U.S. to temporarily relax new passport rules

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19107675/

U.S. to temporarily relax new passport rules
State Department moves to help ease backup in applications this summer

WASHINGTON - The Bush administration on Friday suspended some of its new, post-Sept. 11 requirements for flying abroad, hoping to placate Congress and irate summer travelers whose vacations have been thwarted by delays in processing their passports.

The proposal would temporarily lift a requirement that U.S. passports be used for citizens flying to and from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The rule, and its suspension, does not affect Americans driving across the Canadian or Mexican borders or taking sea cruises, although those travelers are expected to need passports beginning next year.

The suspension should allow the State Department to catch up with a massive surge in applications that has overwhelmed passport processing centers since the rule took effect this year. The resulting backlog has caused up to three-month delays for passports and ruined or delayed the travel plans of thousands of Americans.

Until the end of September, travelers will be allowed to fly without a passport if they present a State Department receipt, showing they had applied for a passport, and government-issued identification, such as a driver's license. Those who have not applied for a passport will not be allowed to travel.

Those with receipts but no passports would receive additional security scrutiny, which could include extra questioning or bag checks.

"This is further evidence that the Department of Homeland Security and the State Department are simply not ready to make this program work as well as it must," said Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y.

Sen. Norm Coleman, R-Minn., said his office has had to intervene in the cases of more than 1,400 Minnesotans frustrated by the backlog.

"DHS's decision to suspend is simply common sense, and frankly, should have been made months ago," said Coleman.

The change would help those like Judy and Darrell Green, of Rifle, Colo., who are still waiting to hear whether their son-in-law's passport will arrive in time for a a family vacation to Mexico to celebrate their 40th wedding anniversary and Darrell's 60th birthday.

Darrell Green's passport arrived Thursday, only after Rep. John Salazar, D-Colo., helped expedite it. Their son-in-law expects to get his Friday with the help of his congresswoman.

"It makes you feel kind of frantic because you've spent all that money," Judy Green said.

Homeland Security signed off on the proposal Thursday after consultations with the State Department, the White House and members of Congress, who have been deluged with calls from angry constituents seeking help with their passports.

Rep. Thomas Reynolds, R-N.Y., whose district lies near the Canadian border, said White House officials had been on Capitol Hill trying to work out a compromise amid what he called a "turf war" between State and Homeland Security.

Reynolds faulted "arrogant" officials for failing to get the system working properly, and said he was worried about even more headaches next year when passports will be required to drive into Canada or Mexico.

Lawmakers had been pushing for a change for weeks.

"To say people must have a passport to travel and not give people a passport is right up there in the stupid column," said Rep. Heather Wilson, R-N.M., who urged the State Department to lift the rule last month.

The application surge is the result of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative that since January has required U.S. citizens to use passports when entering the United States from Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean by air. It is part of a broader package of immigration rules enacted after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

Between March and May, the department issued more than 4.5 million passports. It has millions more to process, according to consular affairs officials.

Wilson's office took more than 500 calls from frustrated travelers seeking help in May alone. The problem has since spread from border states to Ohio, Pennsylvania, Kansas, Colorado and elsewhere.

This summer may not spell the end of the passport crunch. DHS has insisted it plans to go ahead with a January 2008 start for requiring passports at all land border crossing in the United States — a security measure that could trigger a new frenzy applications. The State Department is still working on creating a cheaper, passcard alternative for such land crossings.

JML42691

I'm glad that they have suspended it. I was lucky enough to have recieved mine right before they started these new requirements. The local news here in Boston showcased a family hoping to go to Aruba in 2-weeks, they did not recieve there passports until they visited the MA location personally. They sent in their original applications over 3 months ago. They government knew that this would happen so they should have prepared better.

maelstrom

I'm glad that I got my passport last year. Even though the first one they sent me had my information and someone else's picture on it... :lookaroun

beachclubbasics

My 18 year old son was supposed to go to Japan wit his Japanese class for a 3 week trip the end of June and we applied for the passport in Feb. However, he didn't get the passport until he had already missed a week of the trip...and that was with us callng the passport hotline every day for 2 weeks (the earliest they will help you) before thr trip. He did end up going (and is there now) but not until it cost me additional fees to change his ticket to a
later one. Not only was it aggravating, but it made the trip even more expensive and cost me fess that I really had to scrape together to afford. I also had to drive him 3 hours to the airport, when if he had left on time he could have gone on the bus to the airport that his school had chartered. So include more gas used, wear and tear on my car, food because we were at the airport for 3 hours after the 3 hour drive, etc in with the increased costs due to this passport snafu.

The government should be held accountable for this somehow. CNN ran a story on Sunday about families who had to change flights/trips at their cost or who totally missed their trips altogether and lost thousands. It seeems like our goverment does not care about the average person other than to see how much money they can make us spend....

mary219

My 18 year old son was supposed to go to Japan wit his Japanese class for a 3 week trip the end of June and we applied for the passport in Feb. However, he didn't get the passport until he had already missed a week of the trip...and that was with us callng the passport hotline every day for 2 weeks (the earliest they will help you) before thr trip. He did end up going (and is there now) but not until it cost me additional fees to change his ticket to a
later one. Not only was it aggravating, but it made the trip even more expensive and cost me fess that I really had to scrape together to afford. I also had to drive him 3 hours to the airport, when if he had left on time he could have gone on the bus to the airport that his school had chartered. So include more gas used, wear and tear on my car, food because we were at the airport for 3 hours after the 3 hour drive, etc in with the increased costs due to this passport snafu.

The government should be held accountable for this somehow. CNN ran a story on Sunday about families who had to change flights/trips at their cost or who totally missed their trips altogether and lost thousands. It seeems like our goverment does not care about the average person other than to see how much money they can make us spend....

My daughter is going to Ireland aug.6th with other family members.We applied for her pass port 2 weeks before memorial day,paid for expedited service and overnight mailing to get it there and back to us as quickly as possible.We recieved it on a sunday morning ,the day before memorial day.The other family members who applied in march are just recieving theirs(after much sweating).I am glad i paid for the overnight and expedited.Even at that time, the reports were that expedited was taking forever as well.The postman who delivered the envelope told my husband that was all he had with him,overnighted passports.I am so glad she got hers ,i was really nervous she would be the only one without it because we applied so much later than the rest of the group she was traveling with.

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster

#1- the government doesn't care about the average citizen

#2- there are talks about lawsuits going on... I would definitely look into this. I got my passport in 11 days, but I had to pay over $200 for that privilege. I had to pay for efficient service.

JimboJones123

I'd love to do a last minute cruise on DCL sometime, but I don't have a passport yet. Oh well, sometime I'll get to it, but it is a hassle.

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'd love to do a last minute cruise on DCL sometime, but I don't have a passport yet. Oh well, sometime I'll get to it, but it is a hassle.
Getting it isn't a hassle... it's just expensive. Waiting for it is a major hassle.

The entire process was less than 2 hours of my time, and less than $3 worth of fuel driving to Walgreens (photo), Bank (ran out of checks, so I needed money orders), Courthouse (no appointment necessary), and then Kinkos (Fedex overnight please)

dandaman

I never thought I'd see myself posting in the air transportation forum, but here I am, and in a few weeks, in Tampa International Airport I'll be. :D

I'm dual citizenship, but my passport has regrettably not come through the mail yet. (We send it to relatives in the States, but we'd be the first to know.) Our flight is supposedly on August 8th / 14th, so I'm fairly certain it won't be in. Do I need that passport to fly, or some other means of ID so I don't have to go in for a trademark "random baggage check"? :shrug:

dandaman

Taking off from Detroit Metro, not Canada. Does that still apply? I know I saw some news article concerning a lot of Canadian flyers some time ago, maybe January.

...Maybe I get the better end of the deal by being a citizen of either country. :lol:

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
leave from a US airport, you fly on your license. You'll need a birth certificate and photo ID to enter the US over land though.

summerluvin

I have a nexus card. you wont need a passport with that and you get to skip the customs lines too, so if you drive across it can come in handy.
it costs around $70.00.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom