stays busy. There is still considerable wait time between fares.

This post is not an attempt to solicit tips. The only purpose is to inform riders, and potential riders, that there is a hidden cost to the low fares you pay in Orlando. Most riders I talk to have no idea how the rates here compare to other markets. Most are shocked when they learn this.
It's ridiculous you make so much less then drivers in other cities. However...

It's not the riders problem. Period. End of sentence. Uber is a tip free service, and it should stay that way.

You guys, as a group need to talk to uber about raising the per mile rate.

photomatt

It's not the riders problem. Period. End of sentence.
I disagree, but I do understand your opinion.
Uber is a tip free service, and it should stay that way.

"Tip free" is not correct. That is not what Uber says. Riders assume that. When Uber came to Orlando they said the tip was included. That was when they charged $1.50/mile. They backed off of that once they lowered their rates. The fact that they originally said that the tip was included is proof that tips were part of their business model. You should also consider that Lyft currently has a tip button on their app.

Here is what Uber now says on their Orlando cities page (https://www.uber.com/cities/orlando): *Uber is not a transportation provider. No need to tip. Flat rates apply to direct trips between specified locations. Additional stops may result in a higher fare. Applicable tolls and surcharges may be added to your fare. At times of intense demand, our rates change over time to keep vehicles available.

In this case I think the word "need" is subjective. Uber does not say you shouldn't tip, and Uber does not say you can't tip. Uber only says "no need to tip." How nice that a 50 billion dollar company thinks a driver making around $10/hour doesn't need a tip, considering that shuttle drivers, limo drivers and taxi drivers are routinely tipped.

Let me be perfectly clear about this. No Uber driver does this expecting to get tipped. If they do, they won't last long. I just think riders need to completely understand all of the issues involved. If you think I am begging for tips then you are refusing to understand what I'm writing. All I am saying is that you CAN tip if you want, and riders need to stop hiding behind a false premise as a reason not to tip.

Here is what should happen. If you receive service that is worthy of a tip then you should consider giving one. You should never think you are being forced to give a tip, and you should never think the driver expects a tip. However, you should also stop using twisted logic based on a false premise as a reason to justify not giving a tip. That is what is happening now.

For the record, when I say "you" I don't mean you personally. I am referring to people in the most general sense possible.

Last edited:

DHoy

I'm not sure how I feel about uber driver complaining. I mean a business brought a platform to your city that provided you a JOB. I guess the other option is unemployment, minimum wage or entrepreneur. I can't sympathize with people who complain about their employer. There's no law against being an entrepreneur so if you think you're worth more risk your own money and time and go after it; but if you're unwilling then don't complain.

Matt_Black

I'm not sure how I feel about uber driver complaining. I mean a business brought a platform to your city that provided you a JOB. I guess the other option is unemployment, minimum wage or entrepreneur. I can't sympathize with people who complain about their employer. There's no law against being an entrepreneur so if you think you're worth more risk your own money and time and go after it; but if you're unwilling then don't complain.

On the other hand, employers should treat employees fairly, especially when the business is seen as successful.

DHoy

On the other hand, employers should treat employees fairly, especially when the business is seen as successful.

if the employment is unfair the employee should self terminate (ie quit). However if the employee retains employment, said employment provides value to employees livelihood. And if employee retains continued employment, the status quo requires the assumption that employment is satisfactory otherwise said employee would find better options elsewhere.

photomatt

There is so much I can say to this, but I'm not going to derail this thread even more. I appreciate your response, however misguided it may be.

photomatt

http://nypost.com/2015/08/12/does-your-uber-driver-expect-a-tip/

Looks like this is becoming an issue.

Uber drivers giving riders poor ratings based on Ubers stated policy is flat out ridiculous. I may start giving all drivers 1 star going forward. Regardless of service level.

When you give a driver a 1 star rating the app will prevent you from ever getting that driver again. The same goes for riders. If the driver gives you a 1 star rating the app will prevent the driver from getting that rider again. If you give all of your drivers a 1 star rating you will potentially prevent yourself from getting a ride in that area.

I do not condone drivers giving riders low ratings based on tips. I have never given any rider less than 5 stars, even the ones that have left food and trash in my car.

photomatt

If you use Uber to get picked up from a theme park the best thing to do is go to where the taxis are and make your request there. If you do this you will make sure your pin represents where you actually are, and that a driver can get to you. If you make a request while you are still in a park it creates confusion for new drivers because your pin will reflect the location you initially made the request. If you decide to make a ride request while you are in a park make sure you call the driver to confirm your location, if the driver doesn't call you first.

One exception to this rule is at EPCOT. If you are in World Showcase the easiest thing to do is exit the park between France and the UK and then walk to the Boardwalk resort. Once you are outside the lobby, make your request. There are usually Ubers right across the street at the Speedway gas station, so your wait will be minimal. If you want to exit the front of EPCOT the easiest location for pickup is underneath the left monorail beam where the electric vehicle charging stations are. Once you arrive you can make your request there.

Another exception to this rule is when you exit the MK. You can choose to take the monorail or ferry to the TTC, or you can walk to the Contemporary. Many people are now choosing to get a taxi or Uber from the Contemporary since it's much quicker than taking the ferry or monorail during peak periods.

If you are at Disney Springs you have three options for pickup. If you are in the old Disney Marketplace area the easiest thing to do is walk to the Hilton across the street. Once you are at the Hilton you can make your request. If you are near the West Side portion of Disney Springs you should head towards Cirque du Soleil and the House of Blues. In between those two buildings you will see a walkway towards a parking lot. Once you see the taxis you can make your ride request. If it is extremely busy, like a Friday or Saturday night or during the holidays, your best bet is to walk or take the boat to Saratoga Springs. Walk to the hotel lobby and make your request there. When it's busy you can save yourself a great deal of time doing this. If you get picked up at Saratoga Springs your driver has access to many roads that don't get as congested as Buena Vista Drive.

Your driver should always call you if you make a request from a theme park or Disney Springs. If you don't get a call then you might want to call the driver to confirm your pickup location. It will save you a lot of time and confusion.

Last edited:

R W B

It's ridiculous you make so much less then drivers in other cities. However...

It's not the riders problem. Period. End of sentence. Uber is a tip free service, and it should stay that way.

You guys, as a group need to talk to uber about raising the per mile rate.

I've been told, nothing official, that New Orleans has a higher pay rate then other cities because New Orleans is a lot smaller then other cities. Places like San Fran, Miami and even Orlando are a lot bigger then New Orleans so its easier to make money in those larger cities. i do not know if this is 100% true or not though.

http://nypost.com/2015/08/12/does-your-uber-driver-expect-a-tip/

Looks like this is becoming an issue.

Uber drivers giving riders poor ratings based on Ubers stated policy is flat out ridiculous. I may start giving all drivers 1 star going forward. Regardless of service level.

If you come to New Orleans and get picked up in a Honda Pilot, try not to give me a 1 star rating please haha

AEfx

if the employment is unfair the employee should self terminate (ie quit). However if the employee retains employment, said employment provides value to employees livelihood. And if employee retains continued employment, the status quo requires the assumption that employment is satisfactory otherwise said employee would find better options elsewhere.

What it must be like to view the world through such absolute nonsense...

Dubman

@photomatt

Sorry if you have been asked before but I can't find.. In the payments section there is a spot for tip percentage.. Does uber take a cut of whatever % I put here? That would be very unfair.. Also, I do not travel with very much cash on me and like the fact that it uses paypal as a payment option.. Can I go in after a cab ride and increase the tip?? Obviously only if uber does not take a cut of it that is.. Or am I better off putiing 0% tip there and tipping driver accordingly? We are travelling in late November and plan on using uber for a few days going from Pop to Universal.

photomatt

@photomatt

In the payments section there is a spot for tip percentage.

Thanks for asking, but you might be using the Mears taxi app or the Lyft app. Uber's app does not have the option for tipping.

If you use the Mears app the driver is charged a percentage of the total amount (fare + tip). The fee goes to pay for the in-cab equipment and the credit card processing fee. For example, if the taxi fare is $10 and you tip $2, the total would be $2. The fee would be charged on $12.

I don't know enough about Lyft to know if there is a fee or not.

You do not have to tip your Uber driver. Every Uber driver knows that tips are not expected. I really appreciate you asking, though.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I drive for Uber in NJ and we definitely make a lot more than Orlando area drivers. Not sure why that is especially since I always find gas is cheaper at home than it is in FL. I wouldn't think twice about using Uber to get around WDW. If I hadn't already booked a rental car for my upcoming trip the end of this month I might have even considered going exclusively Uber to get around.

On the topic of Uber not being allowed at MCO, there is a town near me that has basically run Uber out of town and the police regularly target vehicles they believe to be Ubers. Whenever I get a ride to/from this town I ask the rider to just sit in the front seat. Problem solved. Now I am just dropping a "friend" off at the bar. I'm sure the Uber drivers around MCO are smart enough to figure this out. :cautious:

Dubman

Thanks for asking, but you might be using the Mears taxi app or the Lyft app. Uber's app does not have the option for tipping.

If you use the Mears app the driver is charged a percentage of the total amount (fare + tip). The fee goes to pay for the in-cab equipment and the credit card processing fee. For example, if the taxi fare is $10 and you tip $2, the total would be $2. The fee would be charged on $12.

I don't know enough about Lyft to know if there is a fee or not.

You do not have to tip your Uber driver. Every Uber driver knows that tips are not expected. I really appreciate you asking, though.

When I sign into my account online the option is at the bottom of the page... Don't see it on the phone app... Weird.. thoughts?

And BTW... The default was 20%...

uber.jpg

matt9112

A quick Google brought some disappointing results. Uber is under attack by the MCO Airport Authority and is being taken to court. The MCO bureaucrats don't want Uber on their property and are trying to get Uber drivers banned from pick ups and drop offs. Boo!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...r-orlando-airport-lawsuit-20150423-story.html

Fascinating that in a politically right of center state like Florida they are still trying to ban Uber from airports. Meanwhile, in states and cities that are much more left of center than Florida (like here in Southern California), airports and civic governments have listened to their citizens and allowed Uber to service all major airports.

Up with Uber, up with freedom and personal liberty! :)

Yeah California is pouring freedom.......sarcasim.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom