Typhoon Lagoon vs. Volcano Bay. Who is winning?

tomast

I really love Blizzard beach, I hope it will recieve some love soon and make something new on it, I found really interesting the idea of a frozen beach.
I think VB have the best water rides, really impresive, with really bad names I cant remember even one of those. but what they win on rides they lose it on inmersion as you can see the plastic slides all over the park, they should have made de volcano 360 and not open by the back.
Typhoon is nice

Btw, do someone know wich atraction replace typhoon lagoon shark reef??

Disone

Original Poster
Bottom line locals and universal guests go to volcano Bay. A local is not going to Disney water parks
Plenty of locals go to Disney water parks. As to which of the two get more locals, that I don't know what to make the statement that locals don't go to a Disney water park is a bit absurd.

Is that true? IIRC, my resort had a bus terminal going to Typhoon Lagoon.

I VERY much doubt this. Disney doesn't even charge for parking at the water parks.

But this is irrelevant. Any Disney resort guest is a million times more likely to visit a Disney water park rather than VB.
Direct transportation from the resorts to the water parks was discontinued time ago. There's entire Thread about this. Now add in the fact that Disney doesn't even charge for parking, which you have pointed out, only reinforces that and many other Resort guess we'll just drive there. As well as locals :)

ThemeParkTraveller

For my money, Typhoon is heads and shoulders better than every other waterpark out there simply by virtue of being a better park. Its rockwork, landscaping, and theming are far more pleasant to be around than the concrete, pine trees, and neon-colored proslide hardware you see everywhere else. Volcano and Blizzard come close, but Typhoon is the only waterpark that makes me actually enjoy spending more time in it than it takes to do the big slides, shower, and get out.

I think Volcano Bay has the best rides, but I agree it doesn't execute its theme as successfully as Typhoon Lagoon (or even Blizzard Beach). Everything looks great on the surface but—for all the reasons mentioned already in this thread— the attention to detail in creating a cohesive and fully immersive environment is not up to the level of Disney's water parks. This was a disappointment after seeing Universal hype and market Volcano Bay as the first "water theme park". A 3rd gate it is definitely not... at least not any more than Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach would count as additional gates for WDW.

ColinP29

I would guess VB brings in more money so will surely be a 'Win' in those aspects.

I'm visiting Disney/Universal in October (Staying in Cabana Bay) and from the research I've done (Timtracker especially) it seems Typhoon Lagoon won't take up a full day where as VB possible can given the amount of rides available. In my book this makes VB a win as I'm getting a days experience in the park, and not a few hours.

rio

For my money, Typhoon is heads and shoulders better than every other waterpark out there simply by virtue of being a better park. Its rockwork, landscaping, and theming are far more pleasant to be around than the concrete, pine trees, and neon-colored proslide hardware you see everywhere else. Volcano and Blizzard come close, but Typhoon is the only waterpark that makes me actually enjoy spending more time in it than it takes to do the big slides, shower, and get out.

I’ve been saying this for years. The only Waterpark that has come as close as TL for me has been Aquatica. Most other water parks just aren’t great because they’re bland, directly in the sun, and just there. I haven’t been to Volcano Bay yet, but if the theming isn’t that great outside of the entrance, it won’t ever “win” in my book.

eliza61nyc

Really can't offer much as we're not "water" park aficionados and we haven't been to one once the boys got big. I read the article and agree with previous poster. this is pretty much fluff. How is the "winner" being determined? As the authored conceded VB is new as Disenys parks are much older.
@scorp16 had it right, Disney's competition isn't Universal so there really isn't a "winner" in this contest. IMO

dieboy

Volcano Bay has a 'winding river' lazy river. Its short, and packed. My water park rating is greatly dependent on how good the lazy river is. Typhoon Lagoons is nearly perfect. I could spend half a day floating around it.

Also, top down, Volcano Bay just looks like a ton of slides packed in together, similar to the now defunct wet and wild. I prefer the way Typhoon Lagoon laid the park out. It feels like there is more 'space' between everything.

HansGruber

Direct transportation from the resorts to the water parks was discontinued time ago. There's entire Thread about this.

I'll admit we didn't go to a water park this time around, but our resort did have a designated bus stop for it. I can't remember which water park it was, but it was bundled with another park (or Disney Springs). If there wasn't direct transportation, then the sign gave a false impression.

Now add in the fact that Disney doesn't even charge for parking, which you have pointed out, only reinforces that and many other Resort guess we'll just drive there. As well as locals :)

I think it more strongly reinforces the idea of locals visiting the water parks.
You're also forgetting about the percentage of airfare visitors who don't rent vehicles and don't have access to personal vehicles.
Their only option for water parks would be Disney.

Disone

Original Poster
I'll admit we didn't go to a water park this time around, but our resort did have a designated bus stop for it. I can't remember which water park it was, but it was bundled with another park (or Disney Springs). If there wasn't direct transportation, then the sign gave a false impression.

I think it more strongly reinforces the idea of locals visiting the water parks.
You're also forgetting about the percentage of airfare visitors who don't rent vehicles and don't have access to personal vehicles.
Their only option for water parks would be Disney.
It definitely left you with the wrong impression. (You are not alone, even all the bus stops at the two waterparks have been left intact) Guests going to Typhoon Lagoon must transferred to a Typhoon Lagoon bus at Disney Springs. Guests going to Blizzard Beach must transfer to a Blizzard Beach bus at Animal Kingdom.

I am not forgetting guests with out cars. Disney eliminated direct water park transportation did that because there just weren't that many guests it. So they were able to consolidate.

Just like VB the Disney waterparks still host the majority of their guest by those who drive there and park there.

disney4life2008

Plenty of locals go to Disney water parks. As to which of the two get more locals, that I don't know what to make the statement that locals don't go to a Disney water park is a bit absurd.

Direct transportation from the resorts to the water parks was discontinued time ago. There's entire Thread about this. Now add in the fact that Disney doesn't even charge for parking, which you have pointed out, only reinforces that and many other Resort guess we'll just drive there. As well as locals :)

Negative. Depends on the population.

Disone

Original Poster
Negative. Depends on the population.
Negative on your negative. I think;) I am speaking on the know here but I'm not entirely sure what you're saying negative about.

What I know is that Disney water parks receive most of their daily visit by car, not Disney provided transportation. What I can not say is how many of those arriving by car are Disney resort guests and how many are other.

Tom P.

Volcano Bay is new and so it's gotten a lot of attention. In the end, however, I would be surprised if its annual attendance surpasses that of Typhoon Lagoon. Or if it does, that it sustains that for more than one year.

Why? Simple. Because Typhoon Lagoon is at Walt Disney World and Volcano Bay is not. I'm sure there are exceptions, but as a general rule people do not plan vacations based on water parks. What draws people to the Orlando area is going to WDW or going to Universal. The water parks are an added bonus, but I'd be willing to wager a good deal of money that if people want to go to a water park, the majority will go to the one where they are. People doing a WDW trip will go to Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach; people doing a Universal trip will do Volcano Bay.

As much as Universal has grown and as good as they are, WDW is still one of the most popular -- if not the single most popular -- vacation destinations in the world. The sheer magnitude of visitors that WDW gets is, IMHO, going to keep its water parks more popular than Universal's.

Patcheslee

What about capacity comparisons? There are plenty of complaints about VB at capacity. There's nothing more annoying than getting up early and still not making it in. I don't know how TL or BB are yet but VB is horrible on that, especially when all but the cabana bay guests have to catch a bus to the entrance.

dieboy

Bottom line locals and universal guests go to volcano Bay. A local is not going to Disney water parks

Out of curiosity, where did you gleen this all telling piece of information? Its so filled with facts and attendance figures, i can barely get a handle on it.

I for one know many locals, some family, some friends, that go to Typhoon Lagoon exclusively, after having visited all the rest in town.

Disneyhead'71

What about capacity comparisons? There are plenty of complaints about VB at capacity. There's nothing more annoying than getting up early and still not making it in. I don't know how TL or BB are yet but VB is horrible on that, especially when all but the cabana bay guests have to catch a bus to the entrance.
Both VB and TL hit capacity most days during the summer. BB and Aquatica also regularly hit capacity but not as offer as the other two.
Out of curiosity, where did you gleen this all telling piece of information? Its so filled with facts and attendance figures, i can barely get a handle on it.

I for one know many locals, some family, some friends, that go to Typhoon Lagoon exclusively, after having visited all the rest in town.
I know quite a few locals that have never been to Universal and go to WDW 4 times a week. But most of the locals I know go to Aquatica. The only locals I know that go to VB are 3 Park AP holders.

mergatroid

Care to explain where you conducted your research? My wife is a lady and doesn't swim. These two factors mean when we're at Typhoon Lagoon she stays under the shade whilst I go out swimming and slide riding whilst there and she also talks to people. Then when we leave she talks to me and tells me about what she talked about to the people sat near her that day (even when I tell her to stop). What I learn from this (which is often very little), is that locals do go to Typhoon Lagoon because my wife meets them and talks to them and then tells me all about it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom